WTB: low end spey outfit

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by mtlhead, Aug 6, 2006.

1. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I don't disagree with anything Fred or Jim Swan has to say on BIG rods. I myself like a 14' model now that I'm approching my golden years.

That being said I think the naysayers are missing the point completely in that mtlhead would like to get another spey rod and doesn't have a lot of coin. I will have to say I can very much appreciate his position. I can tell you that the outfit I posted above is one Hell of a lot better then what I started with. Unfortunately the experienced spey rod market is not really overflowing with smaller/lighter tackle.

In my opinion a 15' spey rod is much better then no spey rod.

2. Sloan Craven

Sloan Craven Active Member

Amen to that... That is a screaming deal for that rod.
    I was jusat saying that if someone is looker for a lighter rod, that rod ain't it. I really am fond of the St. Croix 15'. We shared many hours on the water together. I've eaten many meals with her draped across my lap while watching the river. We've traveled many miles up and down rivers together. She was the first rod I cast and the first double -handed rod that I caught a fish with. She reminds me of when I used to stomp up and down the Clearwater. We've shared laughs, and tears. But petite, she is not.

3. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

14 foot 9 wgt is the longest I have a need for and yes after a long day on the river throwing heavy sink tips you are a little tired. St Croix makes a nice rod for the money I have not seen the new St Croix spey models yet though has anyone an opinion on those ? They are more expensive than the older st croixs which were all under $ 300 new.

:beer2:

BG

4. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

The new St. Croix's are pretty nice! I played with a few at the Clearwater Clave last year and hung out with the St. Croix rep for a few days. Definitely nice sticks and much lighter than previous models. I also really liked the smaller handles on the rods as well as the action. They were setup with Windcutter's if I remember correctly and cast pretty well with them. I would definitely like to try them with some other lines though, especially the new CND lines and see how they cast.

Unfortunately I haven't tried them since, since I didn't see them at the Sandy this year. There are two different lines, but I think they're in the $400 - $500 price range, maybe a bit more. Will have to check to be sure.

All in all though, a good line to check out and nothing like the older heavier sticks that I think of when I think back to other ones I have tried.

5. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    I doubt the St Croix rods at the Clearwater Spey Clave were set up with WindCutters as the St Croix rep for Idaho sells SA lines.

I have a Ultra 4 piece 14'-8/9 and 15'-9/10 demo rods here as well as a 3 piece Avid 14'-9/10. These rods are pretty nice and cast quite well when matched with the proper line.

6. flybill

flybill Purveyor of fine hackle, wine & cigars!

I honestly can't remember, since I tried so much while I was over there and I think the awesome homemade cookies made me forget! :clown:

He might have had them set up with the SA Short Head lines or one of the other SA lines. I tried so many combinations while I was there and at the Sandy! I may have to take you up on your demo in mid September and bring them back when I come out to your clave.

Bill :cool:

7. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Mrs. Red Shed is getting ready to start making cookies again. She says she is making a least 600 for this years event.

8. GPDD

GPDD New Member

I just posted a spey rod in the classified section. It is a G loomis 13' 9/10 IMX. Great easy casting rod. It would be a good beginner rod. You can feel it load and unload, which helps with the timing. I don't know if this is what you are looking for but there are pictures of the rod there.
    Mike

9. mtlhead

mtlhead Member

I bought a spey outfit

Well I broke down (both enotionally and financially) and found a good deal on a 7136-4 greenie over on Dana's site. My old 7136 was a early model graphite III brownie, with my only complaint being that it was too soft for my taste. I also scored a old style Lamson V3.5 that I'll pick up tomorrow, and I still have an old Wolf TT 8wt spey line from my 8150 brownie.

I did end up over budget, but I'm still only into the whole system for $450 and got what I really wanted in the first place. Now It's time to get buisy and back up to speed on my casting, Since the Jacks (silvers) have started showing I'm just in time! BTW, thanks FE for refreshing my mind about Dana's page. It's amazing how much we can forget in such a short amount of time, and the older I get the worse it is.

10. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Very Cool! In my opinion you have a great rod.

11. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

Red Shed: I'll be there to help with the cookies. :)

Bill, I think the 14' St. Croix I cast at the Clearwater last year had an S/A short head on it.

12. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:

Howdy Brent, We are looking forward to seeing you. This afternoon we moved a little gray shed close to the Red Shed. The gray shed is Josh's new warehouse. Now we have a place for all the rod tubes and other stuff that filled my office to overflowing. We are thinking about putting a roof between the two building so you guys have a shady place to share a toast and
    tell lies. :cool:

13. Scott Behn

Scott Behn Active Member

Heh Mike when is the clave over there anyways???

:cool:

14. Red Shed

Red Shed "junkyard spey"

Home Page:
    Sept, 23, 2006 at the Lenore rest area/park which is adjacent to the Clearwater and 28mi. east of Lewiston.

15. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

I'm looking forward to it. :cool:

Let the single-malt flow....