Your favorite "STILLWATER SOFT HACKLE"

Discussion in 'Stillwater' started by Drifter, Feb 16, 2012.

1. Irafly

Irafly Indi "Ira" Jones

I thought that it might be illegal to harvest starlings, so I just looked it up on the wdfw web site and they made it clear that eggs, young, male, female, elderly, etc... are fair game! Harvest away and maybe you could send some of the feathers to the rest of us as well.

Just out of curiosity, would a Carey special be considered a soft hackle? If so I think that it gets my vote.

2. Olive bugger

Olive bugger Active Member

Now that is an interesting question. I suppose that if you tied it with a thin body and sparse
    collar, it could be construed to be one.

3. Dave Boyle

Dave Boyle Active Member

Thanks Troutpocket,

a bit counterintuitive for hackle tying but it makes sense to tie in the least strong part and with each wrap you end up stronger each time. I'll have to give it a go. Didn't think re Utube, I'll have a look there too. Re starlings, I'd shoot the largers one if there's a clearish difference between them. The hackes are small to v. small.

Dave

4. Kevin Ryan

Kevin Ryan Member

Question and comment: Scotflycst, I know the good old Six Pack and its story, but what is the "Improved Six Pack", if you please?

And comment, it's always open season on Starlings. A friend of mine who is an avid birder, unaffectionately, refers to them as "sky rats". As you may know, The American Acclimatization Society, believing that America should be blessed with all the bird species mentioned in Shakespeare's plays, released hundreds of the "sky rats" in New Yorks Central Park in 1890 and 1891. We have been trying to keep them in check ever since.

5. Befishin

Befishin Member

It's a little known fact that Grayland Starlings are gay...either one will do.

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Ahoy Befishinbait! Howz yer rivers been treatin ya? I see yer determined to be politiklly inkeerect as usual, but these sorry excuses for sparrows are cross-dressers. You just can't tell 'em apart.

7. Tim Cottage

Tim Cottage Formerly tbc1415

8. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    Thanks Tim. I read your post on that thread and that explains why I'm having a hard time identifying many males. They really are a flock of bloody cross dressers! Must be descended from British stock! Maybe Befishin' was right! I did see a couple of darker ones that looked good, but most look like relative Plain Janes.
    They usually show up when about 4 or 5 other species are on my lawn, and its hard to get outside and sneak around the corner of the house without spooking them all. On a good day I can hit a beer can at 25 yards with the old Crossman that I confiscated from my nephew. Getting a strutting cock Starling in my sights might actually be some fun! I don't look forward to skinning it and preserving the skin, though. I wonder, is it considered cheesy to pluck off the feathers and stuff them into a little plastic bag? When going thru my stash, I found a bag of some small "Partridge" feathers that I bought like that.