Yakima River 7.22-24

Discussion in 'Trip Reports with Pics' started by Ed Call, Jul 25, 2011.

1. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

Why that's right, I do have a newly acquired boat that is just itching to get wet! It sucks cause now I have the ability to get my boy out on the local lakes, but I'm fearful that the water temps are too warm for the fish right now.

The Yak might be just what the doctor ordered. I'd love to plan a trip over there sometime!

BTW sorry for the last minute call today. I've had some family stuff come up this week so I ended up not being home all day otherwise I would have tried to just drop it by your place. I'll give you a call tomorrow when I head out and hopefully we can hook up.

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I'll look forward to seeing you again. What do your weekends in August look like. Come over for the two fly tournament and row that boat and hang with the gang.

3. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I'm pretty open in Aug. for the most part. I booked a trip with Jim Kerr on the 21st, but really thats all I have going. When is the 2 fly? Is that the Project Healing Waters event?

4. Ed Call

20th, PHWFF, yup. Be a road warrior. Yakima on the 20th, Jim's secret spots on the 21st. You'll have the coolest fishing report of the weekend.

5. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

What are your thoughts on the assault? I sold my kodiak as you know because of issue's with it's slowness (waterstick) and manuevering on tricky water...The assault looks like it would be faster and handle better?

It's funny as seeing the spot you pulled out reminded me off a spot I hit on the bulkley where a big downed tree sucked me in and I had to jump out and scramble to miss it..the oar turned sideways in the shallow fast moving water which paritally led to that scenario...I wasn't worried about it at the time as I watched my two buds go through on their scadden toons sideways talking without having any effect from the strong pull of current that I got stuck in...Is that how you felt and why you pulled over and went around?

6. bitterroot

bitterroot Love vintage graphite!

Golfman, I'm no expert when it comes to anything "boat", but I can attest to the maneuverability of the Assault compared to the Watermaster as I have owned and rowed both. I believe the rocker design of the Assault is the key. The Watermaster, lacking the rockered hull, may give a sense of a bit more stability on the water as there is simply more boat on the water, but I never felt like the Assault was unstable by any stretch of the imagination. Had I been a more experienced rower I probably would have gone through the area where we pulled out, and even as an inexperienced rower I was tempted, but the consequences of a missed line would have been ugly at best.
    With only a couple of floats under my belt I can say I'm very happy with my purchase of the Assault.

7. golfman65

golfman65 Guest

Good call on your choice, I thought that might be the case and I wouldn't worry at all about stability with it as it should be fine..
    Thanks for the reply

8. Ed Call

Bitterroot is spot on. Both great boats. Assault with rocker is more nimble.