Swap Yakima Summer Stone and/or Terrestial Swap

Discussion in 'Fly Tying' started by ozcast, Mar 21, 2009.

1. P.E.I fish finder

P.E.I fish finder Member

Oh yeah I guess I shuld tell u I'll most likely be tieing a black beattle

2. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Oz, they are not that good, for heavens sake, I tied them. I found them to be a fun alternative to what I had been tying and everything seemed to go well. Look again and you will find differences in leg lengths wrap angles and even foam colors...but the fish won't care! I told you I had a good couple of days on the vice. I almost sent in an extra batch of green ones...but kept them for myself! I've never caught a brown. Will these work?

3. ozcast

ozcast Active Member

These will indeed work for browns, if you find one willing to come up. ... and if one is willing to look up, your hopper will be the ticket. I really want to try them with a "twitch". Can wait until hopper season! Tyers are thier own worst critics. Just trust me Mumbles...they rock!

4. ozcast

ozcast Active Member

PEI's , your in. Thank you for joining. I will PM you the ship to. Cant wait to see what you come up with. Sally's and Beetles are a couple summer staples for me.....Im really getting jazzed up now. All we need is decent weather...almost 20deg below normal. --lame--

5. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

So whats the deal with not many people getting in on this swap? Com'on people as stated before "big flys big fish on top" theres nothing more exciting. Anyways, Ozcast if i'm not mistaken Mumbles tied up twelve flys even though there arn't that many people sighned up yet so i'll do the same. If twelve people join then fine, if not you can just keep whats remaining or whatever you would like. I should have the flys out some time next week I ran out of hooks thats the hold up sry.

6. ozcast

ozcast Active Member

Still lots of time. Were over half now...that makes me feel better. Ive been working hard on my sales pitch....can you tell? lol

7. Ed Call

I may never produce a set of flies as well crafted as these hoppers. Get in on this one now and stop being a freaking puss. Tie up some meaty morsels and get in on this. So many tyers have already sent theirs in or are well underway...no worries about slackers here. Come on, foam comes in such bright colors, rubber legs are super twitchy and them big-uns seem to like them...not that I know, but I've been working hard to get ready for some Browns.

8. sean_k

sean_k Active Member

I can tell but hey big bugs are awsome. I've caught tons of big trout on big flys. (tons on little flys also but big floating flys are way cooler) And as for mumbels question about the browns YES these flys will catch browns for sure. I would say 70% of the trout I have caught have been browns.

9. ozcast

ozcast Active Member

Big Bugs are awsome! This swap has me daydreaming about undercut banks, and over hung trees. I wish Brown trout were not such a long drive for me. The Yak is only 2 hrs away with pleanty of decent fish though....and tons of big dry fly water. This summer I will go further east to get into some greman territory. Not sure where yet.

10. Ed Call

Okay, I'll tell you that the all foam and rubber legs are much easier than the "traditionals" that I tied (see thread about fly boxes). The foam took a stretch and shape well. You be the judge and then get your ass in this swap. Show me what else I need in my box for some monster trout.

Attached Files:

11. PEI.Salar.Salmo

PEI.Salar.Salmo New Member

Wow, Mumbles You liar. Those are awesome! Can't wait to get some.

Nic

12. Ed Call

What, dorky looking avatar fisherman who goes by an assumed name a liar? You must be joking! Actually these hoppers were one of the lesser complicated patterns. The ones with wings, hair and bullet heads are a heck of a lot harder to tie. That is why you got the nice but easier ones.

13. CLO

CLO Future WFF Mod

Great looking hopper, I'm going to catch some big westslopes with that. The legs are perfect.

14. Ed Call

The legs were a pain until after a few prototypes. Then I tied them all up like an assembly line. Single strand knotless up front. Single strand knee knot middle. Full strand and half strand (thigh side) with knee knot rear. Tie them first. Then tie them in and trim from the body's side not the end. A different approach that someone had told me. That was great advice.

15. P.E.I fish finder

P.E.I fish finder Member

Mumbles those hoppers are looking great!!!!!!!!