Z-axis of shot guns??

I'm new to upland hunting and looking to invest in a decent 12 ga. I'm looking for a shotgun that's akin to the Sage Z-axis (or XP) of fly rods. In other words high end main stream, but nothing fancy. Would a Browing Citori 625 Field be akin to the Z-axis? What about the Fausti guns that Cabelas now carries? Your help is much appreciated.

shawn k

dont buy a 12 gauge if all you are going to do is upland bird hunt. Get a 20 or 28 gague
I am partial to berettas but I also have a browning citori.

Jmills81

The Dude Abides
dont buy a 12 gauge if all you are going to do is upland bird hunt. Get a 20 or 28 gague
I am partial to berettas but I also have a browning citori.
ahh, sure, if you are hunting release site birds, but a 12 gauge is standby on wild birds when your only shot could be a long one

From Quail to Pheasants, a 12 is the most versitile gun in my opinion

der ya go

A Beretta 687 could be a nice choice for you. That's a hell of a gun

There are many fine o/u guns. I'm partial to brownings, weatherby makes a fine gun, the italians are sexy too. You'll only be happy with a gun that fits. It's that important. It ain't like a fly rod, it must fit.

I personally think the benelli autoloader is the most versatile, most reliable, and easiest to fit. I sold a nice browning o/u to get it. But I understand.

Get a 12 ga. Again, more versatile than the others.

gt

as a long time shotgunner, 28ga for upland birds choked IC/IC. this is 1/8 oz less shot than the 20ga and a great deal lighter and way more fun to use frequently. i prefer the O/U over other actions for upland.

best thing is to go shoot some at a skeet range to see which stocks fit the best. there is a world of difference in the combs of these off the shelf units. length of pull can easily be accomodated by a competent gun smith.

I have a Beretta 685 O/U 12 ga. that I love, but the fixed chokes make it very expensive to shoot anything non-toxic. Tungsten is running about $2.50 / shell.

Itchy Dog

Some call me Kirk Werner
I have a Beretta 685 O/U 12 ga. that I love, but the fixed chokes make it very expensive to shoot anything non-toxic. Tungsten is running about $2.50 / shell.
I have that gun as well, and love it. O/U guns just feel nicely balanced. However, if I were to have just one shotgun, it would be my Benelli SBE. It's not an overly heavy beast (so easy to tote while chukar hunting), mounts and shoots real nicely, is a snap to clean, and shoots 3" and 3.5". It's a do-everything gun, from upland to waterfowl to turkey. Shoots buckshot at coyotes nicely, too. I also have a Z-Axis. :thumb:

Jeremy Floyd

fly fishing my way through life
I have a Franchi 612vs. It is an automatic.

It is a good gun. since 2002 only one shell has stove piped in it and that was my fault for not flipping the piston on it for low base shells.

It will cycle with the lowest target loads. You can invert the piston for shooting high base and it greatly reduces the recoil and barrel rise. I have the matching 20 gauge too that I have had since the 70's so it is a tried design with many years of service.

The silver pigeon, baretta (sp?) 20 gauge. 12 guage is overrated in my opinion. I have a side by side 410 that I love hunting pheasent with. Tight groups fun to shoot. Leathal if you know what you are doing.