NFR Yard/garden Thread 2017

Well we are drying and canning tomatoes...made a killer gaspaco from a Alton Brown recipe...and will definitely do that again!...today I picked the first of our rare heirloom Bessie Beans a dry shelling bean handed down through over 100 years here in WA...and I picked our first new variety from Japan, "Morotomo"
Bessie Beans.jpg
Morotomo tomato.jpg

Salmo_g

Nice buncha' carrots Billy. I've got quite a few that look more than ready to harvest and begin eating.

My tomatoes are nearly done for the season. I picked a few more today. One or two more pickings, and that should be it. Sure have enjoyed vine ripened tomatoes this summer.

So when is the right time to pick my Walla Walla onions? Most all the tops have folded over, so I presume that means they are finished growing for the season. Should I now pick them and put them in the woodshed or someplace to dry the skins and roots?

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
I picked mine today, before the rains. They flopped over a while ago, and were nice and papery on the outside, so brought em in to cure.
Salmo, the continue to grow for a while after the tops flip over, mine increased in size for a months after the tops flopped, just pulled the before the rain. If it didn't rain, they would still be in the dirt.

Last edited:
Nice buncha' carrots Billy. I've got quite a few that look more than ready to harvest and begin eating.

My tomatoes are nearly done for the season. I picked a few more today. One or two more pickings, and that should be it. Sure have enjoyed vine ripened tomatoes this summer.

So when is the right time to pick my Walla Walla onions? Most all the tops have folded over, so I presume that means they are finished growing for the season. Should I now pick them and put them in the woodshed or someplace to dry the skins and roots?
beautiful carrots! nothing better than fresh carrots

hbmcc

We fill the deck with pots of veggies and flowers each spring-summer. Water the cherry tomatoes--Sweet 100 and Million daily; spot, bucket, watering only. Started pruning them heavily in July to keep at 6-feet over soil line. Several buckets of herbs we use for meals.

A crappy year for fish, but lots of sun for gardening. I don't even bother to keep lawn green any more. Water/sewer rates are punching through heaven.

Will likely put Christmas lights up for warming the Anna's hummers feeder again this winter. Insane creatures!

You know the first I have heard, "crappy year for fish"...You didn't say "fishing" because there is never a crappy time to fish...just other more pleasant things to do when you need to cut a hole in the smoky pall with a butterknife to find the water...Or I don't know about you but fly fishing shoulder to shoulder sucks....Seemed since we spend a lot of time in the mountain lakes and the forest service is too financially strapped for upkeep(roads, signs) The ideas we had this year was mostly looking not finding...because signs were removed or shotgunned and never replaced...and remaining serviced areas were seething with young outdoorsy touristas who brought everything with them...ans so it goes...Curmudgeonitis talking...

It has been a hot dry summer here, but now ...
Insane rain...not complaining , however those big tomatoes are going to crack as if smiling only to start to moan and cry...and it will be deafening enough that I need to go out and save them from drowning.

hbmcc

Hah! No. Worry about the fish.

Dr. schedules interrupted the post-Labor camp outs. The abundance of cherry tomatoes turned my long term acid reflux into worse. Rather than turn the deck into a rotting mess I dumped about 7 quarts of ripe ones from one plant (Sweet Million) and will cry over the next shortly. They are basically juice, skin, seeds and a little meat, in that order. Threw my arms up after getting the batch into a pot.

It's still just a couple sustained sprinkles here near Tacoma. Suddenly, typical fall and twenty degree drop in temperature. Camping next summer.

Hah! No. Worry about the fish.

Dr. schedules interrupted the post-Labor camp outs. The abundance of cherry tomatoes turned my long term acid reflux into worse. Rather than turn the deck into a rotting mess I dumped about 7 quarts of ripe ones from one plant (Sweet Million) and will cry over the next shortly. They are basically juice, skin, seeds and a little meat, in that order. Threw my arms up after getting the batch into a pot.

It's still just a couple sustained sprinkles here near Tacoma. Suddenly, typical fall and twenty degree drop in temperature. Camping next summer.
My harvest is not big even with 24 plants...just got started to late...but plants all have tomatoes...most of the seed started ones seem to have put their energy into a few huge ones...saving seed...

rotato

Hey Skip when it comes to tomatoes do you let them ripen and ferment before drying the seed? I've got a cool German green stripped one that I want to save

Hey Skip when it comes to tomatoes do you let them ripen and ferment before drying the seed? I've got a cool German green stripped one that I want to save
You know a lot of folks are starting the fermenting thing...to get the jelly and gook off...Why?...I just process - when I cut them I scrape to a little stack of paper towels fold over a few times and label...stack in a dry place with air movement like a window sill and when dry late in winter I peel them off and put them in little labeled containers...This has worked for 35 + years. I have a great germination rate.
seed storage.jpg

hbmcc

You opened a can of worms, Skip. How do those storage units work? ... Where do you get them? ... And, them opposed to letter envelopes?

You opened a can of worms, Skip. How do those storage units work? ... Where do you get them? ... And, them opposed to letter envelopes?
large fabric stores with craft /beading sections... they are beading storage boxes...keeps stuff tidy...which has taken decades of seed saving to realize might be a good thing