Yakking It?????????

Discussion in 'Saltwater' started by FLYRODR, Feb 26, 2006.

1. floatin cowboys

floatin cowboys New Member

Yaks are a great fishing tool. Read the article I wrote for Washingtonlakes.com on Kayaking. go to the web site and then to tacklebox tales.

Also if any one ever goes down to CA to fish, theres a great guide you should get a hold of, Art Teter 1-530-336 6110. He has over 20years experiance in the NorCal area. On the Pitt, McCloud, upper Sac, Trinity. The best in the area.iagree . He has developed techniques that have been featured in flyfishing mags.

2. ChrisW

ChrisW AKA Beadhead

Kayak vs float tube...no waders, no inflating, better control if the wind picks up, more speed = more range. I love kayak fishing although it took some getting used to.

I always bring an extra paddle in case I drop my primary one while tending the rod. Casting is not any harder than in any other boat that requires a sitting position. They are a lot more stable than canoes...lower center of gravity.

If you want to troll, try it in reverse... you can see the take and grab the rod and set the hook easier. With my 9' rod I can even follow a hooked fish from one side to th eother of my 17' yak. When there's no fish on just make sure you keep the line away from the stem or stern. If you snag the boat with the fly you may have to break it off.

CW

3. HotinTotten

HotinTotten New Member

I fish out of a Dagger Blackwater 12.5' kayak, and love the thing...I had ten times the option for fishing the south sound shoreline for SRCs than I've had with any other option. It is quite extremely stable, plenty of room for my rod and tackle, food, water, and a closed hatch for extra clothes, etc. It is a wonderful way to find fish, simply by dragging a fly behind as you navigate along the shoreline. Its biggest limitation is in your casting ability. Long casts are pretty difficult, and direction of your cast is limited to a 90 degree or so section to your forward, anything else requires putting down the rod and changing your heading with your paddle. Still, you dont NEED a long distance cast with such a quiet boat, and more and more often, I find myself rarely casting at all, I simply circle and drag my fly back through the promising area. My wrist and elbow have never felt better because of it!

4. HotinTotten

HotinTotten New Member

And none of those tight footies over the waders and under the flippers! :mad: I dont miss that torture at all!!

5. polepole

polepole New Member

So ... anyone want to give it a try? I'll loan out a kayak in exchange for a bit of guidance in targetting SRC's. I'll break out my flyrod which has been collecting dust the past few years.

-Allen

6. Charapa

Charapa New Member