Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

silverfly on the big island

Tags
big island on
3K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  rotato 
#1 ·

Guy got to go out for a day of offshore action with my good friend Bob Duerr on his boat the "Mo Betta"

The day lookedpromising with a nice little rainbow over Pu'uo vent. Seas not to bad for Hilo standards.

Guy, aka silverfly got all covered up for the hawaiian sun. We ran south looking for big ahi. We were he first boat to hit "D" buoy and when we circled the yellow FAD the shotgun went off and broke the green stick and almost took the rod out of the boat, only to be saved by the saftey, but as Guy got to the rod the fish threw the hook, big ahi!

We trolled to another buoy that we knew had some finicky mahi on it. We finally got them on some bait, they refused Guy's beautiful flies. They had never seen such beautiful flies and were afraid to destroy them.

Can you see Guy's mahi?

A little easier.

Underwater shot.

Guy with dinner, yes the fish is out of water and has a big gaff in it.

Back at the dock, we ended up getting 6 mahi to 15lbs. Guy was good fun to fish with. He is snorkeling down at Kapoho today, hope he gets a couple of papio.

Meanwhile my friend's got this Ahi on the way back in. So we just missed something like this, but that is fishing. I look forward to fishing with Guy again in the future. Mems.

See less See more
#7 · (Edited)
Thanks again Don and Bob for getting me out there! Came close to connecting on the fly but sometimes they just want meat. I'll never forget seeing that big school of mahi chasing those flying fish. Too cool. Blackened mahi was a big hit the next night!

Food Table Water Furniture Tableware

Also caught some fish back at the house on Kapoho bay. Not so thrilled to catch a cold/flu bug on the last night, but I'd rather be miserable travelling and at home. More pics coming when I feel "Mo Betta" ;).

#8 ·
Next time, Christmas Island. All flies will get chewed.

Thanks again Don and Bob for getting me out there! Came close to connecting on the fly but sometimes they just want meat. I'll never forget seeing that big school of mahi chasing those flying fish. Too cool.
Blackened mahi was a big hit the next night!

Also caught some fish back at the house on Kapoho bay. Not so thrilled to catch a cold/flu bug on the last night, but I'd rather be miserable travelling and at home. More pics coming when I feel "Mo Betta" ;).

#9 ·
Hey Guy, glad you had a good time, post some pictures of your Kapoho fish. Hope you got some papio. I have been doing well with bones this week. Got a couple yesterday and three the day before that. We are trying to get offshore soon, just have to see what the hurricane does. right now just looks like big surf. Don.

#10 · (Edited)
Hi Don,

Had a great time, thanks again!

I did get a decent papio on a spin rod popper, but not for lack of trying with the fly rod. The only fish I landed there on flies were hawkfish and saddle wrasse. Reef fish are tough to catch even with bait! Smaller flies would have helped, but still wasnt easy after I picked up some #14 baithooks at the local market. Finally started to get their number and caught several threadfin butterfly fish, more wrasse, and hawkfish. Also got an invasive, but very beautiful, peacock grouper (roi) on a spin rod popper.

Lots of fish in Kapoho. Saw an omilu I would guess at about 5lbs. Also on the last afternoon I was on the deck and spotted a pair of large snapper shaped fish cruising the shore. They were gone by the time i got down there, but so were the usual clouds of reef fish which supports the predator ID.

No easy (or safe) way to release fish in the water at this spot hence the quick out of water shots (except for the invasive roi).

Water Sky Cloud Shorts Vertebrate

Glasses Water Goggles Sunglasses Recreation

Water Fin Underwater Fish Cartilaginous fish
Vertebrate Fish Reptile Beak Feather

#17 ·
I did get a decent papio on a spin rod popper, but not for lack of trying with the fly rod. The only fish I landed there on flies were hawkfish and saddle wrasse. Reef fish are tough to catch even with bait! Smaller flies would have helped, but still wasnt easy after I picked up some #14 baithooks at the local market.
This is a great comment SilverFly. You just articulated an important reality check for those who have seen my reports over the years and have gotten the wrong impression that Hawai'i's various reef fish are pushovers and you can expect to catch dozens every time you try. One clueless fool even claimed he could easily duplicate my catches (and literally catch every fish in Hawaii) with a fly that imitates a frozen pea (chumming with frozen peas used to be popular among snorkel guides to attract fish to their clients, but has been illegal for over a decade). I called him out and asked him to please try and post up his results. He became extremely quiet after that.

