NFR Yard/garden Thread 2017

Porter

Raspberries and blueberries were great last year. Hoping to improve the volume. Going to put up a couple mason bee houses in the garden area, new adventure for me.
I would love to plant a honey crisp apple tree but it needs another apple variety to cross pollinate and I don't think I can pull that off this year. So it will be only the two plum trees
Planting Fennel, Cilantro, Parsley, ....already have multiple herbs....Tuscan oregano, basil, thyme, rosemary, chives etc.
Multi color carrots...white -purple-orange-gold.
Garlic and onions
Sweet Peas
Zucchini
Rhubarb
Strawberries
Lettuce...butter leaf, and others
Swiss Chard
Golden Yukons
a couple pumpkins mainly for the kids
4 types of tomatoes- spaghetti/red sauce galore for jarring.

Now if I could grow some bacon...that would be sweet!!!! I need some bacon to go with the green chives and sour cream for those twice baked Golden Yukons!

Salmo_g

I've had a cold frame that I grow my tomato plants in. Two windstorms this winter blew it apart. Literally. Trashed, so I will build a new one, reinforced more like a greenhouse. Nothing like those home-grown tomatoes that must cost me around $20 a pound, if not more. Still too cold to turn the soil in my raised beds. I'll start a few things in indoor trays, like onion sets.

Swimmy

Riffle > Run > Pool
We have talked about redoing the beds in front of the house. I don't really hate them but would like something really nice. Like professional nice, not Swimmy runs down to the Home Depot and grabs some plants nice.

Not sure if we'll get around to doing anything though.

deansie

IMG_0037.JPG

Built this garden at the end of last year, 22 raised beds with a 9' fence around it to keep out Bambi. All in its 55'x70' and mulched out in the walk ways, they are going to be some expensive raspberries...just submitted plans to the city for a chicken coop. More to come as we progress.

Bob Triggs

Stop Killing Wild Steelhead!
I love gardening. Especially vegetables, fruits, etc. But I don't have much time for tending, weeding, and watering. Last year was tough for watering. It took hours each day. I prefer heavily mulched raised beds, or bucket gardening.

Jase

Hey all, back on the board here after a while.... winter is my busy season.

Gardening has actually become a bit of a hobby of mine in the last couple years. My wife and I built a garden together a few years ago after we moved in to our first house. I'll post some pics.

We rotate through a variety of veggies in our beds, but really excited about our berries and grapes this year. Raspberries and strawberries were solid last year, but hoping our blueberries and grapes really kick in this summer!

Happy planting!

plaegreid

Saved by the buoyancy of citrus
Gonna try starting my plants earlier this year. Haven't gotten the high-country seasons quite down yet; probably have to start everything inside, too.

Smalma

Since retiring in 2005 and returning to garden every year has seen expansion of the backyard garden (now covering 2,000 sq. feet). This year's new project is a couple new fruit tress. Am taking out a 35 year old cherry tree that is splitting and replace it with an Asian pear and a peach tree and the wife and I are still debating whether to adding a second apple tree.

Normally by this time of the year I'm busy preparing the ground but need another couple days of good weather (dry) to start 2017 garden season.

Porter -
The mason bees can be fun though I had a disaster with mine late last fall. As I was establishing the new garden I notice that most of the fruit was being pollinated by a few mason bees. 8 years ago I made a single nest block; holes drilled in a cedar block with straws inserted into the holes. The first block had 60 holes and that first year the bees filled 14 of them. Since then I have added a number of blocks and last spring there were thousand of bees; more than enough to pollinate all the fruit trees over the extended neighborhood. Last spring the bees filled more than 400 tubes (approximately 4,000 eggs) and was looking good until some time during the late fall when it looks like birds (flickers?) discovered the tubes and learned to pull them to access the pupa. While the birds surely dined well I lost more than 90% of pupa. For the next month I'm anxiously waiting to see what production there will be. Definitely am going to pull the blocks and place them inside a shed at the end of the summer to protect them.

curt

Salmo_g

I also planted a honeycrisp apple tree. They were only $12.95 at Costco. For cross pollination I have an espalier 4-variety tree inside my raised bed area. I hope that works.

I also transplanted a port orford cedar from a too-crowded cluster in my back yard to the front. I tried that last year, but it got too dry and died. I'm going to keep this one soaked and hope for a successful transplant.

I need to figure out if my strawberry plants need to be replaced. I had lots of new runners last summer, but hardly any berries. I have a lot to learn about gardening.

Porter

I also planted a honeycrisp apple tree. They were only $12.95 at Costco. For cross pollination I have an espalier 4-variety tree inside my raised bed area. I hope that works.

I also transplanted a port orford cedar from a too-crowded cluster in my back yard to the front. I tried that last year, but it got too dry and died. I'm going to keep this one soaked and hope for a successful transplant.

I need to figure out if my strawberry plants need to be replaced. I had lots of new runners last summer, but hardly any berries. I have a lot to learn about gardening.
Let us know how that works please...regarding the honey crisp. Been reading about them, didn't realize there were different strains of them either. It won't happen this year but next maybe I can get one or two in. Thanks. .....and great price, I was at a nursery and they were 39.99.