Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yakima Summer Stone and/or Terrestial Swap

Swap 
16K views 213 replies 10 participants last post by  Steelhead 
#1 ·
The flies that you throw under tree limbs on a 90 deg day that make a big "splat", that could float a downrigger ball. Doesn't have to be a Stone or hopper, but the inbetween flies that could represent anything that would fall out of the brush. Examples: Madam X, chernobyl, turners bank robber, etc....Basically rubber legs, foam, deer and elk hair stuff. Also, I have read the complaints about people not getting thier flies back, so here is my solution: If you send me $5, I will UPS your flies to you and PM you the tracking number, so there will be no "lost in the mail" issues. Im thinking 12 persons max, since these are not quick to tie. April 25th deadline. If I get all the flies by the 25th, I will ship on the 27th, and PM you your tracking numbers that evening.
Anyone interested?

Thanks,
Jason

1. Jason (ozcast) - Bullet head summer stone (tan)
2. Kim Ferris - Recvd
3. CLO - foam hopper - Recvd
4. Sean K - Stimulator - Recvd
5. Mumbles - Brown foam hopper - Recvd.
6. P.E.I Fish Finder - Black Beetle - Recvd.
7. PEI. Salar.Salmo - Yellow Sally - out
8. Colton Rogers - Recvd.
9. Arthur - Chernobyl - Recvd.

See less See more
#73 ·
so a little bit of an update. don't know what to call it, but it has some green hair, bullethead, is generally dark and ugly, has dark legs, and a little tuft of calf hair for visibility. am in the caddis swap too, and am 1/2 way through those flies - next up will be these dark and uglies.

k

#6 ·
No kidden, these are the kind of flies you play with for 20 min. at the fly shop going "why didn't I think of that?" ...Or... you will be on the river in summer flows watchin everyone cast big uglies to the banks takin' fish thinking "wish I had some sweet flies too...guess I shoulda joined that swap back in March....DAMN!" Everyone who is a fan of dry flies should be in on this.

#7 ·
i read this post earlier today, real early and i have been searching for patterns and at the vise all day trying to think of a pattern. i am relativity new to tying and i don't think im that good so im worries about entering a swap. but this one sounds great and everyone should jump on the chance, but maybe they don't feel confident enough around spinning deer hair to be trading flies???

#9 ·
I'm in. Not sure if I'll be using some multi layer colored flip flop foam for some version of a chernobyl or hopper but I'll whip something up. I've never fished these foam flies but I've been tying some up over the past few weeks trying to fill a box. I've been tying some in twos and threes so sitting down to tie up a batch should be a good thing for me.

#16 ·
After tying a few bullet heads, full foamies and a monster chernobyl I opted to mass produce a multi layer foam grasshopper...went brown since CLO is going green. Included a few of my prototypes in the box for the swapmeister including one you could lift your anchor with. I sure found the foam and rubber legs to be a challenge but easier than many other materials I've been tying with. Thanks for hosting. I sent enough for the swap to fill. If it does not fully fill, keep some extras or send them back. I had to get these off my bench before the Hoh weekend. I might be on anti-fish related lockdown upon my return... SASE enclosed for the return trip. Anyone else DONE yet?

#18 ·
Cool Oz, my box has lots of prototypes and I fish them plenty. I can't believe that more tyers have not jumped onto this swap...high floating big fish catching flies will make your heart race, right?

#20 ·
I had been tinkering with some over the past couple of weeks between tying other flies. Add that to not sleeping much and not being able to fish (until late yesterday evening) and I had some tied up. Using the rotary vise really helped in the weaving or lashing of the fly layers to the hook. So, yep, I'm done, so get to tying! I'll try to post a photo of one when I get home tonight if I can...lots of truck cleaning and gear packing to do before heading to the Hoh.

#23 ·
Damn, you got your flies done a month ahead of time. I still need material..

we still need some spots filled up
Did you see the thread on courtesy for a fly swap? I can't be tagged as a slacker!

yeah, come on people!!!
People, join in. I for one will tell you that my flies are rocking. Maybe the best set of flies I have tied. I might have to mess with foam and rubber more. These things WILL entice lunker trout that lurk waiting to pounce on meaty bugs. If you are disappointed with my fly I'll buy you a beer (while bashing you publicly for not being able to catch fish on such a good looking hopper).

#28 ·
No idea on the cost. I dont mind shipping back to you, but you should go to your local post office to get a rate. Got Mumbles flies today, and...well.....they are absolutly perfect! Just to let everyone know, just for his fly alone, this swap is worth joining! Super buggy!! I see many 18" rainbows in my future. Honestly people...I think mine are pretty sweet (been tying pro. for 14 years), and Mumbles are WAY cool....Help us fill up, you will be happy with what you get back.

#30 ·
Count me in! Me and TF might work something out to get them to you (We live right by each other). I'll most likely tie a Yellow Sally Stone Fly But I'll let you know later. I have to get some stuff but should have them out to you but lets say the 10th of April.

Nic

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.