You Tube tried to ruin my summer...

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Matt Burke, Apr 6, 2009.

1. Matt Burke

Matt Burke Active Member

Again, I believe it is a freedom of speech issue and has been since the first vinyl record. Speaking of five years olds, why don't you change that fucking avatar.

2. SteelieD

SteelieD Non Member

The original is MUCH better. Too bad they screwed you.

3. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

Matt, not that I disliked the Creed version, but the Nickleback version fits much nicer into your clip, of course that is part of your point on what you Want and Need. Great clip, sorry that the man is trying to keep you down. Thanks again for sharing.

4. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

let me get this straight! freedom of speach is "OK", but freedom from clothes isn't? double standard bastard!!!!
    :D
    either way, nice video Matt, who were u fishing with?

5. Ed Call

Freedom from clothing has never been contested Buck Naked, merely your freedom from clothes. I think we can all think of examples of freedom of clothes that we might accept. In my mind yours is just not one of them.

Matt, was that a surprise hookup as you walked to the camera? Was it on a tripod or was someone sacrificing their time on the water by tracking you?

Was that a "pardon me, but do you have any Grey Poupon" intro? Killer!

6. RBSRC

RBSRC New Member

Actually, that's not entirely accurate (which is why it's probably best to avoid relying on a 5-year old for legal advice). Copyright protection is not absolute and is balanced by the so-called the "fair use doctrine," which ostensibly allows folks like Matt to make limited (esp. non-commercial) use of a copyrighted work without obtaining permission from the copyright holder, provided that the use is "reasonable" under a four-part balancing test. Hard to say whether sampling an entire song for a You-Tube video would qualify, but unfortunately, in order to find out, Matt would have to be willing to assume the risks of litigation and spend tens of thousands of dollars in legal fees in order to defend his fair use rights . . .

What I don't understand is how You-Tube gets to substitute one copyrighted work (Creed's) for another (Nickel Back's). Anyway, great video. :ray1:

7. Ed Call

I belive that one is covered by permission. Some copyright holders have granted permission for sites like youtube or for purposes like youtube and others have not. I've seen a few instances where artists refuse to allow their work on free download sites and such, maybe Nickel Back is one such band?

8. KerryS

KerryS Ignored Member

Bastards! Freakin' bastards! I hate youtube. I like your vid but I hate youtube

Now, yuvutu is a cool site.

9. Old Man

Old Man Just an Old Man

I believe that he was fishing with Bhudda.

10. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Ya that makes sense, buddha (Jeff) was selling some toons awhile ago.

SRC, the 5 year old comment was obviously a joke but at the same time they want people to buy their music and not use it without paying for it. It's pretty clear from here. I have a good friend who is a copyright att., I'll ask him...
    BN

11. Ed Call

Buck Naked, ask your atty friend if he knows a way to get you some clothing in his next settlement, and not those gross hip waders either!

12. TexBC

TexBC Fly Addict

Why is everyone hating on youtube for this? It is my understanding that it is the record labels/agents/etc that are the ones holding people like Matt back, isn't it? Youtube is merely the conduit.

Either way, great vid Matt.
    :D
    Tex

13. Buck

Buck "Ride'n Dirty."

Tex, I could agree more. I absolutely love you tube. That and google and you couold have just about everything figured out. How to byulid rods, tie flys, roll cast, spey cast, paint a car, scare the shit out of someone, kick boxing, the world is the limit.

Ya, nice vid Matt. You shouldn't let it ruin your summer. In fact, look up meditation on you-tube, i'm sure there is a good video for it. ;)

14. Mingo

Mingo the Menehune stole my beer

nice work Matt, boy are you the talk of tinseltown.........................

[​IMG]

15. bhudda

bhudda heffe'

Home Page:
    cant wait to do it again, this time with a live band on-site, in another boat, jammin down the river! rock stars rule! matty, lets go film some sock footage....