NFR Yard/garden Thread 2017

Tomatoes (cherries, assorted varieties) is our only crop now (besides basil). We planted (4) late, so in about 2 months... I went crazy with tiered planter boxes and twenty some herbs a few years back. A great idea I thought since cooking is a hobby too. Got out of hand though. Large gardens (done that too) and herb farms require steady/regular attention, not a forte of mine.

We have Jalapenos, a couple of other peppers, zuchinni, spaghetti squash, tomatoes in 3 varieties, onions, and cucumbers this year. A bunch of herbs in a half dozen pots. All are doing quite well. I think the peppers and onions will be ready before long.

Dizane

Coast to Coast
I've harvested onions (Walla Wallas, most came out nicely sized), carrots, turnips (bug ridden and a bust), peas (most popular so far), radishes, spinach, and lettuce. I planted way too many of the spinach and lettuce plants. Live and learn. Currently have zucchini, pole beans, cucumbers, cherry tomatoes, parsnips, pumpkins, brussels, rutabagas, and celery root going. Also just planted some kale, beets, and more spinach and carrots. The beans and cucumbers started later than I wanted because there was a small revolt when I proclaimed it was time to pull the pea plants. Tomatoes have finally started to turn color in about the last week, but still have some time to go I think.

Salmo_g

I've picked about 3 qt. of blueberries, eaten a few Sungold tomatoes, radishes, lettuce, peas, spinach, and most recently, green beans from my little raised bed garden area. For a guy with 2 black thumbs when it comes to gardening, I think I'm beginning to get the hang of it. I could probably pull a few Walla Walla onions, but they're still pretty small. Carrots and beets will be the last to be ready. I should go check and see if more tomatoes are ready.

This timeof summer I generally start biennial broccoli and Broad Winsor favas for over wintering...and it is near harvest time for garlic...which of course is divide dry and replant for next year also...Late start this year...but tomatoes are chugging along...20 varieties this year...corn is tasseling...a lot of watering this season ...as we have not had any measurable rain for about 6 weeks

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
I didn't get any veggies going this year. You guys are making me green with envy. I did find a small handful of ripe native blackberries on the vines growing along my fence. Only enough to make me crave for more, but I'll have to wait, and then beat the birds and deer to 'em.

Jim Wallace

Smells like low tide.
A few years ago I had some basil growing nicely...looked as nice a the basil in Buzzy's pic. I woke up one morning, thinking I'd harvest some of it, and it was all gone! :eek: Just the stubs of the stalks remained. Some critter or bug had discovered it, and ate it all during the night.