Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yakima River temperature watch

2K views 18 replies 10 participants last post by  Whitey 
#1 ·
Since July 1st, water temperature measured at the Umtanum gauge has been between 67 and 70 degrees. Temperature and flow data is collected every 15 minutes, and have reached as high as 71 degrees during points of the day.

Typical "Hoot Owl" closures indicate temperatures starting at 70 degrees more harmful to fish, even when catch and release practices are implemented.

Consider moving upstream and accessing the river at WDFW and other access points where the water is much cooler, between 56 and 61 degrees during the same time frame.

http://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/yak/webd...nth=7&day=1&year=2015&month=7&day=11&pcode=WF

#4 · (Edited)
Alex, I think that awareness about flows and water temps has improved not only on the Yakima, but all over the West. The ripple effect of closures here, and in our neighboring states, is impacting anglers everywhere.

https://www.facebook.com/YakimaRiverHeadwatersTU/posts/1801999540026460:0

The Chapter is considering a program to disperse stream thermometers at access areas along with the new signs we'll be posting this week in both the lower and upper river - it's all about education and awareness and changing actions. And, getting more monitoring stations and anglers interested in submitting observations on conditions to improve our ability to communicate and act when it comes to rules and changes, and influencing those changes.

So, there will be water all up and down the system where temperature will vary and be fishable, and places where it isn't. It's these scenarios where voluntarily changing behavior and understanding the why's behind it will make the biggest difference.

Plain and simple - watch temps, handle fish ethically, and spread the word.

Derek

#3 ·
I'm so glad my local is a bottom fed tailwater. It's the only guilt free place I can really target trout in these drought/heatwave conditions. Water temps usually stay in the low fifties. I'm afraid most of my favorite freestones just won't be fishable much this year except shoulder hours and shoulder seasons.

Reactions: Skysoldier
#6 ·
Let's hope this will take hold all over the place, Derek! Water's very low here on the Wenatchee, pretty much like late September/October already, and I just heard that sockeye on Lake Wenatchee is not happening this year because of it. Next few years will be bad for the salmonids, I fear!

#7 ·
I guided Friday (twice), Saturday, and floated (with my son and nephew) Sunday (today) this weekend. I have been carrying a thermometer with me since June 1 this season, since the water temperature and flows have been a concern. I took readings each day, and at different times of day. My thermometer is no cheapo, it's actually a digital thermometer calibrated to +/- 0.1 degree F that we use in the winery.

Friday, 9AM Umtanum, slow section on river right - 59.8 degrees F

Friday, 6PM, just below Lmuma Creek in a slow inside bend: 63.8 degrees F

Saturday 11:30 AM, Just above Bighorn, quick outside bend - 60.8 degrees F

Saturday 2:15PM, Reds takeout, slower water - 63.1 degrees F

Sunday 1:30PM, Just below Red's, shallow riffle - 62.6 degrees F

Sunday 5:30PM, Mahres takeout, slow moving sun exposed water - 65.1 degrees F

All of these readings were taken about 1 foot deep, so it is probable the temps are actually cooler than that, as the surface area is most likely warmer than the water closer to the bottom of the river.

I think that temperature gauge at Umtanum is not functioning correctly. Not only are the temps high, but there is very little fluctuation in the temps. The water is not that warm, and if you look at the Ellensburg temp gauge for the Yakima the temps are fluctuating at least 6 degrees per day (and getting about 63 degrees F max). The temps from the link above are barely moving within a day, which seems a little fishy (pun intended).

I carry the thermometer because I agree, we should not be fishing if the temps are getting up near that 70 degree mark, and I want to make sure for myself that they are not, whether guiding or fishing for fun. I think that everyone that cares for this resource can agree with that. That 65.1 reading I took today is the highest I have taken all year, and it was in an area where the water was barely moving.

I think we are well within the fishable temperature range in the canyon. Additionally, it's OK to fish when the temps are in the lower 60's, just a couple degrees above the ideal temperature range of Rainbows. Use heavier tippet, fight them fast, try not to touch them, and don't take them out of the water. If you are having trouble getting the hook out, cut the line close to the fly. It will come out quick enough after the fish swims away, and it will reduce the time the fish is in the net and/or that you are "handling" them.

