Your Comments on the Sage ZXL

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by Gregg Lundgren, Jan 9, 2011.

1. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I was just wondering how long it takes South Fork to land those chums and large trout with his 3wt? Just curious. If you like med/med fast rods you should not rule out Winston,
    it's what they're known for, pricey, but in my opinion, worth it.

2. Nick Clayton

Nick Clayton Active Member

I'm never one to judge a gear whore mentality, but I have read your post a few times and I can't find the part where it explains the need for a new rod? It sounds like the CT rods you have, along with the Launch, cover all of your 5 wt needs, so unless there is some issue that you haven't mentioned, why do you want a new rod? I take it that you like the action of the CT, since the ZXL's similarity to it is what draws you in that direction, so why not just stick with the rods you have and use the money for other things?

Unless of course you simply have money burning a hole in your pocket, and a strong desire for more gear, which I can totally understand.

Nick

3. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

Scott's G2 series is very very similar to the Sage ZXL. I own two now (8'4" 4wt and 5wt...both great rods), but have owned or cast several others in that series. The G2 series' sweet spot is the 8'4" and 8'8" lengths in 4-5wt. However, I found the G2's in 9'0" lengths to be too sluggish for my taste.

4. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

I cast the Z Axis and ZXL in 3wt when I was in the market. At that time I was into faster and got a very good deal on a "used" but seemingly mint Z Axis with a blank warranty card. I wonder now...but for my slower perceived needs I do have a 3wt Redington CT. You know that the CT will deliver that medium action you will enjoy because you are a cool and mellow fishy fool. If you have the budget and desire, get one or both. Use the ZXL for dries and use the Z Axis for some high sticking!

5. Gregg Lundgren

Gregg Lundgren Now fishing on weekdays too!

More great comments. Thanks again. I will determine the appropriate Winston rod(s)to add to the short list, and include the Scott G2 8'8" and 9'0" for comparison also.

Nick... Thanks for the voice of reason! I guess I don't know, what I don't know. I will of course have my existing rods in the line-up. Unless I find enlightenment, I would agree, use the money towards experiences, rather than equipment.

OK, now can't you see Nick sitting on one of my shoulders, and Mumbles on the other? I see where you both are coming from!

6. Ed Call

Ed Call Mumbling Moderator Staff Member

If Nick and I were sitting on your shoulders you would have chronic back pain and be crushed. Nothing wrong with the CT lineup, you have them, you know this is true. It is your money. I can't keep the economy on life support alone!

7. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

You could try the G2's in 9'0", but as I wrote earlier, they are sluggish. I recommend that series in 8'8" and 8'4".

8. Gregg Lundgren

Thanks Lugan. I did pick up on what you said, but sluggish is not a well defined term to me. If sluggish means tending even more towards medium action(too much in your case), then maybe it's still in my desired range. Then again, maybe I will rule it out as you did via my blind test. If it ranked high with me, I would find a way to check and see if it has the reserve "punch" that I might need(I think that is where you were going in your reference to being sluggish).

This brings up a good point.

Do most fly shops accomodate throwing multiple set-ups so that you can really evaluate a "tweener" rod?
    (I don't want to be "that" guy! But I do want to get it right.)

There have been comments posted about all the money one can spend in search of the holy grail. Hopefully, others are benefiting from this discussion along with myself.

It could mean less listings in the classifieds however.:rolleyes:

9. mark.eberstein

mark.eberstein New Member

thanks for information on the zxl, as i've wondered the same. i love my 389-4 slt, as other's have also mentioned they like this model. when is sage going to come out with more options within the zxl model? a 5 piece zxl would nice. an 8'9'' length in the zxl's would be nice.

10. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I know most of the local fly shops would be happy to let you cast as many rods as you want, they realize that thats one of the big differences between them and the big box stores. You might have to make prier arrangements with some of them if they are in a poor location for testing rods, I'd cast as many as you can. That's one thing I miss about having lots of fly fishing shows.

11. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

The way I'd describe it is two-fold: The 9'0" 5wt and 6wt G2 have ever so slightly softer flex than their shorter stable mates, but more important, they also felt tip-heavy to me. They were effective casting machines as far as getting your fly from point A to point B, but just not as much fun to cast as the equally effective and nearly as soft 8'8" and 8'4" rods. The only thing the 9'0" rods did better than the shorter models was roll cast and mend, but you could say that about nearly any longer rod over a shorter rod.

12. Gregg Lundgren

Got it Lugan. Thanks again.

mark m... I'll certainly check it out with my local fly shops, but what I really was wondering... Will they be willing to line the same rod multiple times for diverse set-ups, e.g. a dry fly vs. a double weighted nymph rig set-up? You know, in search of the "tweener". Sorry, my ignorance might be showing here. But hey, I am among friends and helpful fly fishers with sage advice to give. (Although a few might be getting grumpy about this time. Probably time to let this thread fade away soon.)

13. scottflycst

scottflycst Active Member

Gregg,
    You'll just have to ask them. You might consider taking your own reel and line.

14. Mark Mercer

Mark Mercer Member

I would have to agree with Scott, taking a reel with line would be a great way to test the rods side by side, with a line you're familiar with, the only down side would be the ground (or parking lot) you would have to cast them on. As far as casting with different set ups, dry, nymph, or even different lines, that might be just about impossible. You'll just have to ask and see how far they'll go get your business. I would just cast with a dry line and and make my decision from that, I think you'll know which one fits you best. Good luck

15. Lugan

Lugan Joe Streamer

The other downside is brining a line that is not well-suited to one or more of the rods you are testing.