Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

wtf tips

7K views 109 replies 29 participants last post by  Deceased 
#1 ·
This is dryline season....why with the tips? Desperate??:) amateur??:) caveman??:) I love throwing a longline and enjoy shorties too, but now is the time to single spey and snake roll...for get about the snap t's and dump casts. .small flies and hair wings abound. No shanks,double bunnies, or moal leeches. Nothing longer then 2 inches and sparsely tied. That's what summer fishing is to me....oh well

#42 ·
I couldn't word it any better Steve! Opportunity leads me to fish a dryline..and if I'm lucky I'll hook a fish I won't soon forget. It has been this way since I started with my mentors encouraging me to get over the urge to dredge during summer and actually experience a true surface take from a wild steelhead. Did I mention I've never caught a hatchery on a waked fly? This method leans towards hot wild fish and there tendency for chasing down flies. I'm all over that! I've seen fish come up 10 feet off the bottom to chase a wet fly, if there is a player, it's on! To each there own, ,but if this thread someday down the line changes someone's approach on a hot summer day, and they swing a dry with success ..that's all it takes to convert them,, they too will tell of the sporting way to catch fish on top. Good luck
I have caught hatchery fish on top but the number of them seems to be decreasing.

There are a number of reasons for this mostly having to do with how our hatchery plants are managed, but I also believe that over time domestication breeds less aggressive fish, aggressive being defined by their willingness to move for a fly.. I have nothing to back this up except my own declining productivity as an angler over hatchery fish..

#47 ·
I couldn't word it any better Steve! Opportunity leads me to fish a dryline..and if I'm lucky I'll hook a fish I won't soon forget. It has been this way since I started with my mentors encouraging me to get over the urge to dredge during summer and actually experience a true surface take from a wild steelhead. Did I mention I've never caught a hatchery on a waked fly? This method leans towards hot wild fish and there tendency for chasing down flies. I'm all over that! I've seen fish come up 10 feet off the bottom to chase a wet fly, if there is a player, it's on! To each there own, ,but if this thread someday down the line changes someone's approach on a hot summer day, and they swing a dry with success ..that's all it takes to convert them,, they too will tell of the sporting way to catch fish on top. Good luck
You never fished the Snoqualmie on the surface? Those hatchery fish were all over a waked or skated bug!

#51 ·
Haha why would someone use a sink tip when nymphing. What an amateur... That's rich.[/QUOTE]
If u can get any more "pure" while nymphing..I'd say a sink line with weighted nymph is just as good as swinging :) better then watching a bobber and at least feel the take!

#53 · (Edited)
Golfy back in the day before thingamabobbers and shit...u use to throw a wf5/6 sink tip line with a short leader, the Czech ' s visited Montana I'm sure of it and then labeled it their own :) when I met a fellow friend on a river damn near 10years ago...me and Yard came round the bend to see her doing just that, nymphing with a short leader no bobber..THAT, with a PBR in her hand to boot..real deal there folks,much respect. You might find her at Avid stirring the pot:) Teeny 200's were the ticket back then ...beads ruined everything.

#60 ·
I feel like I'm the only one, but I might prefer a floating poly over standard mono. I feel like I can fish/cast it in close more effectively. Once I have a bit of line out then I don't care one way or the other.

I think I can cast further with a long, mono leader, so on some rivers I might prefer that but most of the time max distance isn't all that important.

#66 ·
Dustin I am also wondering if you could submit this equation to my Google Glass team. We are adding in a new tool which will log Blitz Limits when fishers are to dust so much chrome. Then an alert should be syndicated to all major blogs, boards and social medias so people are aware of your lunking. https://code.google.com/p/google-glass-api/issues/entry

#68 ·
Thought this thread was about getting a fish to take near or on the surface. Sink tips and weighted flies don't help with that.

I'm wondering what type of rope to use for roping chromers. Is it sisal?..nylon, cotton, mono, twisted wire, hemp, or? Roping chromers doesn't seem possible to me unless it's barbed wire because of the shape and slime on a chromer. doesn't matter where the rope comes tight, it'll slip off for sure if the rope isn't barbed?

I like intermediate tips in the summer because the water tends to be shallower and a little sinking can help. If you want to fish floaters only you have the option to choose the water because the water is what matters to steelhead.

Presenting a fly is another story.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.