NFR Yard/garden Thread 2017

large fabric stores with craft /beading sections... they are beading storage boxes...keeps stuff tidy...which has taken decades of seed saving to realize might be a good thing
or less clear ones of snap topped little containers at Michaels(aargh!) or Craft warehouse...but it's gonna hurt going to either one...not financialy- emotionally...jusy sayin'

hbmcc

When I was 15 I spent a summer and fall working for an old nurseryman. His hobby was growing and passing/trading/selling old apple types. I want to say he had 125 trees, each different. He rented, and lost the property to housing. We helped gather cuttings for future grafting. He was 83.

I found an old guy , Ha! now that I am...this is funny...Umm 25 years ago?...got Cox's Orange pippin and Mutsu scions from him the try my hand at grafting,,,the Mutsu took and I had grafted Mutsu(a cross between Gold Delicious and Sweet banana) to a gravenstein stup...i had cut down...it was a biennial bearer and I want to remove it...thought hell I will dig it out!...Not happening! No dynamite in Hazel dell suburbs!...so I grafted...turns out it went wonderfully...grew like crazy. grew to much...turned out grafting a mule to mule tree results in humongous!

We are growing various dry pole beans this season. Yin Yang bush, Bessie, Cobra, Dragons Tongue and Genuine Cornfield and this one
Robe 1.jpg
Robe 2.jpg
...as they dry on the vines... Robe Mountain is a bean said to be from Bill Best that I received in a trade years ago...and I must say the yield is phenomenal...I picked a fist full is all thus far...Here is what i mean by yield...9" pods, 9-10 beans per pod

hbmcc

OK, Skip, you collect these beans. Do you cook them? Are they unique in flavor? Without equal for vitamins minerals and protein? Are there any not musical?

I admit I have a taste for homegrown 'sourdough' breads, but my family invariably say, "interesting flavor" and go back to Dave, or Winco white sour. And, when the yeast is bubbling you don't take a break from baking if thrift is a disease.

Or, I know of a nice 100-year home in a WA town with a certain original rose at the porch that never grows bigger than the pleasant 4-feet I saw. They don't prune. I don't know the specifics but for the size, I am willing to chance fate and get a start. I don't even care that much for roses. I love "no care".

So you think beans are beans...If i get your drift? Oh contrar mon frare...kinda like jamma , my old friend Jim...when we have talked numerous times about how fish tastes...he says " It's just a different texture"...or something like that...jamma will see this and undoubtedly clarify and elaborate on his theories, theories of a mad man...call it bait.

Last edited:
BTW...I never describe taste...it's freakin' impossible...but I can use an analogy of wine...Robe Mtn is a nice Chablis...and Bessie Beans , a Cabernet Sauvignon, Gold maries are a nice Ice wine...Yeah they have different qualities that set them apart.

"No Care"...nothing in the garden requires less care than dry pole beans...decent soil something to climb on...and wait til late fall when pods dry...collectt and shell and store, and later soak and cook...BTW you don't have to build any structure at all that woukld be "care" and some work...just plant corn about 10" apart in a block...when it gets 10" tall plants beans about 4" away around the stalks ...and let it go...The nitrogen nodules fixed on the roots of the beans continue to feed the corn asnd beans climb the stalks...

hbmcc

Wait!
Oh, never mind....

----- --- Cherry Tomatoes -- Cherry Tomatoes -- Cherry Tomatoes --

I have a few left and before the deck turns into a slimy mess, I am hoping they can be saved for others in the family. I can barely eat mild chili now. The buggers are really liquid and skin.

Does anyone have a recipe for this problem? My googling can't break from the big beefy monster syndrome.

the advice:
1. pick them before slimy
2. when it is hot weather we pick twice a day
3. be happy you don't grow currant tomatoes(tiny suckers)
4. Don't plant them next year

Recipes:
1. cut in half put in food dryer
2. dry them until crispy
3. store on dark shelf in jars
4. or freezer in freezer bags doubled
5. take dried tomatoes and put in jars and add olive oil(cheap blended) to cover
6. or do same drying in your oven(skin side of tomatoes down
7. make gaspacho!
8. throw them at someone.
9. use as a facial.

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
FB_IMG_1506122313793.jpg
I roast them with garlic and onions then cook em down for pasta sauce, soup base, whatever.
Growing 4 kinds this year BlackCherry, Yellow Pear, this little red Russian one I forget the name of, and because my girlfriend likes em, Sungold.
Black Cherry are great, Sungold are prolific, but I could go without them.
The Yellow Pear get turned into a savory jam, the little Russian ones I eat up as they are very good.
No such thing as too many tomatoes, just gotta grow the right ones, which are.....the ones you like.

Last edited:
I have shitloads of tomatoes this year. Champions, Romas and San Marzanos. The Romas and SM's are going to be made into sauce and put in the freezer. The Champions will be used in salads and sandwiches, until I am sick of them.

Shad

I have had a great year in the garden. I should have snapped some pics before the harvesting got hot and heavy. I've got a pantry full of canned and pickled goodies. The cucumbers are still cranking away, and I have hopes that my fall pea crop might actually yield something. Tomatoes are still going. I found a new favorite variety this year: Mountain Merit. Slicers, about 4", firm, dynamite texture, and exploding with flavor. That's a winner!

I still need to harvest my Brussels sprouts (and hope the damned cabbage moths didn't destroy the sprouts). Broccoli just keeps going. Anyone know how to get a good yield out of beets? I always seem to end up with just a handful, and that is always disappointing, cause I love beets....

quilbilly

Big Time Hater
My fall peas are going great, first year forme doing them as a fall crop, definitely doing them twice a year from now on. Easy container crop, as are tomatollos, squash, potatoes, and chiles.....drip irrigation makes them practically no work at all except for planting and harvesting.