Yellowstone Park ... RV'ing .. where to stay?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by fredaevans, Jan 1, 2011.

1. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

We've stayed at Grizzly RV in West Yellowstone a couple times and it is very nice. Rick

2. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Many thanks for info Folks, all of this is getting passed on to "The Red Head" (aka Joan). First thing that appears 'obvious' is 1st of June may be a bit early (weather/river fishing conditions) and staying out of the Park may be the most viable option for a long stay in the area.

The other thing that caught my attention is there's another large Park just to the South ... Who Knew?? Another Adventure a-building.:ray1:

Fred

3. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

Now your on to something, All I got to say is Yellowstone is good for a quick day visit, but the real magic is in Teton Park. The Gros Ventre, Buffalo Fork, and the Snake will out fish anything in Yellowstone Daily.

4. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Ah Hell TT ... you've just sent me off on another 2 hours on 'Google.'
    :>)

fae

Edit: How did folks do this before the advent of 'Google?' Probably a few phone calls .. Sheesh.

5. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Great timely thread Fred. After a brief discussion with the Mrs. we hope to be heading to West Yellowstone this summer too. Awaiting reservation confirmation for our tent trailer as I type. Nervously knowing that the entire area books up fast but it said there were a few sites that fit our requested equipment and dates. I'm hopeful to glean information from the many here who have a wealth of experience with this wonderful location.

6. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Bit bigger than that. 38' Motor Home + 'toad', a rolling 1 bed room condo if you will. Which 'complicates things' as to where you can 'stay. Interesting thing is there are HUGE MH parks that appear to have, short of a place to put your rig, that have (Zero?) facilities for the same. Looked at one place .. 375 pads... and no electricity hook up's. You can run your generator from 8AM to 8PM .. can you imagine the amount of 'smoke' all that's going to put into the air? So much for Peace and Quite.:p

Keep me posted on your time/where's would love to 'hook up.'

fae

7. Ed Call

Fred, I'm afraid that my tent trailer brings with it some shortcomings too. See in many places a hard sided rig is required. We are awaiting KOA confirmation, six miles from the West Yellowstone Park Entrance is going to be close enough for us. I also think that your early June trip plan will be done and gone by the time we depart. We are hopful that the reservation spaces the last week of June are favorable. If your trip is delayed, as you indicated by citing some suspect early June weather, I'd be delighted to run into you while on our Yogi Bear adventure. My fishing time will be very limited as this cannot be the focus of my family outing. My girls will hopefully want to fish with their dad once or twice and maybe I'll get a morning, evening or two. I'm super excited. Your question and my search for information from members here has already shortened the planning process. So much to do...

8. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Crap! My post just went in to ????

Short version: For fishing, early June appears to be a 'you've got to be kidding?' Gather the rivers/streams may well be at 'flood stage,' for a lack of a better term. Pushing back the trip to early July. As for 'Camp Grounds,' vis a vis full on RV's some 'say what's?' reads. One has 375 'spots' with (if I've read that right) 'zero' amities .. not even electricity. Everyone's allowed to run their generators from 0800 to 2000 . can you even imagine the noise, let alone the exhaust fumes that will produce. So much for 'Peace and Quite.'

Sheesh ...
    fae

9. Ed Call

Fred, are you set on staying in the park? With my tent trailer that was prohibited because it is not solid sided. Over the weekend I was browsing a bunch of RV sites in the greater West Yellowstone area and found no less than four that had power and water hookups. As for June's flows, I'm praying that flows late in June will be acceptable to fish. I've never been, so I really don't have any idea. Generators, hate them...until I find myself a nice tiny and quiet one.

10. tediousthumper

tediousthumper Hello My name is Thad and Im addicted to flyfishin

I would suggest these RV places rather than staying directly in the park. The park can be a big traffic jam, staying in these places will give you a sence of the real outdoors. You may think Dubois may be a bit far, but really it's not and such a beautifull area. You'll feel like having two vacations in one, while visiting yellowstone and staying in Dubois. Two completley different scenery's. The red rock canyons around Dubois are amazing. The fishing is epic with not a sole in site.
    http://yellowstonerv.com.rezsys.arvixevps.com/WP/?page_id=39
    http://www.riversideinnandcampground.com/
    http://www.gtlc.com/lodging/colter-bay-village-overview.aspx
    http://www.thelonghornranch.com/

11. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Roger that about 'hard sided' "RV's;" read that and did a 'say what?' My guess is we'll be outside the Park (probably the West side) as a short drive to get to the Park is no big deal. Vis a vis the generator question, know several folks who use the Honda's. Excellent equipment and quite as a church mouse.

Fred

12. Nooksack Mac

Nooksack Mac Active Member

Hard side camper vehicles mandatory? Where? Most of the Park campgrounds are full of tents and tent campers.

As a helpful hint, I found an inexpensive private campground on the banks of the Coeur d'Alene River, halfway across Idaho just off I-90. A few miles east of Cataldo (Exit 43?). It's excellently positioned to break up the two-day drive from Pugetopolis to the Park.

13. Ed Call

I'm considering one of the ultra quiet generators for locations without hookups. This can get us some power and heat as needed, perhaps on a family outing to some remote EWA locations where primitive stays can be upgraded for the ladies comfort.

Cataldo you say Mac, will look into this one as a possible stop over. Not sure where our trip breakdown point will be but I'm going to need one in each direction.

14. fredaevans

fredaevans Active Member

Many Thanks to all of you who've responded here, or PM'ed. Never having been anywhere in the area (am I one of the few????) this is all new to me. Wanting to do a month in the area via MH 'living' takes things up more than a 'knotch' $$$$ wise. At 5.8 mpg/$3.30/gallon (and I assume up) ... yikes. Make the 'stay' long enough (Dear God I do sound like someone with a Masters in Economics/Statistics/etc. :>( )

Actually I'm really looking forward to doing something 'truly new.'

Fred

15. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

Right now gas in Montana is running at $2.88.9 a gallon It's been that way for over three months now.