Your favourite Green Drake and Emerger?

A couple of more flies that I am looking forward to tying for my forthcoming trip to Montana. Looking to you for your favourite dressings to try and copy for my trip.

Thanks for your help in advance.

:beer1:

scottflycst

I love fishing the brown and green drake hatches of late summer and fall in the Northwest, some of our best mayfly fishing for sure.
I have good luck on an olive hair-wing dun and a couple specialized soft hackles I whip up. Emergers fished in the film are usually the bomb during a surface hatch, I've fished an olive x-caddis in the film and done quite well too. Check out the mayfly emerger patterns Dave Hughes writes about, they're very effective. A size 12 is most common for our bugs.

You may like to know that he advised me that he tyes the fly with a deliberately small tail in order to make it sit in the water 'easier'. He also explained that the wing on the naturals were larger but tying them smaller helped with the casting.

I was a bit cheeky and went back to him when I found a book he had written from a book stall at the exhibition and got him to sign that - but 'Feck' it you only come this way once!

He came across as a really nice guy and we laughed our heads off at our joint inability to work out echange rates between dollar, euro, krona and pound as I negotiated a price for the fly which ended up just over a dollar - but all good fun.

:beer2:

Philster

Take a glass pie plate. float your favorite green drake, and a similar style of adams (hackled, parachute, paradun, etc.) Let me know what you see from below.

Richard E

I tie flies for the nymph, emerger, and dun. I'm not sure where I picked up the first two, the latter is an A.K. Best pattern.

That said, my best experience on a green drake hatch was using a #10 parachute Adams!

Dick

View attachment 39618 View attachment 39617 View attachment 39616
Word.

Tough to beat a parachute Adams, or a regular Adams with bottom hackle trimmed.

I also second the recommendation for a hair wing dun. I'd suggest a comparadun and sparkle dun, but that's the brown or green drakes are big bugs and my experience with these types of hair wing flies at this size is they don't float that well . . .