Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Fishing Halfbacks

5K views 49 replies 29 participants last post by  crazywednesday 
#1 ·
I recently counted all of my fly fishing boxes and realized that I have over 25 that hold a dizzying array of flies-most of which I have never and will never use. All of the guys I fish with know that I catch the majority of my fish on size 12 or 14 Halfbacks. It is my go-to fly from the spring opener until the last day of the season. Last week I took my biggest fish of the season on one. The success of the HB has allowed me to shrink down the number of boxes I take to the lake with me now and often just 2 boxes and a chironomid pack are all I take. I have really simplified things.

Although I will readily give these away no one else I fish with seems to have any luck with them. However, I recently had a PM from a fellow board member that uses them extensively and ties them almost identical to mine. It really encouraged me to find someone else that is dialed into HB goodness.

So what makes them so good? For starters they are about the same size, color and shape of many organisms that you will find in a fishes stomach. they seem to fish well in waters that see a lot of gaudy bead head buggers and particularly well toward the end of the season after fish have seen every possible iteration of a wooly bugger or leech. Fishing them seems to be particularly suited to us elderly guys as they are pretty much a do-nothing presentation but more involved than chironomid staring. I fish them on fast sinking lines, usually Type 5 or 7, deep and slow. I'm always amazed at how big fish find these things in deep water. Because of my success with them I have learned to use nothing lighter than 3X flouro and tie them with a loop knot. Hooks are always S82 3906B Mustads that come sticky sharp, they hook and hold being 2X long and 3X heavy.

When you need a break from slinging tungsten and stripping like crazy give these a try, it is a relaxing way to catch big fish and lots of them. Yeah, there are days that I get out fished by guys using leeches or recently-Boobies-but on average I can hold my own. I am not too proud to beg if a certain pattern is just kicking my ass and I have none.

See less See more
#10 ·
Reactions: Olive bugger
#12 ·
I can not remember when I last fished either a half-back or a full-back but I sure did when I was younger.... great fly... its funny how you get onto new flies and forget about the ones that got you started...... like Rat-faced Mcdougals, Spruce flies, Black gnats and Mosquito patterns....... I think I have a box of half-backs somewhere that I need to find.......

#15 ·
like Rat-faced Mcdougals,
Haven't heard that one mentioned in a long time, It killed one day on the Yak for me and my brother in law about 35 yrs ago.

#17 ·
I remember way back when, a long time ago, you showed me that pattern and how to tie it. I still have some and use them on occasion. They are a productive pattern. The ones I tie are only half as good as yours, so I call them a "Quarterback".

#19 ·
Yeah Rick, we are all different but the best part is that we all catch fish! I think to some extent we have a little of that .."if it ain't broke don't fix it" mentality. Learning how to fish a few patterns really well makes a lot more sense to me than changing flies like a butterfly in a flower garden.

I would kinda equate the latest hot fly contingent with the noobs that think an $800 fly rod will catch them 4 times as many fish as a $200 model.

Get good at what you got before you get more.

#25 ·
So Ive, do you tie yours with pheasant tail legs up front, or do you rib yours with hackle kinda like a wooly bugger? I’ve seen it tied both ways it seems.

A pic would be great, to echo dp.

Wayne

#34 ·
That's a good looking pattern Ron, any idea what the tail fibers and beard feathers are? I still fish bead heads on some stuff but am trying to get back to pre-bead patterns instead. The fly you show fills the bill, used with fast sink lines, a long leader and loop knot it seems that the flies move more naturally in the water. I could be full of crap but it seems to work for me.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.