WTB: Really HEAVY Spey Reel

Discussion in 'Classifieds' started by Ed Call, Feb 14, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Steve, I'll check their specs and get back to you. I have a few other folks offering me to try the same. Thank you greatly. I will not be bringing this rod to the summer pink festival...just so you know.

2. Ed Call

3. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

A Walker Bramptom=The Scottie-looks very much like a Hardy Perfect and the design of mechanism is same-ball bearing race and weighs in at 16.3 oz when lined with 8/9 windcutter.If you are interested I can send pics-9/10 appearance and 9.5/10 mechanical with 95% plus of lead finish remains-no wobbles etc.
    Keith

4. YAMMY

YAMMY Member

Please excuse me -the reel THE SCOTTIE is made by JS Sharpes--I have the Walker Brampton reel on ebay-it is THE LENNOX-If you wish to look it up on ebay it looks almost identical to the Scottie-My apologies-it to is 4 in RHW and has a bearing race and clicker mechanism for drag-Keith

5. guybg

guybg New Member

LOL!...that oughtt'a do it! (is it a spinner?) If you like the classics, some used NASCAR stuff might work....:):)

6. Steve Saville

Steve Saville Active Member

Do you need a huge spey rod for pinks? Maybe? But I'll probably use my 5 wt switch or as they get bigger an 8 wt swith I managed to get from someone. I'm using that on the Toutle next week.

7. Greg Armstrong

Greg Armstrong OldRodsHaveMoreFun

Mumbles,
    You want big, with lots of weight? You're gonna want a 8" Hardy Fortuna "big game" reel (they don't make these anymore though). The good ones were from the '30's...
    Go here for a great photo of what you're looking for; http://clarksclassicflyrodforum.yuku.com/topic/30573

8. Ed Call

Found what I think will be the perfect reel for balancing the rod. A used Speyco from a gent that made me great deal. Tips the scales at 17 ounces empty. That ought to do just fine! Thanks to all for your suggestions and assistance.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.