Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner
24K views 269 replies 47 participants last post by  meh.meh.meh.meh.meh. 
#1 ·
The north Sound winter blackmouth season opens February 16th. Every year I think about targeting them, but weather or other fishing opportunities get in the way. Various reports I've been hearing indicate decent odds this year. Yesterday I blundered into a fat hatchery blackmouth and some rezzies while fighting a chilly north wind. It always surprises me how well they fight on a 6wt fly rod.
Water Fin Fish Marine biology Underwater

Daily limit is one hatchery blackmouth at least 22 inches. I need to give this a couple of good tries this month. BBQ chinook in February would be nice. Anyone else thinking about putting in the effort from shore?

See less See more
#184 ·
Had to change plans this morning and fish somewhere the north wind wasn’t gonna ruin everything. That involved a longer drive and I only had about twenty minutes before sunrise. It got really bright soon after that too. Hooked up a couple of coho. Lots and lots of bait around. All the grebes and goldeneyes were slurping down anchovie-sized baitfish—maybe that’s what they were, I don’t really know. Anyhow, gonna try again tomorrow morning.

P.S. My fingers were markedly warmer with the nitriles today. Lots better. And tying knots is easier with thawed fingers covered in nitrile than it is with numb frozen fingers without gloves.

#209 ·
I was out with the wife, wind was still brutal but managed to find a spot where I could semi use it to my advantage.
Water Cloud Sky Natural landscape Fluid
birds started diving on bait shortly after we got there. Made the best cast I could with the wind to my back right. Grabbed it 3 times on the first cast 2nd cast hooked up on the first strip.

Wife had no idea what was going on as she looked for rocks on the beach. Finally got her attention to lend a helping hand if needed. After landing it she says she wants to catch one. She knows very little about fishing and didn't want a crash course in throwing a fly. So I run (as best I could in neoprene chest waders) back to the truck to grab a gear rod and a green/white Clarks spoon. Birds were just about gone when I made it back. She made a couple casts with no luck.

Using floating line, 10' 15lb leader and 6 second count down.

Hand Gesture Finger Scaled reptile Wrist

#210 ·
Man, that's great! I was thinking about that very spot actually and wondering what the odds would be there. There's a good kelp bed off the point, at least in the summer. I kinda grew up in that bay but really only fished the point for lings and rock fish when I was a kid.

#213 ·
keep practicing you will enjoy it. it is a good time and lots to learn on the side. the way I have been running them is my favorite way so far. so much to learn smaller groups willing to discuss outings, pictures, and lots of good tying style discussions and ideas come up. get a pattern down and jump in the next swap. clousers are good and so many ways to tie them, colors, size, materials. I honestly think I fish a clouser the most. only thing that changes from cutthroat to migrating coho is size for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.