Yakima River Temperatures

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by docstash, Sep 13, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Gabe0430,

I do not understand the logic of your last post. You say that if the guides stop you will. The fact is that most of the guides have stopped. The science is in fact pretty concrete on this subject. Fish kill is significantly higher at the temps that are now happening in the Yak.

You say that you fish the Yak a few times a month and you are not putting a stress on the fish. Well you put a lot of stress on "30" fish the other day.

Ed Call and Dan Nelson like this.
  2. gabe0430

gabe0430 Banned or Parked

3. gabe0430

4. Alex MacDonald

Alex MacDonald Dr. of Doomology

The day John has "no idea" what he's talking about when it comes to fish, is the day I begin to fart bricks. Perhaps you can elaborate on why you believe he's wrong?

Ed Call likes this.
  5. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    Gabe, You sir are a Troll. Have fun with your life.

I know nothing about you other that what you have posted on this thread. What you have posted is a treasure chest. ;)

PT, Ed Call and Steve Vaughn like this.
  6. gabe0430

7. docstash

docstash Active Member

Just my two cents, not Red's. You guys should quit pissing up the rope.

Anglers like yourself catch way more fish than the guides do with the majority of their anglers on any day. You also fight and release your fish easier than most clients that are on a guided trip do. Yes we have a few clients that can catch fish like Gabe does, but that is the vast minority. We have some guests that can play and restore fish in an instant again the vast minority. I only hoped by posting this that many would take care of the fish by not fishing in the heat of the day. I did post at the request of Steve.

You will not see me on the river fishing because I would rather not take a chance. Not the Yakima or not the Naches.

Craig

8. gabe0430

DanielOcean likes this.
  9. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    One thing to consider with the temps is the gear you use. Keep the ultra lights at home. Beef up the rod to get the fish in. Don't head out to warm water conditions for cold water fish with a light action rod where you can't get them in fast. Get them to net and released. If the fish is near rolling over on it's back, then you played it too long and may want to rethink your gear for that trip being a tad light.

Back onto the thread over the pissing back and forth. I heard there is rain a coming. Warm, but rain. You guys getting any up in E'burg? Chance to freshen river and maintain or raise flow a bit?

10. docstash

docstash Active Member

Still sunny right now Jerry, lows at night dropping to the upper 40's and highs to the upper 70's will help a bunch.

11. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:

So if the Government or Businesses say to stop, you will but not until then?

The major guides stated they DID cancel/reschedule trips. WDFW won't make a change in regulations quickly or easily. But then again, do you -- or any responsible angler -- really need the government to tell you when to do the right thing? Is that really your position on fishing ethics -- the government sets the standard?

You say you the fish you released were energetic and survived, but how do you know? A fish released into 70-degree water will try to quickly dive back into cooler, deep or moving water. But will they survive? The science says probably not.

12. gabe0430

13. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

You speak in definitive terms that you have killed zero fish. Hard to believe such a claim from any accomplished angler with 30 years experience. You can lash out at me next and recite your no fish killed in 30 years mantra and further demonstrate your own defensive position that many will not accept.

The only way you have killed no fish in that time is if you've not caught any in that time. Just because you watched them swim away, does not mean you applied no stress. Some of those stressful encounters likely resulted in a fish fatality or few. Imagine it is possible, or continue to deny what all the statistics, studies and experience anglers and guides have shown to reflect reality.

Most guides catch fewer fish than you. Not because you are as talented as you think, but because they're holding the oar handles while their clients hold the rod handle. Some have said what they are doing to reduce fish stress and mortality, rescheduling, relocating and canceling. You've said what you are doing...fishing until WDFW says stop or all the guides stop.

Leadership leads...followership follows. You've made your choice readily apparent. You probably use a 2-3wt and 7x routinely too, don't you?

14. gabe0430

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Dude, are you new? I've been a moderator the longest and am the biggest smart ass on here and real life. LOL

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.