You must retain your first two hatchery fish on the Methow

Discussion in 'Steelhead' started by Lex, Oct 17, 2012.

1. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Went yesterday and my low expectations were a reality. On top of the issues I foresaw, it didn't cross my mind that there was such a huge run of kings up there this year. The river is just full of moldy, spawning kings. The spots where the steelhead usually sit are full of salmon. Made for a pretty frustrating day, especially since they weren't shy about eating a swung fly. Reeling in a moldy king = not epic.

2. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Evan,

Good seeing and talking with you yesterday on the Met.

I was in the area working and fished four straight days, never more than an hour or two at a time and always at either at first or last light. Primarily swinging, I had two grabs in those four days, though I did (cough) throw a bobber on a Spey rod one of the days, mostly out of frustration and didn't do any better with that method either. Long gone are the days of making a couple casts and catching a couple of hatchery fish.

My complaint is why folks don't identify the origin of the fish before netting it? There is no reason to net a fish that is planned to be released. I guess it wouldn't bother me much except you never see knotless nets used (or large enough) to properly land steelhead. Wearing waders and using barbless hooks should allow the natural origin fish to be quickly and carefully released in the water, without netting or banging on the rocks.

3. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    I net wilds to keep from prolonging the fight. I can have one in the net before it runs off again. I'd rather do that than wait til it's too tired to keep fighting.

4. jeff bandy

jeff bandy Make my day

You nailed it on the head.

5. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Nothing wrong with that approach but I saw fish caught by bank anglers without waders who once they get them in the net (not knotless) take an inordinate amount of time to determine whether it was a "keeper" or not, all the while, having the fish thrash about on the rocks, half in and half out of the water. The scene, repeated over several times didn't sit well with me.

6. Evan Burck

Evan Burck Fudge Dragon

Home Page:
    Yeah, that's completely stupid. I use the net to prevent bringing them to the shallows.

7. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I agree with his fudgeness. Knot less net quick, not in shallow and release or bonk as appropriate.

8. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

I thought it was a regulation that if you use a net it must be of the knotless type on the methow & lake pateros..

9. BDD

BDD Active Member

Home Page:
    Not sure as I didn't read the regs carefully (since I don't use a net steelhead fishing) but I do know that statewide, knotless nets are required for all selective gear fisheries, which would include the Methow but apparently not Lake Pateros as I saw a ton of guys using shrimp in the Columbia.

10. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Once I started fishing areas needing knotless I went all knotless.

The Duke likes this.
  11. bennysbuddy

bennysbuddy the sultan of swing

In the past bait was legal on the lake, but as a hatchery only kill fishery knotless nets were required lakeside, haven't looked at this years regs as of yet

12. Golden Trout

Golden Trout Active Member

Thinking about the incredible journey that both hatchery or native steelhead make (dams, warm water, ocean predation, nets, idiots, etc) I considerate a a near miracle that they are even in the Methow river! I live within two hours of fishing this River but usually end up fishing a favorite lake in the area instead due to the Godless hoards including a growing number of gear fisherman that plug almost every piece of fishable water.

13. Rich Simms

Rich Simms Active Member

Don't let Sophia or wild steelhead down. image.jpg

Freestone likes this.
  14. ak_powder_monkey

ak_powder_monkey Proud to Be Alaskan

question: can you kill hatchery steelhead and throw them back in the river?

15. Jonathan Tachell

Jonathan Tachell Active Member

No it is illegal for recreational fisherman and hunters to waste fish or game in Washington.