Yakima Report 10/11

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Mike McCluskey, Oct 12, 2004.

1. Mike McCluskey

Mike McCluskey Macker of the Clan Campbell

My wife and I fished from Reinhart to Ringor yesterday. Amazing weather and a fantastic day on the river. The fishing was somewhat slow until right about 12:30; at that time you could see the fish actively feeding, and we stopped and fished a very nice stretch for the next 90 minutes, catching/LDRing and missing lots of fish. We used both beaded hare's ear nymphs and some pale dun drys during that time. As quickly as it started, the frenzy stopped. We caught and released six rainbows between 14" and 16", several whitefish, and LDRed two very large fish, one after a three jump display. I am not sure how many fish we just plain did not hook after nice strikes. We both need to work on this.

The rest of the trip down the river more or less turned into a lazy float, as the fish stopped feeding. As we got to Ringor, my wife tried some more dry fly action with a nice big hopper; lots of strikes, but nothing hooked.

This was the first time my wife and I have been out fishing together, and from her talk, it will be the first of many. She said she never knew drift boat fishing could be so fun.

Macker