On a brighter note, fishing was good today. My son (6) and nephew (8) had multiple rises to their dry flies, and I was able to bring one to the net. Fly popped out while it was in the net, I turned the net over, and we all happily watched him swim away. We have had a nice little cool down from our 14 straight 100+ degree days, so that should help as well. It topped out at 81 in the canyon today.

James

#8 ·
Good data, James - I've heard the comments that the gauges are "wrong" or placed in a spot where only the warmest water will be recorded, and your data points towards that 2pm time that MT and other states use for "Hoot Owl" closures. The warmest temps you recorded were close to or after 2 pm.

Yes, the cooler air temps will help out, and so will some rain.

If anyone has spoken to BOR to report any problems with the gauge, please share their name and contact info.

65 degrees is the temperature threshold that many anglers use to stop fishing, and while we don't have consensus, certainly water that warm and warmer should change angling behavior.

Appreciate the comment and thoroughness, it's exactly what we need to make good decisions for the fishery.

Derek

#9 ·
Some cooler weather forecasted this week on the wet side...hopefully that will help over their. Maybe I'm just missing it, but does anyone know a link that shows the sinusoidal thermal graph for the Yakima... like most of the MT river charts have?

#12 ·
As told to me, the term "Hoot Owl" has it's origins in the logging industry. As daytime temperatures climbed and logging activities in areas where Hoot Owl(s) ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Barred_owl) habitat co-existed, leading to fires due to heat, sparks, etc, a rule to curtail those activities was enacted. 2 pm was this mystical time to stop working.

Who would have imagined that cutting down trees would impact wild fish and fishing in the future? :rolleyes:

And so it goes. Anyone else?

#13 ·
thanks for the information, gents. I'm wondering if, like most other "measuring" devices the state uses-think of those speed sensors that flash when you're above their wished-for speed limit-are for the most part, completely inaccurate. The ones around here are completely bolloxed!

#14 ·
Good news, bad news. The Bureau of Reclamation gauges at Umtanum aren't accurate, higher by 1-2 degrees. Bad news, there's no timeline to calibrate them. More good news - cooler air temps and some rain are improving conditions!

Temperatures are still in the "zone" and guidelines on the chart provide tips to reduce impact on our wild fish.

Keep 'em wet!

#15 ·
Good news, bad news. The Bureau of Reclamation gauges at Umtanum aren't accurate, higher by 1-2 degrees. Bad news, there's no timeline to calibrate them. More good news - cooler air temps and some rain are improving conditions!

Temperatures are still in the "zone" and guidelines on the chart provide tips to reduce impact on our wild fish.

Keep 'em wet!
So James temps above are wrong and we should trust umptanum -2? I'm confused now

#16 ·
James reported temperatures using a hand-held device in person. We are being told the BOR gauges are off as much as 2 degrees, and the BOR doesn't have the budget to repair or calibrate. So, decide which you will do but at least consider temperatures and limiting or not fishing between 65 degrees and higher - a number that conservation organizations have recently published as guidelines, or absolutes.

It's about to get serious.

#18 ·
Anyone giving a "Hoot?" Water temps according to the BOR gauge at Cle Elum is following the restrictions curve, warmest before dawn and in the upper range (between 65 and 70) in the early afternoon. Early mornings until early afternoon show the coldest water temps.

In-person readings are reporting a consistent 3-5 degrees colder than the gauge, so as before, use a stream thermometer, consider the type of water and where you fish, and give the fish a break when the water gets to that zone. Cooler days and nights are coming, and potentially some relief in some rain. So, we're contacting the BOR again to get the gauges calibrated and ensure accuracy of information.

http://www.usbr.gov/pn-bin/yak/dfcgi.pl/?sta=YUMW

Derek

#19 ·
My personal temp monitoring in the upper River usually starts around 57 in the early morning and by noon/1pm is 61-62 degrees.

Still quite fishable. But I just can't understand 70 being fishable or wanting to fish at those levels. Lot of bitching and moaning over this behind the scene. Some people can't afford to stop and the idea that their gonna push the limits for a buck is sad. And wrong.

Of coarse this is only my opinion.

Keep up the good work Derek. One of the few good guys on the Yakima.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.