Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Coronavirus Degrees of separation

41K views 536 replies 113 participants last post by  meh.meh.meh.meh.meh. 
#1 ·

Relative of a friend has it. Confirmed by test.
The relative had been a visitor to the nursing home in Kirkland.

I imagine there will be increasing numbers of people with decreasing degrees of separation in the next two months.
I was very surprised to learn my number went from unknown down to 2 so suddenly.
No contacts between the friend and their relative, so small number does not mean risk at this point.

Stay rested and recover from flu and colds as fast as you can, so that you are in good health when coronavirus comes your way.

J

#249 ·
The seasonal flu kills many more each year than this bug, no big panic over the seasonal flu. Both of them are not able to carry the robe for the motor vehicle. No panic over that killer either. Stupidity kills thousands each year and we live with that. :D I try to avoid the stupid, get my flu vaccine and drive like every one else is trying to kill me. Some thing is going to get me sooner or later so I don't worry about the end of life. It is coming quickly towards me over the horizon.:confused::D

#270 ·
View attachment 230768
I actually watch The Walking Dead and when i had seen some of the photos of vacant highways i thought of the first season. I don't have Twitter but i guess others thought the same.
Maybe a good time to have our highways paved. Comparisons to flu deaths are a joke. We have a vaccine for that virus and very few deaths. All we have for Covid is a rapidly decreasing resource.

#252 ·
Now I wonder if I can fish any Oregon rivers now that Gov. Brown has issued a stay at home order. I wonder if that stops me from fishing the Hood or Deschutes? Maybe I can claim the order does effect me because I am a Washington resident. Oregon Parks already told me this morning that I can’t cross the lands of an Oregon State Park to get to the river because the park is closed. I wonder if I can get a prorated refund on my expensive Oregon Non-Resident License.

Almost 12:30 and I’m still in my PJs and slippers.

#253 ·
The way I read it is yes. For all outdoor recreation you must stay 6' apart....so no hoglines.

I feel pretty good about my musky fishing since I rarely see anyone else doing it, although yesterday I was lowholed by Johnny bassboat. I mean, you've got this huge lake and he drops in 30' in front of me in the direction I was clearly working. That's ok, I got a couple of pretty hot follows nearby.

#254 ·
For those interested, the CDC reports that so far, this year, there have been 4,800 deaths and 87,000 hospitalized due to influenza if you wish to do a comparison.

Would also point out, as far as death rates go; initially they will tend to be high, especially in cases of first-time epidemics, due to instances of people who contract the disease but do not report or are positively diagnosed as having it. For example, South Korea, which has been aggressive in diagnostics, reports a 1.9 fatality rate. Sure, it's still almost 20 times the rate of influenza, but you can see how numbers can vary initially until more comprehensive studies can be evaluated. And also understand that the influenza numbers include 196 children since the beginning of the flu season, a demographic not, to my knowledge, yet impacted by the coronavirus.

Not saying you shouldn't be concerned, just not hysterical. At some point, I am going to need to buy paper towels and tp, so I would appreciate it if you all left me some. :rolleyes:

#258 ·
I go out once a day to take out the garbage. Last Saturday I got cabin fever.. So I went out and cleaned all the cardboard boxes that have collected on the front porch. I had more energy that I have had in the past. It must be that I'm still in the losing weight mode. Being that I'm now an old bastard, I stay home and beat on this computer.

I just want to live for a few more years. My Dad's mother lived to be in her 90's. I'd like to live that long. only 5 years to that age.

#259 ·
For you folks saying "oh well, the flu kills more every year"...this puppy's just getting started, that's a false equivalence. Even if you look at things conservatively, there are ~328 million people in the US. All of the current info says that 40-70% of the population will get infected. Let's go conservative and go with 40%, so that leaves us with 131.2 million infected. With the fatal percentage being anywhere from 1-3%, let's go conservative and say 1%....that still puts us at 1.3 million fatalities. So yeah, folks should be worried....not to mention the help in the hospital load that something as simple as social distancing can help with (provided everyone actually does it, otherwise it doesn't fucking matter), at least then because the hospitals won't be over capacity and can actually keep additional people from dying.

stay safe out there...and, yes this is something to take seriously (that's very different from buying up all of the TP you can get your hands on).

#260 ·
as the stock market continues to decline, Trump and his GOP cheerleaders are now saying they may remove social distancing as an order and allow businesses to reopen! in the meantime Boris Johnson has locked down the UK, quite a contrast.

and this morning i got to the local Costco as they opened their doors. they now have it set up so you have to form a line, social distancing in action. walked in and right inside the door was 3 pallets full of toilet paper. the gal just sort of automatically handed me a bundle. so maybe the hoarders have run out of storage space, we can all hope.

#266 ·
The real horror of this virus will prove to be the lack of ventilators.

