You Lucky Bastard...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by pinkygonzales, Mar 13, 2012.

1. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Well if you weren't really expecting much, and you don't know if there were any fish there, you've pretty much got your answer. Oh, that's just great, a newb taking out another newb. That's a good way to increase your odds of getting skunked. Raise your expectations, and fish over fish. If you're gonna' bother to fish with someone else, at least pick someone who knows what the hell they're doing. Then you'll see it ain't that big a deal.

Sg

2. pinkygonzales

pinkygonzales Swingin' for them shiny steel

Home Page:
    Yea, not at all my point, but ok.

3. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

Several times I've hooked fish over the side of the boat after just tossing the fly in after releasing a fish.

One day I landed the same trout twice, I knew because it was such a unique fish, which made me wonder how often that happens without knowing it.

I once hooked a fish on my backcast that sat on the water a bit to long.

I was realing in a line to moved it out of the way when my buddy hooked a
    sturgeon. While reeling in I also hooked a sturgeon, but mine was bigger.

4. Codioos

Codioos Active Member

Or how about when you are walking upstream and a fish hits. Classic.

5. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Geez Pinky, you began this thread kinda' whinin' about not hooking up. Then you give me a thumb down. This makes me think you don't recognize constructive advice when you read it. You're making it hard for a guy to help you. You can be the best caster, but if you don't learn to fish where fish are and when they are there, and then choose a fishing partner who knows less about it than you do, you're only handicapping yourself. Sorry if you don't get it.

Sg

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Salmo_g that is excellent advice.

I know one small river where I'll only fish the one or two spots where I've caught fish before. For some reason, there's a lot of water that looks good but never seems to hold fish. At least not when i've fished it. Not enough room for two parties in there. If I go there and find someone else's rig already parked, I'll just turn around and go to another river, and vow to show up earlier the next time. (I never even checked it out this year).