You can't have it both ways!

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Bob Triggs, Jun 6, 2012.

1. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

For some folks you don't need to rationalize their deficiency. BR

2. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

Correct it was the Pac -10, they added two schools making it currently the Pac-12. BR

3. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

I get it. Rock>shop<hardplace. However, if the tax breaks are what's holding them back, why aren't the shops taking advantage of the same tax breaks other retailers are for selling online? You're pointing out a clear competitive advantage of why they are losing business. Might be time for a new look of how they approach their business model.

4. Etamaman

Etamaman Member

X-Fox Island, WA now back down south across the li
    I rarely set foot in a Flyshop unless I am buying something, looking for a certain product, or visiting to say Hi. I am guilty of stopping by to ask how the fishing has been and not immediately buying something, but I will return and buy something for sure. I may buy something online in the meantime, but always come back to the Flyshop to support them when I can. You can not examine feathers, materials or other fly products online.

However, the online businesses that offer up "good deals" are somewhat more attractive since the Economy took a dive. I think not only the Flyshop owners are feeling this, but anyone that is in the Sporting Goods type business is feeling it. Heck, I am not a business owner of any type and I feel it.
    It must be tough to compete with these online businesses and I thank every Flyshop that has tried their best to compete and help their customers out wherever they can....Hats off to you Flyshops.

Sorry to hear someone came in and decided not to buy your product after your help, but don't burn your bridges too soon.....They will return to buy more stuff than just boots.

5. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Getting the sales tax break only applies when selling to someone out of state. To serve their local customers, they have to charge sales tax. Many local shops have taken to doing online sales, like Pacific Fly Fishers. But even if I ordered from them sitting right here at my computer, I'd still get hit with taxes.

6. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    Off-topic Evan but you have one of the funniest pics on the forum as your "personal pic" or whatever they are called. Classic.

Evan Burck likes this.
  7. jessejames

jessejames Flyslinger

[quote="Etamaman, post: 741351, member: 13879
    Sorry to hear someone came in and decided not to buy your product after your help, but don't burn your bridges too soon.....They will return to buy more stuff than just boots.[/quote]
    Etamaman thank for the kind words. I thanked the gentleman for coming in and gave him a brochure of all the upcoming classes and seminars that we have planned. The fly fishing community is too small to hold a grudge against anyone. This guy will come back sometime because he will remember we treated him with respect.
    Everyone who walks in the door gets the same degree of service and respect regardless of the amount of money they spend.
    jesse

dryflylarry, Etamaman and Codioos like this.
  8. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Def: Integrity

9. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Sort of like pointing out bad spelling or that using an Iphone makes it harder to spell....................................pfffft.

I guess there is no good reason to support your local businesses. After all it is a global economy these days. I know one thing. I don't depend on the internet to tell me where I should spend my locally made money. From now on I am only buying my fly fishing gear from fly shops located in San Marino. There, I said it.

10. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

A number of flyshops in the state have closed in recent years. I'm just curious how many had any internet presence that allowed them to sell their products online. Anyone know?
    I know of one now defunct shop owner who just had no interest in doing so, even though internet sales were taking away from his business. It is to bad, because I really enjoyed his shop and he had a great selection of goods.
    I know it isn't an inexpensive proposition to set up and maintain a online store, but all business regardless of their size need to adapt to the ever changing way people purchase goods.

Steffan Brown and Two-Hand like this.
  11. 5shot

5shot Member

You have yet to answer the question... What do you do?

You throw out a degree from some mysterious school, (by citing a NCAA sports division that didn't exist when you went there) and then inform us all that we are already your customers.

12. Steffan Brown

Steffan Brown ...

Pacific Fly Fishers is a great example of a great online presence, plus service, plus brick and mortar inventory. I would venture to guess they still have the same problem with showroomers, but it would be interesting to see the difference in frequency between them and other shops. I love their shop, but I always look at their website before going into the shop to touch, feel and ask questions. They will most likely be getting my money this upcoming weekend because this information and service is readily available to me. I feel the same way about Leland and the good folks at Orvis Bellevue. Sometimes, I'll go to the Avid Angler because they are just great people and closer to my house. Bottom line is, as the customer, it's up to me to make the choice of how I go about spending my money. I understand the ethics behind why it's shitty to mislead a sale and therefore, don't do this myself. However, it happens all the time, across all industries. At the end of the day, in my job, it's up to me to pull my pants back up and find an opportunity elsewhere to make a sale.

Kcahill and jordan101 like this.
  13. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

CIA ;)

14. BRsnow

BRsnow Member

I told you I work in finance. I have no desire to put anymore information on the web site. I do find it odd your desire to learn more about me. I don't recall anyone asking these types of questions on the fishing forum before. I provided sound advice, whether people would like to take it is up to them. No my issue, I do find this thread entertaining. Worth printing out...BR

15. 5shot

5shot Member

You're probably right...