Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Glass & Grass Rod Casting 'clave August 8th in Redmond

Fiberglass 
7K views 74 replies 22 participants last post by  hbmcc 
#1 · (Edited)
Let's get together Saturday August 8th at 9:00 AM in Redmond to cast cane and glass rods. Bring your own rods and you can try others' rods too! Also please bring chairs (to sit on) and folding tables or horses (to put rods on). BYO food and drinks too. The park has few amenities for a group gathering - but it's a big open and flat field and gets very little use, so should be perfect for the main point of this gathering: casting fly rods!

Meet in Redmond at Cascade View Neighborhood Park. It's across the street from part of the main Microsoft campus off NE 40th and is just a few blocks off Rte. 520. Address and map:

CASCADE VIEW NEIGHBORHOOD PARK
16202 NE 40th St, Redmond, WA
http://binged.it/1LqAjAB

Hope to see you there!
- Tom

#7 ·
I'll be there and bring a bunch of rods some of which will likely be unfamiliar territory for most people. Some of them fall into the love it or hate it category of tapers others are more standard. All are bamboo.

TC

#8 ·
OK,,,, I need to show up because I ranked on this subject from my first post on WFF. Redmond has never been a convenient trip, so I hope to open the park, or never will get there.

I will probably be lobbing a carbon based tool. There will be two bamboo, neither fished and one is probably older than me, WM Victory. I will bring a James Green glass blank that I was hoping to do a switch from--selling it.

What about Steve Kokita? He must be sick of catching dead trout by now. Lue Taylor? Both can avoid weekend hoards on the water.

#9 ·
I'll plan on attending. It'll be great to meet folks that I've corresponded with over the years, but have never met in person.

I'll bring some of the rods I use, including 9' WF4 and WF6 rods I use for lake fishing, the 10' 3-piece rod I use for "spey casting" heavy strike indicators, 8'9" WF6 and WF7 rods I use for sea-runs, and others. I also have a few "classic tapers" I've made over the years that may be of interest, e.g. a Garrison 212, PHY Perfectionist, PHY Midge, and Cattanach "Sir-D".

Tom

#10 ·
I'll plan on attending. It'll be great to meet folks that I've corresponded with over the years, but have never met in person.

I'll bring some of the rods I use, including 9' WF4 and WF6 rods I use for lake fishing, the 10' 3-piece rod I use for "spey casting" heavy strike indicators, 8'9" WF6 and WF7 rods I use for sea-runs, and others. I also have a few "classic tapers" I've made over the years that may be of interest, e.g. a Garrison 212, PHY Perfectionist, PHY Midge, and Cattanach "Sir-D".

Tom
OK, now I have to tell my wife I'll be gone all day with those rods there this will be amazing. Looking forward to meeting Tom B, Tom L, Bruce, Tim, John, and hopefully all the other bamboo and glass fans around…I know there are lots more. Ron

#20 ·
I forgot about the Sir D I'll be bringing along. Many of you have possibly heard of this taper, but never had a chance to cast one. This is another ofWayne Cattanach taper's that is a 7' 4 wt., taper modified by the late Darryl Hayashida. Very fast for a bamboo rod and lots of fun to cast to rising trout on a lake or stream.

Mike

#29 ·
damn, bummed I can't make this one...

my, uh, "social coordinator" tends to over-book our summers...(although this particular weekend was all me, and I'm not cancelling that date...)

If we can manage to get this going again next year, or even another one this year, I'll likely have the Bandit (being worked on as we speak) along with a half dozen other glass rods.

Cheers,
Randy

#34 ·
I'll be there early with 8 rods strung up for folks to try. We've got houseguests and my bride has our day fully scheduled, so I'll need to leave midmorning.

K

Reactions: para_adams
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.