your dream set-up?

Discussion in 'Spey Clave' started by luckybalbowa, Dec 1, 2006.

1. Randyflyfisher

Randyflyfisher Member

I have 2 set ups which I use.
    Sage TCR 9140,Hardy Ultralight Disc Spey Reel with an SA XLT cut back to accomodate tips.
    Sage TCR 8123,SA 650 grain Skagit line with tips,presently using a Greys spey reel but looking to put an Islander LX when funds become available, hopefully for spring.

2. Brent Comer

Brent Comer Member

This is my favorite: Meiser 13'6" MKS. Unfortunately, I don't have the Bougle to match.

3. Rookiespey

Rookiespey Member

Got mine all set up.

Burkheimer 9143-3 with a Loop Classic 10/13 & a Ian Gordon Partridge line.

Winston BII-X 7133-4 with a Joe Saracione & a CND GPS line.
    :thumb:

4. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

I only get jazzed about fishing rods when they're made of split cane. Until I met my CND Spey Tracker, that is. It is the only plastic rod that has ever excited me as much as a nice bamboo. And it's not that there is any comparison; there isn't. Like a nice cane trout rod, the Tracker does what I want without me ever thinking about it. Too bad it only comes in the 5/6/7 wt, so it's not really suited to winter work. I have other Spey rods that are good rods, but I don't really get jazzed about them. I main reels I use are the Hardy St John and a large Viscount, and an LL Bean reel made by Hardy. I've got a Tioga that appears better made than all the others, but it's got a 9 wt on it that I seldom use.

I guess I dream of fishing more than the gear I'll use when I get there.

5. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

well said! But, I do get excited over new gear, its like anticipating presents on christmas morning as a kid. :) My new set-up for me is also in anticipation of my trip home to do some steelheading. Kind of exciting in a couple ways for me I guess.

(got most of my cork in today, other components and rod blank shipped today!)

6. Big Tuna

Big Tuna Member

I was hoping you'd include that Tioga in your "dream" set-up:p and then regale us w/ stories of the huge steelhead you've caught on it. If it's possible to bottle your ambivalence to tackle, send me a bit. When I used to golf, I was always looking for that "one" club that would make all the difference. I've got the same problem w/ fly fishing. My wife can't understand. Last year I bought a 10' 7 weight BIIX and I said that's it for a long time. Now I'm trying to convince her that I need a new spey rod:cool: I'm job security for the FFing industry.

7. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
  8. Paul Huffman

Paul Huffman Driven by irrational exuberance.

Home Page:
    Last month I had a dream about a Sage 15201-2. The rod tube it came with had wheels and a trailer hitch so you could hook it up to the back of a truck to get it around.

9. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

B. Tuna,

The largest steelhead I've caught were all on Hardy reels. A 20 and 23# on the Hardy Princess and a 27# on the St. John. I've caught more steelhead on an 8 1/2' no-name fiberglass fly rod than on all the other steelhead tackle I've had before or since, combined. I've got a closet full of over-priced rods and reels that haven't caught a fraction of the glass rod/Princess set-up. Although I don't need any more fishing tackle, I'll probably continue to add to my collection for enjoyment's sake. I guess that'll help maintain a viable fly fishing gear industry.

You can sorta' see why I place so little value on the whole disc drags on freshwater fly reels. Not worthless, but nothing was ever so unnecessary.

You didn't ask for my advice, so I'll just ask, why would you ever bother trying to convince your wife you need a new Spey rod? If she knows you, she knows need has nothing to do with it. And so do you. These are simply things we do because they give us some measure of satisfaction. Explain it to her that way. You didn't need to get married, but you did. You don't need a new Spey rod, but you will get one. See, why would she resist that logic? You're welcome, and no, there's no charge for marital counseling.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

10. Coach Duff

Coach Duff Banned or Parked

11. Coach Duff

Interception.

12. Coach Duff

To add to what Salmo said, I have been amused for years at people being talked into "needing" drag for steelhead. Or 200 yards of backing. The next time you hear about a steelhead going on a 100 yard or even 75 yard run uninterrupeted, walk out on a football or soccer field which you all know well and take a look. I've caught a bunch of big, native wild assed steelhead and a 40- 50 yard initial run is the norm, not the exception. There are always exceptions to everything, like fast heavy water right below the take that the fish gets sucked into, but as much as I love these fish, more BS is spread around by steelhead anglers than any other species. An 8 pound steelhead (the average) is not a threat to any decent reel, especially palmed correctly. Either is a 20 pounder for that matter. Even the mighty Thompson fish which can and will light up a 100 yard run are tamed each season by a small army of click and pawl enthusiasts. Drag is over-rated on steelies. I want to hear that reel scream to the heavens when that silver thunderbolt hits that fly. That's the main reason I use Hardy's is for that sound. (Plus tradition and respect for the fore-fathers) It's a cool way to be "shocked awake" after 19 hours of "swinging" and no fish. It's part of the sensory overload I crave and chase all over the damn place trying for one more ripping pull. That's the only reason. Drag has never been part of the equation, and never once have I've never wished I had a reel with a saltwater strong drag system. I haven't needed it. Plus collecting old Hardys is fun. If you beat the bushes, and are patient you can find mint Hardys in all models (left hand Perfects included) at shockingly good prices. Thats just me, nobody's right or wrong and each to his own! Tight lines Coach

13. Hal Eckert

Hal Eckert Active Member

My dream 5 wgt light spey is the Sage 5120 12 footer coupled with a fine traditional reel, like my old Marryat MR-9 (too large for the 5120, but light enough for it). Perhaps a Hardy.

:beer2:

BG

P.S. On the steelhead and drag setting issue, 26 years ago when I first started steelhead fly fishing yes I thought a strong drag was needed, but saw the light, and for the last 24 years my drag settings are very light, use finger against the line or rim to administrer drag when needed.

14. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Active Member

Thread hijack in progress.

Coach talks about a 40-50 yard initial run by a steelhead as the norm. I so wish that was true in my experience. Fully half or more of all steelhead I hook, I play on the length of line I was fishing at the time of the strike, or less. I'm beginning to think the next move in steelheading sportsmanship will be to fish without any backing on the reel. I estimate one steelhead in five as "hot." That is a fish that shows me the runs and jumps for which the species is famous. Rare is the steelhead that takes more than 50 yards of backing. The longest run I've had from any steelhead was a Thompson River fish that took just shy of 180 yards of backing. And that was in an atypical location, at the edge of a very fast chute with fast water for a long ways below.

I've only been able to find old Hardy's at shocking, not shockingly good, prices. I guess I haven't done enough scrounging and hunting.

The upshot is that high tech disc drag reels are over rated for steelhead, but as Coach said, to each his own. My dream Spey outfit would include a Hardy Salmon #2.

Sincerely,

Salmo g.

15. luckybalbowa

luckybalbowa Member

180 yards of backing? wow! I would love to hook up with one of those bad boys!

I was stringing up some stuff today and put anywhere from 50-75 yards of backing on my reels.