Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

You must retain your first two hatchery fish on the Methow

5K views 44 replies 25 participants last post by  Jonathan Tachell 
#1 ·
Hi fellow steelheaders,

I originally posted this in a thread for the Methow / Wenatchee opener but it was buried so I thought I'd reiterate my point and Freestone's additional comments in a new thread.

I wrote:

KEEP THE FIRST TWO HATCHERY FISH YOU LAND! There are literally guys every year (mostly fly fishers) that will release them so they can continue fishing through the day and then make false reports that the fish they released that morning were wild - just in case they were being watched. Don't do this. It exaggerates the number of wild fish recorded and can get the season shut down earlier than warranted. For those of us that live in the valley or have places there that f'ing sucks.

Freestone's comments:

Well said Lex! Selfish f'ing idiots contributed to the early/winter closure last year. If you aren't willing to keep your hatchery fish, then fish elsewhere as this is meat fishery, plain and simple. Bring a pen, knife and cooler otherwise you may have a hard time convincing the officer that you intend to keep your brats.

Also, keep the Endangered wild steelhead in the water! Don't be a douchebag and lift your wild steelhead for the hero shot as it is not only illegal, but it shows how little respect you have for these ESA-listed fish. Plus, if you really need the hero shot to boost your ego it basically broadcasts to everyone that you are really just compensating for your small rod!

My final words:

There are ALREADY people doing this yesterday and today. Releasing hatchery fish and calling them wild to the creel checkers so they can keep on fishing. Yes, this was verified. This is seriously unethical and completely selfish behavior. Enforcement is looking for this activity and don't treat it lightly, so get with the program. The Methow steelhead season is an EMERGENCY OPENER - A F'ING MEAT FISHERY - NOT A SPORTSPERSON'S STEELHEAD PARADISE TO ABUSE THE RULES.

Just trying to get the word out so please help to disseminate this information to others.

Thanks,

Lex

See less See more
#42 ·
Thinking about the incredible journey that both hatchery or native steelhead make (dams, warm water, ocean predation, nets, idiots, etc) I considerate a a near miracle that they are even in the Methow river! I live within two hours of fishing this River but usually end up fishing a favorite lake in the area instead due to the Godless hoards including a growing number of gear fisherman that plug almost every piece of fishable water.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.