This disease kills by the virus attaching it's cell hooks into lung tissue and replicating at a furious rate until the lungs can no longer exchange oxygen. Without a ventilator to force oxygen exchanges, a seriously ill virus victim chokes to death.

They are so short of ventilators in Italy the country just implemented a directive that only those under 60 will be put on a ventilator, so those over 60 seriously ill with the virus will die.

As of now there are 200,000 ventilators spread out among all the US hospitals, and the projected need to fight this virus as it peaks is 1,000,000.

The current respirator manufacturers, and there are only a dozen, just recently went into production 24/7, and as to the car companies jumping in to build them, they are still in the 'planning' stages.

So if anyone thinks social distancing isn't vital, or taking every sanitary precaution possible to avoid getting this virus...

#267 ·
The real horror of this virus will prove to be the lack of ventilators.

This disease kills by the virus attaching it's cell hooks into lung tissue and replicating at a furious rate until the lungs can no longer exchange oxygen. Without a ventilator to force oxygen exchanges, a seriously ill virus victim chokes to death.

They are so short of ventilators in Italy the country just implemented a directive that only those under 60 will be put on a ventilator, so those over 60 seriously ill with the virus will die.

As of now there are 200,000 ventilators spread out among all the US hospitals, and the projected need to fight this virus as it peaks is 1,000,000.

The current respirator manufacturers, and there are only a dozen, just recently went into production 24/7, and as to the car companies jumping in to build them, they are still in the 'planning' stages.

So if anyone thinks social distancing isn't vital, or taking every sanitary precaution possible to avoid getting this virus...
Or volunteer to forgo a respirator when you do acquire a Covid-19 infection and require medical assistance. Save resources for those who aren't so blase about life.
Steve

#268 · (Edited)
20200322_071932.jpg

Yesterday at Fred Meyer, and I was there by 715am. Saw two people with carts full on my way in and easily 50% of the people had 3 or 4 large packs in there carts as I went around the store. As I checked out, the lady behind me had 3 big packs and I joked that "TP" was the new currency.. she nervously chuckled and said this was the first time she bought it since the crisis started.. I let it go, and headed home.

I do like that Costco isn't accepting returns on TP, paper towels, cleaning items that people are hording.. maybe they'll give it to friends and neighbors.. or build a fort out of it!

#274 ·
Social distancing. I do it and it seems that most of you are doing it. It seems the the people in Italy aren't doing it. Or NYC. I only go out when I really need to get something that we need. The kids down in Florida aren't doing it either. It just seems that the people on the East coast are brainwashed by Trump. I don't believe a word that comes out of his mouth anymore.

#286 · (Edited)
For you folks saying "oh well, the flu kills more every year"...this puppy's just getting started, that's a false equivalence. Even if you look at things conservatively, there are ~328 million people in the US. All of the current info says that 40-70% of the population will get infected. Let's go conservative and go with 40%, so that leaves us with 131.2 million infected. With the fatal percentage being anywhere from 1-3%, let's go conservative and say 1%....that still puts us at 1.3 million fatalities. So yeah, folks should be worried....not to mention the help in the hospital load that something as simple as social distancing can help with (provided everyone actually does it, otherwise it doesn't fucking matter), at least then because the hospitals won't be over capacity and can actually keep additional people from dying.

stay safe out there...and, yes this is something to take seriously (that's very different from buying up all of the TP you can get your hands on).
I agree, it's equivalent to comparing apples and oranges. Influenza has been a focal point for the medical community for years now, and the research has drastically reduced the mortality rate. Don't forget that the flu was responsible for some deadly epidemics in the past. The coronavirus, where you can be contagious for up to six days without displaying symptoms and it's ability to survive on surfaces, puts it in a whole other category.
I agree with the concept of social distancing and I'm no epidemiologist, but it seems to me you would be more likely to contract the disease from contact than by inhalation. But that's just my opinion, I could be wrong.
Scariest thing I saw was that nurse from Seattle describing how people went to the hospital with symptoms no worse than reddened eyes and never returning. She also stated that it was the only symptom common in all the patients she saw yet it is still not listed as a symptom of the disease; how messed-up is that?
The major reason people bring up the influenza comparison or motor vehicle fatalities is to illustrate how we engage in activities with a higher "body count", as it were, without batting an eye. Sometimes our priorities seem strangely inconsistent.

#292 ·
Doesn't seem like the younger folks like me are as "safe" as the media wants to say we are. Very few younger folks have died, but many have been hospitalized to the point where if not in ICU they likely would have died. Many of these people don't have "underlying medical issues" and many have been people who are very fit and healthy folks.

Bottom line is we still know very little about why this disease infects some so horribly and others so mildly to where they wouldn't know that they had it. Everyone be safe, stay home as much as possible, and stay active in the yard or outside in a safe manner. Get your vitamin D & C going and stay hydrated.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.