Yarnies - Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I like your take on this flyfishmt and it was my plan to go there next if needed. I was going to ask the traditionalist to say that Brian Chan and Phil Rowley were not flyfisherman. Your examples I think are much better. I wonder if they are willing to step and say that some of the greats of the sport were not or are not actually flyfishing.

2. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

Just checking in! WOW this thread is still going??????? Holy crap Batman!

3. Freestone

Freestone Not to be confused with freestoneangler

Many Czech nymphers already essentially do this with fluorocarbon tippet and sections of colored leader, often forming the colored leaders into a spiral strike indicator made of just leader material (commercially produced ones are also available).

[​IMG]

The spiral strike indicator is not a bobber so I am unclear if it is fly fishing or gear fishing. It is equally confusing that the technique was used to win the World Flyfishing Championship so while they clearly see it as fly fishing, it is designed to catch more fish, not fewer fish. So confusing... But if this spiral indicator is still fly fishing, what about a short extra section of hollowed-out fly line, a small piece of wool or yarn indicator? If no shot is used is that still gear fishing? And what about those pinch-on foam indicators? Like I said, it is all very confusing...

plaegreid and Irafly like this.
  4. Brady Burmeister

Brady Burmeister Active Member

As much as I love this thread, I have to say it has been outdone already by the Yarnie Variation thread.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

5. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

[​IMG]

Irafly likes this.
  6. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I don't have a dog in this fight(other than the link about beaching fish), but I will say this: I've had recurring dreams of getting the perfect drift with an indicator. I've never had dreams about getting a perfect swing.

Irafly likes this.
  7. Peyton00

Peyton00 Active Member

I am curing the eggs i have from the 4 coho hens we landed on the Chehalis yesterday. I am going back down this Friday to kill more coho on the same spinner. I am bringing my new 6wt fly rod. I will be trying for my first coho on a fly rod.

sidetrack is over...... carry on!

8. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Good for you sop, I knew I could count on you! As it is, I anchor, cast and retrieve my indicator while stillwater fishing. I'm giving another presentation on my techniques to yet another fly club on Thursday (funny, no gear clubs have asked me to present yet, maybe I'm missing a viable market :)). Please don't let them know that what I'm instructing them in is not actually fly fishing.

As for drugs, I prefer beer while out indicator fishing on a lake, but I am never bored doing it. My mind is constantly processing information and I'm making adjustments all the time to what I'm doing. Just like any type of fishing, those who engage in it with fidelity will overall catch more fish than those who don't.

9. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I have that same dream!

10. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

Thats cool. I also fish spinners for coho , in fact I make my own spinners because I enjoy all aspects of the fishing game.

11. Jason Rolfe

Jason Rolfe Wanderer

Interesting how this has spawned a different topic. How much does the way we choose to fish have to do with our own perception of the excitement or pleasure we get from it?

Ira has said he enjoys watching the bobber go down. I would say that can be fun, but for me it is nothing compared to the feel of a fish slamming a fly and nearly yanking the line from your hands.

You hear about this a lot as it relates to education, in the sense that there are visual, auditory, and kinesthetic learners (though most people are a combination of the three).

Me, I think I'm mainly a kinesthetic learner--that is, I learn by doing, by feel, etc. I wonder if those of you who enjoy fishing an indicator (above other methods) would consider yourselves to be more visual learners, or visual people in general?

Just a thought.

Randall Clark and triploidjunkie like this.
  12. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Oh, I'm definitely a visual learner, but I still get that sudden slam as well at some point during the fight. You know when that fish just suddenly takes off without warning and rips across the river. So in away I get both. But I totally understand that for some people that unknown slam is what it is all about, it just doesn't do the same thing for me. In this argument though I'm not sure I have ever heard of an indicator fisherman disparaging a swing fisherman for how they choose to fish (ok maybe to tease them a bit when they get out fished ;))

13. Charles Sullivan

Charles Sullivan dreaming through the come down

Home Page:
    Saying that bobber and shot fishing is not flyfishing is not disparaging a person. It's an opinion about a method. It says little or nothing about the fisherman.

Go Red Sox,
    cds

14. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

True, but at some point those who are revered in the industry are revered for a reason. Please openly call all of them out as not being flyfisherman/women because they promoted the use of indicators, it will openly prove what I've been trying to say all along.

15. PT

PT Physhicist

What are you trying to say? You want into the club? Does it really bother you that some don't really consider bobber and shot as fly fishing? Who really cares. I don't consider Skagit casting to be in the same realm as those who fish the long lines but it's nothing more than an opinion formed from my own beliefs.