Z Axis 5wt or 6?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by greenriver, Dec 13, 2007.

1. Porter

Porter Active Member

Yes..there are definite benefits with a longer rod. Not only are there different tapers for rods but different lengths...so many choices :beer2: :thumb:

2. qrider13

qrider13 Member

My favorite steelhead rod is a 6wt Sage 6100. I use it with a Rio multi tip line. It casts forever and doesn't mind the wind at all. I think it would be way overkill for a trout rod and would go with a 5 or smaller for trout. Why would you over line the rod? If the Sage is too fast, go to a slower action rod. :beer2:

3. rick matney

rick matney Active Member

It's not that they are fast; You overline because it makes it easier to turn over an indy rig or streamer, the added actual wieght and size of the head of a size bigger line really helps as well that as well with mending. Try it. :thumb:

4. qrider13

qrider13 Member

Rick- Thanks for the information. I will give it a try, using a 7.

5. Jason Decker

Jason Decker Active Member

Home Page:
    i would recommend you meet in the middle and get a 9'6" 5wt
    i have one and it is by far my favorite rod, great for streamers and
    unbelievable nymphing, double rig, indicator in the wind........
    great mending power, light weight

on this rod, i have the new orvis 5.5wt WF line
    and it is perfect. the 6wt line is ok but not as good.

6. yuhina

yuhina Tropical member

Home Page:
    I would say, before you buy 10 footer, you should try it first!:ray1:

I have Zxis 510. They feel quiet different from xp 590. I was buying the Z for high sticking. But I think they are "not that great" as in my imagination. Still great rod though, still and will keep it for lake fishing.
    I think the problem is the called "swing weight" one foot longer definitely give you advantage to mend line, but also the swing weight increase as well. How much? I am tell you when I want a versatile rod nymphing in middle size river/ pocket water, I ALWAYS pick up the XP 590 first! This is just my experience though... I feel the 9 footer are NOT that short and give me a lot of versatile and quick control... in high sticking...at least I feel the difference in my hand... JustMHO

7. greenriver

greenriver Member

thanks for all the replies.

8. nb_ken

nb_ken Active Member

I'm with qrider13 on this one. Seems to me that overlining was an answer when the industry was really pushing broomstick-stiff top-end rods. I still think that if you have a slower casting style, you're better off getting a slower rod than overlining a fast rod. I think you can mend a 6wt line with a 6wt rod just as easily as you can with a 5wt rod.

I guess if you're doing primarily big streamer fishing you might want to carry an extra spool for that purpose. But for everyday stuff, I'd say match the line to the rod and the rod to your casting style.

9. Matt Paluch

Matt Paluch Active Member

Home Page:
    Kind of... Overlining a rod is generally a way to get it to flex more which will increase your line speed and allow you to feel the cast more. The taper of a line will determine how it turns over more than overall weight. Rod builders design a 5 weight to cast a 5 weight line not a 6. There are lots of options out there that will allow you to do what you want without turning your fast action 6 weight into a medium fast 7 weight.

10. Denny

Denny Active Member

It's tough to beat a 5 weight as an all-around Western trout rod. Uplining the rod depends on you; if you're an OK to intermediate caster, and much of your fishing is within, say, 40 feet, you may consider uplining the rod by one line weight.

11. Denny

Denny Active Member

12. Jamie Christian

Jamie Christian New Member

Since your in KY, I guess your going to fish the TVA tailwaters etc. I grew up on those waters and my favorite rod their is a 9' 5wt. I have both rods, but I never use it on the rivers your going to fish.

13. greenbucket

greenbucket Royalty of Renton

Home Page:
    I've got the Z-Axis in the 490-4 and the 691-4 because I wanted to cover as many options as I could. The hardest part of making the choice (for me, anyway) was that the 4, 5, and 6wt rods are distinctly different rods. Not that one will feel "slower" than any other, but I cast all three side by side and each one had it's own "feel" to it. All very cool, but that didn't make the decision making any easier.

Oh, btw, I picked up a 5wt Winston WT at a pawn shop for 200 scoobies to cover in between them.

Oh hell, just get the 5wt - you'll be fine.

Peace,
    Aaron

14. Porter

Porter Active Member

SCORE!!!! :thumb::beer2:

15. Denny

Denny Active Member

If a person wanted a "Wimpston" . . . grin. :)