Yarnies - Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. John Weston

John Weston Member

wow boys, I think this is now way out of hand. when ya start talking racists, gay marriage an abortion this ain't fun anymore. I think our owner needs to put a hold on this thread.
    JW

2. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

That right there is over the line, I'm out!

KerryS likes this.
  3. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

Johnny Johnny Johnny......

Irafly likes this.
  4. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Since you brought up the whole abortion and homosexuality issue, I'll leave that to you (to close to the whole political thing we are not allowed to talk about). I will certainly openly without issue say that some old traditions are highly inferior and I do not think for a second that embracing those traditions with any form of reverence would do me well. Would embracing new technologies do you well?

It is my sense of history by the way and a clear understanding of positive advancement through the use of technology that allow me to enjoy this conversation (if it is getting to personal though for you, I can certainly back off, again I've believed this has been all in fun) and to connect with my students. The X-Box, TV, smart phones, twitter, indicators and other technological advances in themselves are not bad things. Having a single unimaginative understanding of these things without discretion is though in my opinion and it seriously lacks just those 21st century skills I need to be teaching my students. So yes, TV can be the next book, why not? What is the intended outcome of books? If I read on a kindle, I guess I can call it reading but to embrace traditionalism and reverence for the old paper technology I can't call it reading a book. "Have you read that new book by Steven King?" "No, but I did read the words that are in the book on my Kindle."

Randall Clark, KerryS and PT like this.
  5. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

this is why I've switch to tenkara , less crap to forget at home & no critics

6. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Fair enough, said in jest just like the rest of this thread, and it was to easy of a set up. I shouldn't have put it out there the way I did. I could have come up with a better analogy that would have been funny and not stepped over that invisible line. Instead of leaving though offer me a better suggestion to make my Good Ole Boy joke. Maybe the sign is on the outside of the oxymoronic Monogamous nymphing fly fishers club and the sign says no swingers allowed. Better.

7. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

More Sage words! Irafly has identified himself as president of the johnny fly fishing club:)

Irafly likes this.
  8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I tried the spinning rod and jig and to be honest it doesn't work as well. I've fished next to gear guys with floats and except for only one case (Evan Burke and his center pin) I've out fished them all using the fly rod. I've even attempted to help some of those gear guys rig up the same way that I am with my flies and it just doesn't seem to work as well, they can't accomplish the same float. And that is where the center pin comes in. Although in that one case Evan was a bit off his game and I landed more steel than he did, he just hooked a couple more than I did. I would never argue though that center pin fishing is fly fishing because you do not use the weight of the line to cast the leader and fly. Just as I wouldn't say that listening to a book on tape would be the same as reading the book.

Would you concede that a dry dropper is fly fishing?

9. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I kinda always wanted me a regular like name, I'm thinkin I like Johnny, can my last name be Johnny as well.

"Johnny Johnny, how has the fishin been today?"
    "Oh, I've walloped me a whole load of them metal heads using this here advanced indicator set up that is Oh so superior to to that swingin crap."
    "Indicator set up? You dirty greedy good for nothing Johnny"
    ":)"

10. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Oh so you finally figured out that indicator fishing while wade fishing is fly fishing. It is liberating isn't it, I knew you would come around, congratulations!

11. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

12. TallFlyGuy

TallFlyGuy Adipossessed!

So if I put a shooting head fly line on my center pin reel and attach it to my two hander along with all the bobbers, split shot, and beads.... "Abra Ca DA-bra, Peanut Butter Sandwiches"....... I'm fly fishing!

13. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

TallFlyGuy likes this.
  14. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    You gotta work at it to get Johnson to bow out. I know. I've tried....he doesn't leave over inconsequential shit. If I got that reaction from him, I'd take a step back....and I rarely take a step back. Trust me, I can be a truly offensive man.

Bobbers are not a technological advancement. Neither are lead shot. Available for ages...never flyfishing, still not flyfishing, never to be flyfishing.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

15. cuponoodle breakfast

cuponoodle breakfast la flama blanca

My only issue in arguments like this is that some people seem to think that everyone picks one method and that's the only way they fish.
    It's like when people bitch about "gear guys." Am I a gear guy? Yes. Am I a fly fisherman? Yes.