Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yakima steelhead?

2K views 8 replies 9 participants last post by  sroffe 
#1 ·
I fished the Yakima Halloween weekend and caught what looks like a steelhead in the lower canyon section within a mile of Red's fly shop. It tasted great:) I hooked it on a #18 bead head pheasant tail with 6X - not the typical steelhead fare. What do you think - steelhead or big rainbow? My buddy snapped the blurry photo and I quickly released it without a measurement. It made my weekend!! I also fished the upper canyon section the following day near Cle Elum and caught some large cutts on dries - fantastic View attachment 35789 View attachment 35790 fall weekend!!

#4 ·
Even though there have been just 16 steelhead put above Roza since June, they must be biting well because I've heard of some reports.

A few months ago, the Flyfishing and Tying Journal had a article on rigging for trout when you think you could catch a steelhead. I think it was Whitlock. The article prescribed a tiny pheasant tail below a stonefly nymph. And that's how I accidentally hooked one below Roza a few years ago. http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com...rout-2c-and-all-i-got-was-this-steelhead.html

#8 ·
Tasted Great? Within a mile of Red's Fly Shop. I hope you are kidding. The Yakima above Roza is catch and release except for white fish. Nice looking fish!

I fished the Yakima Halloween weekend and caught what looks like a steelhead in the lower canyon section within a mile of Red's fly shop. It tasted great:) View attachment 35789 View attachment 35790 fall weekend!!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.