Xcalak

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by Mems, Sep 13, 2017.

1. Mems

Mems Active Member

How is the fishing down in Xcalak? A guy just offered a trip there for a week for under $2k, lodging and meals included. I looked at the pictures, and it looks like small bones, and permit. Do the tarpon migrate there in the spring. Thinking about trying someplace new. Thanks for any input, Mems.

2. rotato

rotato Active Member

I caught small bones down there
    Saw a bunch of permit on a bird tour
    Good diving/snorkeling
    Good luck

3. bart morrow

bart morrow Active Member

I also caught small bones mostly & small tarpon the couple times I have been down there. Costa de Cocos is cool, minimal but a really cool spot... It is remote and a long drive if you are flying into Cancun and doing the rental car dealio. If you can get em to throw in the airport transfer do it cause if you have ever gotten the rental car run around down there you will know exactly what I'm talking about and it will make your under $2k trip seem not quite so attractive... Do it man, it is an incredible adventure and will certainly provide you with some great stories! Bang for the buck though I would take my money to Punta Allen and book with Victor's fly fishing club. Victor & Claudia have a sweet house one can rent with AC in Punta Allen and the fishing @ Ascension IMO is way better! Good luck with whatever you decide!

Richard E likes this.
  4. Richard E

Richard E Active Member

t
    Is the jack in your avatar of Christmas Island? If the jack is somewhere other than Christmas Island, and you're looking for 'someplace new', I'd go to Christmas Island. It can be off the charts at Christmas Island; tons of decent-sized bonefish, giant trevally, and a hot offshore bite (tuna, wahoo).

$2k is a great deal all in like you're talking for Xcalak, but if the fishing is marginal, is it really worth the savings...? Though bonefish are available, Xcalak isn't really known for its bonefishing, or for tarpon migration. And, would you be fishing by yourself or with someone you don't know? The latter can be problematic. I did that for baby tarpon at San Felipe, and was paired up for two days with a guy who literally couldn't cast 30 feet, and another day with a fellow I had to help up on to the front deck and sometimes physically provide him support. Nice guys, both, but it sure crimped fishing for me, when I would jump a fish right away and then wait forever for my partner during his turn to get even a grab.

As Bart noted, Ascension Bay would be a better fishing destination. I met recently with a WFF forum member who fished with his father out of the Palometta Club in Ascension Bay. He told me they had lots of shots at permit, and the guides at the club really knew their stuff and very much focused on permit. For me, that would be my "someplace new'.

Last edited: Sep 14, 2017
    DimeBrite likes this.
  5. roh

roh Member

I fished Xcalak last year in August, staying at Costa de Cocos. I lost half the week to Hurricane Earl, but hard good fishing the first three days. The bones do run small, but there are lots of them. I did see one fish that was over 5 lbs though.

Had a permit boatside, but he dropped before we could tail him, and there were good shots everyday.

The tarpon aren't always small. I had eats from fish of 60 and 100 lbs, but buck fever got me and I blew the hooksets. They aren't always there, but there are some big ones. Small resident tarpon are always there.

There are many other species that are a blast, including big cuda, jacks of several species, snappers etc. Some of the most fun was just fishing off the resort dock and beach in the early morning or in the late afternoon. The food was great, the service was excellent, and I'm planning to return.

I've never been to Ascension Bay, so I can't compare it to there, but Alberto (my guide) used to guide there and his opinion is that the fishing around Xcalak is better than Ascension. One person's opinion, but from someone who has guided at both places. For under $2k, do it. If this is a package deal, transport from Cancun is probably included. Unless you are going DIY, you probably won't get a better deal.

6. Mems

Mems Active Member

Thanks for the input. The Jack, GT, Ulua is from Christmas Island and I will be hosting a trip there in April. I got offered this trip and didn't really know much about the area. I was trying to get my wife to go with me, but she said, "a week of nothing but fishing won't be fun for me" So now she is talking about tahiti. If we go there I am going to get to Rangiroa if I can. If I go to xcalak it would be with a group of friends. It is all inclusive with transfers, and meals, but they want a group of 4. Again, thanks for the input, Mems.

7. mr. bad example

mr. bad example Member

If you could get out to the banco de chichorros from there that would be one of my dream destinations .... at least that was the talk from 30 or more years ago ... I did a dive trip out there and it was stunning, but closed to fishing but I believe it's now open . The three times I was in xcalak I did what others have, lots of small schooling bones some tarpon and huge snook. Great place to hire a skiff and go to Belize through the mangroves while fishing....