yarn + bead 'flies'. These are just some examples from my reserve stash - my 'good' ones are in my actual fly box in my garage. These are the large beads for salmonsteelheaddollies - especially with a little color to the water.
Well, I tried that, but the corkies kept floating on the top and adding a slinky or pencil lead was too hard to cast. On the plus side, I found the shrimp smelley jelly worked really well as reel lube (but not so well on the marabou feathers).
trial and error is where its at... i get way more of a rush catching a fish on a fly that i made myself and wasnt a "tried and true" pattern which everyone knows about. Innovation is where its at... way to go... i agree those will work just fine!