Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Push or pull with a Minn Kota

Boats 
2K views 22 replies 13 participants last post by  clarkman 
#1 ·
Doing a 12ft V hull Marlon build mostly for still waters up here in BC
Made a casting deck with a seat post up near the bow and thought with this seat, the 50 electric trolling motor could be fashioned with a mount fabricated to make it work

My question: is there benefits to a trolling motor at the bow or the stern?
Thanks

Tire Wheel Automotive tire Motor vehicle Tread

Currently the Minn Kota is mounted at the stern

See less See more
#3 ·
Some questions we asked ourselves. Where will it not foul gear? Where's the battery and wiring cleanest? Are you going to use it to hold position in the wind (no current in a lake), maybe with the main motor? One anchor or two, again holding? Where do I have most control of my boat, (my son likes to see the motor, even when using the remote)? We found best control, both for holding and for working and casting structure was up front, but our boat is much bigger.

#8 ·
Nice toy! We found up front works best for us. Besides the motor eating a rod, or tangling carelessly handled deck line fouling in the handle (I've seen it but not us yet), our only issue was a wild steelhead getting fouled while fleeing the net, which was no great loss, we considered it caught. We find up front makes it easier to troll out the back if desired and clean weeds too.

#9 ·
Doing a 12ft V hull Marlon build mostly for still waters up here in BC
Made a casting deck with a seat post up near the bow and thought with this seat, the 50 electric trolling motor could be fashioned with a mount fabricated to make it work

My question: is there benefits to a trolling motor at the bow or the stern?
Thanks

View attachment 234020

Currently the Minn Kota is mounted at the stern
Buy a foot controlled bow mount..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.