Your favorite trailer hook?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by John Hicks, Feb 3, 2013.

1. John Hicks

John Hicks Owner and operator of Sea Run Pursuits

Home Page:
    I've been going through different styles of trailer hooks for while. I started out with Tiemcos but got tired of the hook point dulling and bending every time it touches a rock. I moved to Owners and liked them but again same issue albeit less so.

I really like Gamakatsu C14S goo-bug hooks, sticky sharp, hold point but the largest they come in is size 2. I tie my stingers with cable that wont run through the eye of a size 2 easily. Anyone have their preferences and why?

2. Jamie Wilson

Jamie Wilson Active Member

I just carry a diamond hone and regularly sharpen ANY hook. I think they all dull with use. I am absolutely sold on a sharp hook. You just never know what cast it's going to be.
    The Owners I like - just keep them as sharp as you can

3. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

Interesting debate - I went through this two years ago. I was fishing the Gamakatsu octopus - but didn't like that I couldn't resharpen them back to a 'sticky" feel. So then I went to Matzuo's - lost a few fish and really didn't like they way they bent out. So then I went to Owner cutting point and went right back to where I was with the Gamakatsu hook - I could get them sticky again.

Two things then happened in like two weeks - Tom Larimer and I talked about what hooks he uses and he said we went back to the Owner SSW. Solid hook and you can resharpen it pretty well -then I talked to a gear guy and he showed me the Speedy Sharp - a carbide sharping tool that "peels the steel" and really get my hooks back to that sticky feel - its the best thriteen bucks a steelheader will spend.

So I fish the Owner SSW in #2 mostly and I use the Speedy Sharp to get them back to a Sticky feel -

Jamie Wilson likes this.
  4. Derek Young

Derek Young Emerging Rivers Guide Services

Home Page:
    I'm with John, I like the Gamakatsu Octopus hook, normally in size 6 for stinger-style streamers. I use Firewire looped and tied through the eye and then again through my main hook eye, cutting off the lead hook, for a secure attachment.

triploidjunkie likes this.
  5. Jeremy Floyd

Jeremy Floyd fly fishing my way through life

I hated having a mojo fly that had to tip bent over of broken, when it was hardened steel. I ended up doing the small diamond sharpener thing and sticking with Gamakatsu.

I am guilty of spending a considerable amount of time, many many times to be honest, honing a favorite fly back into shape with a rock on the bank. Even when I had an identical fly sitting in my fly box. Something personal about the mojo of a fly and keeping it in service until it has earned it's place on the ceiling of my truck.

6. Salmo_g

Salmo_g Well-Known Member

Chris,

Where do you get this Speedy Sharp device? I've been using an Easy Lap diamond sharpener with fair success, but not always the sticky sharp I prefer. Previously I used a mill bastard file for decades, but remove so much metal I've taken entire points off hooks trying to get them sharp.

Sg

7. Blake Harmon

Blake Harmon Active Member

Gami octopus here in size 4 and 2 for my stingers. I seem to be able to sharpen them fine.

8. Chris DeLeone

Chris DeLeone Active Member

I get them at 3 Rivers marine in Woodinville - I think most gear targeted sporting good shops have them.

9. Stonefish

Stonefish Triploid, Humpy & Seaplane Hater

Although I don't steelhead much, I use Gamakatsu Octopus for all saltwater stingers. I buy them in 100 or value packs (25) to get the best bang for the buck.
    I always try to leave the stinger loop long enough that I can just swap out the hook in the field if it gets dinged.
    SF

10. Flyborg

Flyborg Active Member

I've been mostly using Owner mosquito hooks size 1.

11. triploidjunkie

triploidjunkie Active Member

I echo Derek. Mostly in size six also, but will move up to four or two if the dimensions of the fly call for it. But instead of line I use white backing looped through both eyes, wrapped, and gorilla glued. I then use a sharpie to color the backing to blend in with color of the fly.

Derek Young likes this.
  12. sashjo

sashjo Member

Really, were you using the # 2 TMC 600 SP?

13. Jamie Wilson

It's the fly mojo. Very difficult to understand. Sometimes what began as a fully dressed fly becomes threads and it continues to produce. Start over - game over.
    New fly - exact as possible - you just can't start over.

14. Jamie Wilson

I am convinced that you should only fish your sharpest hooks. To do this you need to sharpen them in the field.

15. David Dalan

David Dalan 69°19'15.35" N 18°44'22.74" E

Owner 2 and 4.

Blake Harmon likes this.