Yeti or?

Discussion in 'Camping, Hiking, Cooking' started by Mark Walker, Apr 16, 2014.

1. Casey Hodges

Casey Hodges Member

I have the 20 qt and 65 qt Yeti's and love them. The 65 is there best do-everything size. Get a tan one, because the white doesn't stay white for long. And a good lock!

2. freestoneangler

freestoneangler Not to be confused with Freestone

Haven't run the math, but how many fewer bags of block ice will it take to pay for one of these as opposed to using my plain-Jane Coleman? And Ive just defined the holy grail of cooler design... writing up the patent right now ;).

3. freestoneangler

Reminds me of the old Samsonite luggage commercials with the gorilla.

4. troutdopemagic

troutdopemagic Active Member

I've owned two Yeti's for close to 2 years now. I didn't understand why they cost so much until i bought it. They hold ice ridiculously long, incredibly durable, and bear proof. Nothing I've ever seen compares. If I had one gripe, its that they are very heavy, but they wouldn't work aswell if they were lighter.

5. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

When you do that math, make sure you include your time and gas running into town when you could be fishing.

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  6. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    I wonder how many Yeti owners have actually had the opportunity to test the 'Bear Proof" feature in real life? I know it is one of the selling points and looks great in commercials, but is that really as important as it's made out to be?
    Any actual eye witness, real life, accounts would be interesting to hear about.

LB

7. Trapper

Trapper Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    I think the real selling point of the "Bear Proof" feature is that it means you can more easily comply with the USFS rules for food storage.

Trapper

John Hicks and SpiffySteve like this.
  8. papafsh

papafsh Piscatorial predilection

Home Page:
    Trapper,
    I'm sure you are right about that, I would've guessed that you were most likely to have had a real story about it though.

LB

9. Trapper

Trapper Author, Writer, Photographer

Home Page:
    Nope. I haven't had a bear roll my coolers. We did lose a cooler once off a pack mule and the packer didn't know where it fell off. He found it a few days later and a bear had chewed it up, but it wasn't a Yeti or Yeti clone.

I've had bears walk right by the tent I sleep in at night but I haven't had one tear up the cook/mess tent.

We put up a bear fence around the cook tent and when there's no one in camp a bear would have to brave 7,000 volts to get to the cooler.

I REALLY hope I don't ever write a "bear rolled my Yeti" story here.

Trapper

Alex MacDonald likes this.
  10. splett

splett Active Member

I use the coleman extremes.If I pre chill a day before and make sure everything has been in the fridge all night they are good for 4 days in the shade at camp.But they are not bear proof.My german shepard is though.I also find that the bigger ice cubes from my freezer work better than the smaller store bought.All these cooler specs are based doing just what I described above.

here is a review http://www.outdoorgearlab.com/Cooler-Reviews

Edit:The differance between the new and old is spray foam.

11. chewydog

chewydog Active Member

I found out this week that my Igloo Marine 100 is no match for a hungry black bear. 100% my fault. It's always in the vehicle, 'cept when it isn't. Took it out to drain the water and then it ended up by the cook stove. The tequila was flowing and it got forgotten. Woke up to noises in the night. Bear was pawing through everything and eating everything. Paid no mind to my yelling or honking the horn with the panic button. Lesson learned again. Did you know bears don't bother to crack an egg when they eat one...or a dozen.

12. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Seriously? Keep your plain Jane. He is asking about coolers and you offer your input about amortized ice savings. Ever think of just not replying?

Mark, my non bear proof 5 day Coleman did damn fine for four 100* days on the Grand Ronde. I'd love the Yeti, but stuck with a cheaper option. I know folks with Yeti and others with Yukons. All happy campers

bennysbuddy likes this.
  13. freestoneangler

Seriously? Yes. Depending on how one intends to use these, the upfront cost to long term payback is a relevant discussion. Case in point, we just returned from MT and fishing with a guide I've known/fished with for years. I noted he used a Coleman and asked him why not the Yeti. His response was that the Coleman works great for his daily outings and that it would take a damn long time to recoup the premium Yeti's fetch.

Things must be slow for you. My response was in May. Forever chasing OMJ's number of posts will make you go insane ;).

Old Man likes this.
  14. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I've been busy. OMJ is safe from me!

15. Jerry Daschofsky

Jerry Daschofsky Moderator Staff Member

Home Page:
    Unfortunately, it's not meant for the "daily" user. In the sense that they're home every day like some of the guides are (and I note some of them). There are some of us who are out in the field for a week or two at a time. Not having to get more ice (if you can at times) and spoiled food just two times (and have seen that on failed coolers) would save the cost easy. Don't look at ice, look at the food inside. It wouldn't take long for some of us who actually use our coolers to see the value in saved food costs. If you're an average Joe, it's way overkill. But if you're either cooking professionally or running a long term camp, it's priceless. Spent 5 days on the lower Yak having to pump ice non stop into my coolers. Spent over $75 on ice in those 5 days. A guy I know on this board had a Yeti. Never refilled it with ice and had original ice after 5 days. Well, with some melt, but he had way more ice then I did after refilling all three numerous times over and over again. Had me sold pretty damned quick.