Yarnies - Love or Hate?

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by flyfishmt, Nov 10, 2013.

1. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

I would nymph for steelhead with a fly rod but I always setup to swing for 'em and I hate changing setups while fishing. I don't own anything needed to setup a fly rod to nymph so if I do want to "nymph" I will use my bait caster, cigar floats and jigs. I got all of that stuff.

2. Rob Allen

Rob Allen Active Member

3. Chris Johnson

Chris Johnson Member: Native Fish Society

I fished the Samish for years this way, quite effective, but I didn't consider it fly fishing.

4. dustinchromers

dustinchromers member: penis

Totally! +1 for yarnies here! I dip those little buddies in sandshrip oil and BOOYAH!!! Heading home before Nate Treat gets his boat in the water!

Irafly, BASS_TURDS and plaegreid like this.
  5. Hillbilly Redneck

Hillbilly Redneck wishin i was fishin

Life's too short not to do the things that make you happy. I know a couple guys that swing big bright yarnies on sinktips at Fortson during the high waters of Fall. No bobber required. I've drift fished them with lead quite a bit with excellent results. Fly fishing makes me happy and satisfied so I find that's what I do most.

6. i have never considered that before it kinda makes sense with how deep it is

7. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Randall posted, ". . . throw on a 15' T-14 tip to get their fly in front of more fish. How is that any more restraint than . . ."

Anglers practicing restraint are using 15' of T-14. Not knocking the T-* whatever stuff, but I've never caught a steelhead on a T-anything tip. Oh, I've tried the stuff, but just hang up on the rocks. Since I'm not fishing for rocks, I use tips that swing a bit above them. However, I'll defend the use of T-* material within the context of restraint. Stop fishing after one or two steelhead and don't try to run up the numbers just because you can.

Sg

Chris Johnson and Blake Harmon like this.
  8. Randall Clark

Randall Clark Active Member

"Stop fishing after one or two steelhead and don't try to run up the numbers just because you can."

that's making an assumption about each individual angler that has little to do with their method of fishing...while that might be something you may do or I may do (yeah, I've done it...hell, I've gone home early plenty satisfied just hooking and losing a big fish)...

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Randall,

It has something to do with the method of fishing when the method selected is because of it's inherently higher effectiveness.

Sg

10. Alexander

Alexander Fishon

I hit this tiny river yesterday with my family and taught my kids how to fish dry flies, then I showed them how to throw an "indicator" rig, with beads! My daughter said: "Pop, do fly fishermen use bobbers?". I replied: "well baby, generally fly fishermen don't like to call it bobber fishing, but it is and it's okay to do as long as you're having fun and you're catching fish". She smiled. I then proceeded to show them how to catch fish high sticking the slots with metal orange bead egg sucking black leeches with bright orange rubbery legs... And fish we caught and fun was had. I then showed them how to swing cone head buggers. We had fun, they loved it. :)

11. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:

That is a great story. Neither the kids or I really have the patience yet for steelhead fishing so we stick to trout and pan fish. Maybe someday. Good on you for making it happen now rather than someday.

As far as Yarnies, sure they are effective. But so are bait, gill nets dynamite and MS-222. It all boils down to what, if any, limits you put on yourself. My constraints vary from season and river but I always keep it within the legal rules/regulations set by our state government.

PT likes this.
  12. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

So basically limits are set as soon as they meet the users need. If a single hand rod and weight forward line just wont throw that huge fly far enough then its perfectly acceptable to reach for a more effective tool.... a spey rod and lead core head. But THAT is where the line is drawn. If a nympher wants to add a splitshot to make that rig more effective well by god thats just being greedy and disrespectful to the fish.

13. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Anyone and everyone should set their own limits/constraints with whatever they are comfortable with and assuming those fall within WDFW regulations (or whoever has regulation oversight), nobody should feel guilty or ashamed with their fishing method. And nobody else should judge another by the their preferred method. If somebody wants to limit themselves to dry flies only with an upstream presentation to feeding fish, why should I care how they get their kicks?

Irafly and Randall Clark like this.
  14. Randall Clark

Sg,
    a different method may be more effective (fish caught per fish presented fly to), but if one is presenting their fly to fewer fish (due to less range) and catches two, vs another who is presenting their fly to more fish (greater range) and catching two...they're each still catching two.

15. Randall Clark

exactly. One of my favorite people to fish with only fishes dryline (and mostly skaters) for steelhead regardless of season. The reason I enjoy his company is because he doesn't have that "my way is the best way" type of ego that seems to be more and more pervasive (at least on an internet forum).