NFR Yard/garden Thread 2017

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by b_illymac, Feb 19, 2017.

1. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

IMG_2004.JPG Cherry tomatoes ripening, three varieties of heirloom tomatoes, ripe and delicious.

IMG_2005.JPG Japanese eggplants - sliced thin and fried with garlic and fresh grated ginger root, amazing!

IMG_2006.JPG
    far too many apricots for us and our next door neighbors.

Basil is cut back, enjoying pesto two or three times a week. Oh, the strawberries and raspberries are done but is there anything better than strawberry/rhubarb pie? Yes: strawberry/rhubarb/raspberry pie!

hbmcc, bakerite, Yard Sale and 4 others like this.
  2. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

IMG_7789.JPG The sea of green theory..

jake-e-boy and Porter like this.
  3. Yard Sale

Yard Sale Huge Member

Lil bit of oregano, thyme, rosemary, basil, and seymore the tomato plant.

Can't wait for the first caprisi salad.

52272679222__70524EDE-F2E9-41B3-9A67-A80218D9795A.JPG

Buzzy, Jeremy Floyd and Porter like this.
  4. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

New variety.... the Horned or Horny Tomato
    SF

IMG_3775.JPG

Adam Saarinen, Buzzy, Porter and 2 others like this.
  5. Porter

Porter Active Member

IMG_1399.JPG
    A little Sunday evening harvest

Stonefish and Buzzy like this.
  6. Porter

Porter Active Member

And......a nice grilled chinook salmon slab of a fillet seasoned with sea salt, pepper, and garlic butter topped with sliced grilled Yakima peaches w/homegrown raspberries and arugula generously covering it and add a sprinkled balsamic reduction over it is so yummy!!!!!

Last edited: Aug 20, 2017
  7. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Here's my little fence project that's been keeping me off the water and away from the tying bench.

Lots of improvements on the radar around here, but new fencing and gates in front are near the top of the list. Besides the old fence falling apart, I always thought it was dumb that the original owners set the fence at the back of the house. Lots of wasted, unusable "front yard" space. Fortunately my neighbor agreed and we decided to bring our fence lines forward.

20170823_190330.jpg

Simple enough, except for a couple problems to work around. First, the slope where the new fence line will be was too steep (sideways) for my neighbor to put in a gate, or have a reasonably level path. So about 20 wheelbarrow loads if dirt later, I had an acceptably graded surface.

The second problem was how to place the first post against the existing crappy fence without taking it down, or it simply falling over. Initially I thought I'd just dig up to the existing post and place the new one against it, since it appeared to be set directly into the ground without concrete. Except there was concrete hiding almost a foot below the surface. Yet another hallmark of great "craftsmanship" from the builder that I'm having to deal with .

20170823_190701.jpg

My work around was to screw some 4x4 spacers to the old post and butt the new post against. But not before compacting 6" of gravel to set it on and painting it with preservative.

20170823_190903.jpg

New post plumbed in and secured in compacted 5/8" minus. No concrete necessary. One down, 8 more to go!

20170823_191106.jpg

Last edited: Aug 24, 2017
    hbmcc, Stonefish and Buzzy like this.
  8. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

The first thing I notice when looking into your post hole: you don't live in Grant (rock pile) County! My last little project, with only three post holes, took a full day to dig. Breaker bar. Nice job!

SilverFly likes this.
  9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

My plants look like shit but they've produced great in this hot weather.
    Even eating multiple tomatoes per day I can't keep up with them.
    I've told all the neighbors to help themselves.

The family next door has been getting good use out of them.
    They grow a bunch of basil and made me a big batch of killer homemade pesto.
    SF

IMG_3797.JPG

Buzzy and jake-e-boy like this.
  10. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

Maybe no rocks but that's compacted clay. I finally took a file and put a sharp edge on my post hole shovel to break through that stuff. The edges of the post hole felt and looked like the inside of a clay pot. The upside is that the ground is so solid, compacted gravel works as well as concrete. Better really since it drains. That post should outlast me.

hbmcc and Buzzy like this.
  11. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Tomatoes are going gang busters. Not complaining since the flavor is so much better than store bought. I built a tomato house cuz it usually doesn't get hot enough in western WA to ripen tomatoes. That hasn't been the case these last couple of summers. It gets so hot that the leaves are curling on my tomato plants because they get too hot according to my horticulturist sister.

Peas and green beans are about done. Second planting of carrots is beginning to show. Haven't done this before, so it will be interesting to see how it works out. My WW sweet onions are kind of small; maybe planted too close together or shaded by adjacent row of taller plants.

Speaking of fences, if it weren't for my deer fence exclosure, I couldn't have a garden. Damn deer are vermin and a gardener's nightmare around here.

12. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

I'm jealous reading about all the harvesting going on. I didn't get anything planted this spring when I was working on the #$%#!!! SUV. Only had one deer in our yard in the 9 years we've been here. Rabbits however, have been a problem since think something happened to the redtail hawk population around here. Haven't seen any in quite a while. Might have to get the .22 out before planting season next spring (shorts should work at close range and be relatively safe in a residential area - I'm also gubermint trained in firearms).

13. Buzzy

Buzzy Active Member

Grab (beg, borrow?) a handful of the basil, chop it fine, chop a couple ripe tomatoes, stir 'em together, a little olive oil, salt and pepper and spoon it on hot, crusty and crispy garlic bread. With on of your salmon? Mmmmmmm bruschetta!
    Oxhart heirloom.JPG
    This is an oxhart heirloom. Maybe the sweetest ever!

14. SilverFly

SilverFly Active Member

2nd weekend down the tubes and still not finished with the fence, and haven't even started on the gates. Worse, one of the posts might be pushing an eighth out of plumb! Friggen OCD.

20170829_195750.jpg

Buzzy likes this.
  15. Skip Enge

Skip Enge Active Member

really big.jpg

In the night when asleep... hoping it doesn't sprout legs and eat us...

hbmcc and Buzzy like this.