It isn't that easy, even for those who use bait as you said. But it is very fun and every fish is earned. Glad you had a nice trip!

#18 ·
This is a great comment SilverFly. You just articulated an important reality check for those who have seen my reports over the years and have gotten the wrong impression that Hawai'i's various reef fish are pushovers and you can expect to catch dozens every time you try. One clueless fool even claimed he could easily duplicate my catches (and literally catch every fish in Hawaii) with a fly that imitates a frozen pea (chumming with frozen peas used to be popular among snorkel guides to attract fish to their clients, but has been illegal for over a decade). I called him out and asked him to please try and post up his results. He became extremely quiet after that.

It isn't that easy, even for those who use bait as you said. But it is very fun and every fish is earned. Glad you had a nice trip!
Very true. Not that I was expecting reef fish to be easy, but I have to admit they are much more challenging than I expected. Makes sense though considering the hyper-competitive environment a coral reef is. These fish are the supreme masters of bait stealing. It amazed me how quickly and cleanly they could strip a hook. Often without feeling the slightest tug.

I was able to catch quite a few using a slip bobber, but the most effective technique was using bait on a fly rod (blasphemy, - I know) with a floating line. Some squid or mahi scraps on #14 "AH" style baithook with a small split shot was the ticket when retrieved under very slight tension.

Kinda glad I decided to not take a tying kit, since I would have been spending way too much time experimenting with patterns instead of enjoying just being there. Next time I will bring flies tied on much smaller hooks, and maybe using softer materials so they hold on for a millisecond longer before spitting the hook.

Great fun any way you slice it!

#19 · (Edited)
Very true. Not that I was expecting reef fish to be easy, but I have to admit they are much more challenging than I expected. Makes sense though considering the hyper-competitive environment a coral reef is. These fish are the supreme masters of bait stealing. It amazed me how quickly and cleanly they could strip a hook. Often without feeling the slightest tug.Kinda glad I decided to not take a tying kit, since I would have been spending way too much time experimenting with patterns instead of enjoying just being there. Next time I will bring flies tied on much smaller hooks, and maybe using softer materials so they hold on for a millisecond longer before spitting the hook.Great fun any way you slice it!
wait until you start chasing the vegetarian surgeonfish and unicornfish with tiny seaweed patterns...that is a whole different ballgame!
View attachment 146317
Vertebrate Organism Fin Fish Electric blue

Automotive tire Glove Personal protective equipment Wrist Wood

#22 ·
View attachment 157673
I've had good success on these nenue lately on a green seaweedy pattern with few 1/2 inch strands of Krystal flash for a "tail". The takes have been savage. These things are insanely tough fighters for their size.
They also take the insanely huge dumps on the boat!

Sent from my Moto G (4) using Tapatalk

#24 · (Edited)
Cool fish Mingo. Those look a LOT like pile perch. I saw a few while snorkeling and was wondering what kind of fly they would eat. I was thinking something alone the lines of a crazy charlie. Wouldn't have guessed seaweed!

And as much as I love miso soup, and pretty much all Japanese food, I'll pass on the fish turd seasoning. I'd bet that nenue are good eating though,.

#25 ·
Hawai'i was awesome. We both can't wait to go back but we'll have to for a while. We have two weddings to subsidize for our kids this coming year (2 down, 3 to go!).

Four days wasn't enough in the house south of Hilo. Didn't get to take out a kayak but had great fishing right in front of the house. Originally my wife and I rented it as a bonus getaway after a full week on Kauai with the entire family, but we invited her sister and BIL (sans kids). They needed the break even more than we did and they ended up having a "rekindling" of sorts. We really wanted them to remember it. When I jokingly suggested doing a painting for them to my wife, I pretty much had to follow through. Been a while since I've picked up a brush but think it turned out OK (made my SIL cry on Christmas so mission accomplished :) ).

http://www.washingtonflyfishing.com/forum/attachments/20171223_192320-jpg.157591/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.