Zip up waders, whats the verdict?

Discussion in 'Fly Fishing Forum' started by filson, Nov 1, 2008.

1. Caddis Skater

Caddis Skater Member

Just wait for a all day rain and you will be glad you have a zipper and can keep your jacket on while doing the deed.

I have the simms and love them, going on my second year with no leaks. I can say I only use them in the winter time as they are alittle thicker material than my G3 waders.

Just my 2 cents.

2. filson

filson Steve Wilson

3. HauntedByWaters

HauntedByWaters Active Member

I fish in the rain all day all the time and don't mind getting a little damp while peeing. Wear poly fabrics and things should be all right with a little dampness.

A blown out crotch in my waders would ruin my day and having them fixed would ruin a couple weeks (just in a fishing sense).

4. ZigZag

ZigZag Member

portland oregon, Chico California, Tahoe, Reno NV.
    A piss break is a good time to rest the water chk your knots maybe change flys. I can recall a time at pyramid lake chuck & duck 250gr of shooting head. Tucked my rod into my ladder, walked to shore took a piss, waded back out & had a 7lb Lahontan cutt on my fly! The one fish all day..

5. Tim Lockhart

Tim Lockhart Active Member

The 8 seconds it takes to shed a rain shell is no issue...at least to me. And given the brimmed hat and remaining layers that stay on I have yet to miss the rain shell for the 14 seconds it takes to drain it. That aside, there was another objection to the zip-waders, a significant one, mentioned in post #2:

6. Jim Wallace

Jim Wallace Smells like low tide.

Cranberry Country...a glorified coastal swamp!
    :rofl::rofl::rofl:
    Hey, that reminds me of a good one. Once I came around the bend and surprised a truck-drivin-but-shooda-been-inna-lezbaroo gal I know discreetly hangin her backside over the transom of her boat, verily pollutin the tidal flux (excusable though it was, as it was high tide, and the inevitable runnout would disperse the effluent). Main thing was, i got my laughs in for the morning, and was able to take advantage of her "being dead in the water" and get upstream of her and hit some virgin water. :rofl:

7. T.Vince

T.Vince New Member

8. Dan Page

Dan Page Active Member

I got a pair of the Vision zips a few years ago to try out. I only use them in the winter. When it's pouring rain it is very, very handy. I think a quality zipper would be the last place to leak. Mine never has, but the waders have developed some seam leaks--after much use. I personally don't like the bulkiness of the zipper at my chest when summer fishing. I use the non-zips when weather is good.
    I'm intrigued with the new Reddington sonic weld waders and may try them next.

9. lastcall

lastcall Member

Wow, you're the man. I don't think I could even find it in 30 seconds and then it would take two or three times that long to drain it. I must be getting old. Actually I know I am.

10. Dan Nelson

Dan Nelson Hiker, Fisher, Writer, Bum

Home Page:
  11. Brian White

Brian White Recovering Bugmeister

Further from MT than I'd like (B-vue, WA)
    I have the Redington Sonic-Pro zip waders and I like them a lot. In addition to being easy to get in and out of, you can also zip them down to cool off when you have the chest waders on but are on a long walk or out of the water. And yes - should you need to relieve yourself it is easy to do. For what it is worth, some guys are going to pee where we probably shouldn't - that is true regardless of whether waders have a zipper or not.

For the price I think they are an excellent choice and in my limited experience Redington has excellent customer service - another bonus.

So far I've had no leaking or other issues with the zipper. That wader model also has nice hand warmer-pockets.... My only complaint is that the sizing is not quite right for me - i am 6'1 175 with size 12 feet...The large waders have an integrated wading belt that is too big for me (32" waist), but the feet aren't big enough to fit my feet. If I recall, the XLs fit my foot better, but seem geared toward a much huskier wearer. I think I should've gone with a Large tall or similar. Having said all that - they are still probably my favorite chest waders to date. Only my old simms wading pants (rest in pieces) surpass these in my heart.

12. Don Freeman

Don Freeman Free Man

Simms will install a smaller horizontally mounted relief zipper for around $100 when you order a pair of G3's. It looks almost exactly like what I had in my Viking Dry Suit 20 years ago for hundred of dollars more.

I saw the first one of the G3s come into the shop last week, and I was really impressed. Ask your local dealer.

Keep the zipper clean of debris with a toothbrush, and lubricate with a beeswax stick and you're good for years. Do a little research on whose zippers they are using, some are much better than others. I've been out of the dive business for years, so would call a reputable shop and ask them for a recommendation. 20 years ago, the top end was YKK, but I don't know now.

13. Steve Call

Steve Call Active Member

A friend has had a pair of Hodgman's with the zipper for two years of hard use. He swears he'll never get waders without a zipper again. No leaks at the zipper, but a couple of leaks on leg seams. I was tempted when I got my G3's last year, but I think Simm's wanted an extra $100 + for G4's with the zipper.

Try on several different brands and buy the ones that fit the best. The zipper is a great convenience, but overall fit is more important.

14. Rick Todd

Rick Todd Active Member

With my Simms convertibles I can easily pee without removing the suspenders (just loosen the Velcro belt and they slip down enough to relieve yourself) and they easily convert to chest highs when I want the extra coverage for wading deep, warmth or dryness. I really think these waders are the Bomb! Rick

15. Corky

Corky New Member

I'm about 40 trips into vision extremes and reckon the zip is the business .Love seeing the pals whipping off the jackets and vest while I can just zip down and roll it out there ;).