Yakima River Poachers...or were they?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Derek Young, Apr 11, 2013.

1. ribka

ribka Active Member

I expected snarky responses like DNA, drones from people who do not turn in fish and game violators. Big surprise. Same guys I see at Lenice Lake, Methow, Lenore, Klick who ignore the bait fishers And poachers

If I walked up and asked you how was fishing, and looked at your fish while you were cleaning them near a selective fishery you would draw your gun on me?

Here is the WA RCW Rgarding lethal force may want to review it before you strap on your gat.

RCW 9A 16. 020

And You can walk by a vehicle and feel the heat without putting your hands all over it or can hear the cooling of an engine.

Just basic info to pass on when you report suspected poaching. Or you can just ignore poaching like most people do on here and post a snarky response.

I turn in a lot of poachers fishing and hunting illegally every year. If you do it correctly no problems.I'll keep calling in fish and game violations.

2. dflett68

dflett68 Active Member

i'm sure no one here knows what a yak rainbow's head looks like better than derek, but i also thought from the photo that it looked like a lake fish.

3. _WW_

_WW_ Fishes with Wolves

In this day and age of digital information and smart phones, citizens turning in poachers has never been easier.
    Keep you wardens cell number on your phone.
    Take pictures with your phone...including the license plate.
    Send these pictures to the warden's cell phone asap.
    The exif data of the picture should contain the date, time, and geographical coordinates of the picture.
    Done

4. JesseC

JesseC Active Member

Sorry I hurt your feelings. It was just a joke. Will you accept my apology? And please don't move so much while I comb your hair.

5. Rooster7

Rooster7 Member

IMO Derek did the right thing. I feel (in this particular case) that it's only our responsbliy to inform the authorities. It's their job to determine if something illegal was done. So yes, if you can take some pics and licene plate numbers thats great. I wouldn't approch the accused and try to trick them into giving out incriminating info. Thats just my two cents.

6. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

No I would tell you to show your badge or fuck off....

Darthmonkey likes this.
  7. Derek Young

Derek Young 2011 Orvis Endorsed Fly Fishing Guide Of The Year

Home Page:
    Luke, you do recognize that the deformity you see is actually a beheaded trout, right? ;)

Actually, they had 12-14 fish lined up on the bank, slit from the head to tail. The story just isn't believable - who catches 14 fish at a lake, puts them in a white plastic grocery bag, then drives 20 miles away to a secluded section of a different river to clean them? I didn't see any rods, but they were probably in the back of their truck.

8. Patrick Gould

Patrick Gould Active Member

One theory: They left Matoon because they were 2-4 fish over the limit and didn't want to get busted for that.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  9. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Reading this makes me want to do a Cedar River poaching rant but I must.....restrain myself.....don't want it interfering with my Friday night sense of well being.

10. Chad Lewis

Chad Lewis NEVER wonder what to do with your free time

Derek, good work.

11. Rod Wittner

Rod Wittner Active Member

Thanks for paying attention and taking the time to report it, Derek. Nice job.

12. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

You did good, Mr. Young; I'd have probably done something similar. Maybe one of these days I'll have to get myself a fancy phone so i can take videos.