Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Yo, Montana guys!

2K views 27 replies 21 participants last post by  bakerite 
#1 ·
Mrs. Salmo always keeps an eye out for interesting time share exchanges, which occasionally results in me going fishing. Sun Valley, Idaho didn't come through, so we're staying in the Whitefish-Columbia Falls area the week of Labor Day, and the kids like the Glacier Park area. So it looks like a float on the NF Flathead in is order. I did that once about 30 years ago, so another visit to the area is probably in order. Last time I fish McDonald Creek below the lake outlet, but I guess that's been closed for years now. What am I overlooking and otherwise not seeing? If there are lesser known jewels in the vicinity that you wouldn't mind sharing, PMs are always appreciated.

And Crikey! There was just a movie on the other night about a man and daughter attacked by a bear in Glacier, although it happened 10 years ago. Will pack whistles, bells, bear spray, and as many large caliber firearms as we can carry.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Sg

#2 ·
Unfortunately, Salmo, time-shares are not included in any of my travels & my lodging arrangements when I'm back home resemble the homes of Nieces & Nephews. Best of luck with your search & enjoy my home state. Glacier is a beautiful place. Remember that Grizzly scat can be readily identified by the tiny bells in it & a slight peppery smell, lol. Make plenty of noise on the trails & you should be fine.

#17 ·
South Fork of the Flathead is open to Bull Trout. .
Actually it closes to legally fishing for bulls on August 1st.

I would second the South Fork and the Swan.

The Kootenai is a little under 2 hours from Whitefish and the Blackfoot is a little over two hours.

The Blackfeet reservation lakes are around two hours away, if you are into still water they are worth checking out.
I don't know how well they fish in late summer.

#11 ·
I live in the Flathead and do the majority of my fishing in the various rivers of the Flathead drainage, and I doubt you'll find the major rivers fishable then. That's usually the prime season for our run-off, so I'd expect all the rivers (Middle Fork, South Fork, North Fork, and Main Stem) to be totally blown out. You could fish some smaller waters or chase grayling in a lake. That's usually the time we are just waiting things out for the flows to drop and the water to clear up.

But if we don't get any more good snow, run-off might come a little early. Even then, Labor Day should still be right in the middle of high, dirty water.

#14 ·
The peak of run off is the first week of September?

#15 · (Edited)

Labor Day is Sept 1st.....Most of the major rivers should be in good shape at that time. I've had good luck on the Swan but that one is a technical float. It's a good wade river with plenty of access points.

May and June are the typical peak flow periods for the Flathead drainage

#16 · (Edited)
Sorry--I misread Memorial Day instead of Labor Day. So, yes, peak runoff will be well over. In fact, you might even run into the opposite problem--water too low and warm. It will just depend on how warm spring is and how much snow we get between now and June.

There will be a lot of options, though. The South Fork of the Flathead is a great float, assuming you have a boat and can arrange a shuttle. Spotted Bear may be too low, but if not its a fantastic river. Some time in early- to mid-September the fish all drop (lower South Fork and Spotted Bear) into Hungry Horse Reservoir, but you'd probably be ahead of that for Labor Day. Also keep in mind that legally targeting bull trout ends on July 31.

The North Fork is a great option, along with the Middle Fork and the Main Stem--all depending on conditions of course.

Your best bet is to check in with Lakestream Fly Shop on Whitefish for the latest. Justin and Rob are great guys--really helpful and fantastic guides.

Is there a specific experience you're looking for? Glacier can have decent fishing in park bounds, but you're looking at a hike to some stillwater.

#18 · (Edited)
I'd second the Blackfoot and throw in Rock Creek as an option. We had some great days last September on both when the spruce moth took off. Hopefully (fingers crossed) we will get some decent rains this spring/summer. If not, both of those may be low and too warm.

Edited: I had to check my journal and our action of the spruce moth was actually in mid august and had tapered off by Sept. We had two trips on RC and one on the Blackfoot in Sept and did well on BWO and hoppers.

#21 ·
Salmo,

I also live in the Flathead, and operate a VRBO within just a couple miles of the N. Fork. I am always interested in trade options.

http://www.vrbo.com/289665

This goes for any WFF member, let me know if you want to come visit and if you have a destination property you'd like to trade dates!

Just FYI regarding Bullies on the S. Fork. You can fish the Hungry Horse RESERVOIR until Aug 15 but, the RIVER closes to targeting Bulls July 31.

Feel free to pm me any time for Beta, or ideas of how to make your family adventure fishing friendly!

Cheers!

Karsten

#27 ·
Hi Karsten,

My wife and two boys are heading up that way for a wedding near Whitefish this July 25th...we are very excited about getting in some fly fishing during the trip (well ok, my wife isn't so excited!). I see your place is booked, but it looks perfect! Can you suggest any other rental cabins/houses? If you get a cancellation around then, please PM me.

Cheers,
Errol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.