Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Albacore Roll Call 2021

28K views 509 replies 46 participants last post by  Poopy McButtfart 
#1 ·
What a difference a year makes. Here it is mid-January and I'm already getting inquiries about tuna trips. So even though tuna season is still 7 months out, it's probably a good idea start getting an idea of who, and how many, want to give this a shot. No commitments, or carving out charter dates at this point.

When the time comes to start booking dates, I feel safe in saying the charter @Nick Clayton works for out of Westport will be the primary WFF choice. That said, this is about expanding/exploring/promoting PNW albacore as a fly-fishery, not a specific operation or business. As far as I'm concerned this is open to anyone arranging a trip with any charter, or any private boat. The more the merrier!

Also, one useful bit of info to add with your name, would be a preferred timeframe (if any). That could be very helpful choosing crewmates. The season typically starts mid-July and runs through early October. With the better fly fishing (again, "typically") later in the season.

Can't wait. It's looking like a whole new ball game this year!

#143 ·
Trolling is far and away my least favorite type of fishing, gear or fly. But, if the albies aren't showing themselves on the surface, it's tough to find them in the open ocean without trolling. Sometimes its just a necessary evil. Ideally we get some days where we can just run and gun, chasing down birds and jumper patches.

Be sure to bring a few musky flies and some bite leader....never know when we might happen upon a mako :)

#151 ·
I am booked on a mid August boat with Nick and I am super excited. Let's hope everything that needs to come together does! Anyone else already start tinkering with flies just for the hell of it? I woke up too early to start my honey do list so decided to play around some more....
View attachment 268744
Looking good. If you're dragging those squids, be sure to you don't set your drag too tight and hold on!

#166 ·
I'm sitting here waiting for the thinset underneath some tiles that I set to dry enough to pull the levelers out, so I took a couple of minutes to create a bogus Google account (PowerBaitProstaff2021@) to create an editable spreadsheet with a basic format that people on WFF could use to do things like let people who want to be "on call" put themselves on a sharable list if someone on a particular trip has to bail.

I won't be offended if no one wants to use it, since the only other thing I'd have done with that time is swill a beer and watch "Jerry of the Day" videos on YouTube. If people actually use it it's something that could be sent via PM to keep random yahoos from messing with it

I couldn't figure out how to keep the link from getting displayed as media, so if you want to use the link just put lowercase "h" at the front of the URL

ttps://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/108gNcujQ8GfGYN4eBqPPiBpNlbWAYzsC6c0lSxOrhic/edit?usp=sharing

#168 ·
Folks who've fished Albacore before:

I realize I forgot a dark back, but I on the right track here with this tube fly? Any feedback and criticism is welcome.

View attachment 269030
Looks good! Maybe run a dark marker down the back? Probably doesn't matter but then again I wouldn't know :)
Discussion about tube fly vs conventional ties would be good to have!
What kind of head is that?

#171 ·
Id fish it. Some days thats all you would need. Other days you'd think they thought the fly was poisonous and avoid it like the plague. I cant express enough how crazy these fish can be.

Until you cast a fly into water that is just frothing with albacore and they completely ignore it, its hard to understand.

As far as tubes vs standard....In my experience tubes are fine. I dont really mess with them simply because I haven't found an advantage to them. Haven't found a disadvantage either though

#172 · (Edited)
As far as tubes vs standard....In my experience tubes are fine. I dont really mess with them simply because I haven't found an advantage to them. Haven't found a disadvantage either though
I like them because I can use short shank hooks and avoid the whole leveraging issue, but that's with sea runs and coho. I also like the ability to change hook size.

They also don't get savaged as quickly by things like barracuda.

For tuna, I'm going with the "tie as many different flies as I can think of" method. It assuages my ADD and since I don't really know what I'm doing my plan is to throw a bunch of stuff at the tuna and see what sticks them.
Insect Wood Arthropod Close-up Pest

I'm also going to throw the flies my 5yo tied because I promised the little bugger.

By himself:
Wood Flooring Hardwood Eyewear Auto part

With mom's help:
Arthropod Wood Insect Organism Wall

#176 ·
Done the salmon meat runs, and tuna trips off coast of Oregon, did a dory a couple years ago out of Pacific City Oregon. Something happened to me in my 40's. Use to go out in the ocean, use to do carnival rides , but then I burped and farted at the same time and since I can no longer do sea waves or carnival rides without getting quezy. I think that chapter of my fishing life has ended. And it really sucks!!!

#183 ·
Eh there is no real standard size. The people who sell the bait go out with a big boat and net them up, so it just depends on what they catch. It changes fairly often as they cycle through their bait pens. Ive seen days where we get a million 2 inchers in a scoop, and Ive seen days where they are ginormous. On average Id say 3-5"

#211 ·
What reels are folks on this thread using. Prior to booking this trip, the biggest rods I owned were 8 and 10 weights. I have Orvis Hydros for those rods.

I want to be considerate of the fact I probably won’t be fishing the 12 a ton. That said, I intend to chase more than tuna with it. If it was just 1-2 tuna trips a year, I’d probably not think twice and buy an Echo Bravo based on Nick’s earlier recommendation in this thread. He recommended the Orvis Hydros awhile back (previous model) and it is one of the best recommendations I have ever come across on the board. I own 6 or 7 of them now. I also have not come across a ton of reviews of the Bravo online.

If I were to use that 12 more often - maybe occasional tarpon, etc. type trips, should I consider something more like Galvin Torque or Sage Spectrum Max or would a Bravo be just fine? Do I need to consider something even more high end than the Galvan? Based on my experience buying smaller weight fly gear for years, I know higher cost does not mean better performance/durability. For those with more experience than I, does it make a difference with gear used on big saltwater species? In the end, I’ll buy what makes sense but I do not want to purchase a Mercedes when a Toyota will do the job!

#212 ·
What reels are folks on this thread using. Prior to booking this trip, the biggest rods I owned were 8 and 10 weights. I have Orvis Hydros for those rods.

I want to be considerate of the fact I probably won't be fishing the 12 a ton. That said, I intend to chase more than tuna with it. If it was just 1-2 tuna trips a year, I'd probably not think twice and buy an Echo Bravo based on Nick's earlier recommendation in this thread. He recommended the Orvis Hydros awhile back (previous model) and it is one of the best recommendations I have ever come across on the board. I own 6 or 7 of them now. I also have not come across a ton of reviews of the Bravo online.

If I were to use that 12 more often - maybe occasional tarpon, etc. type trips, should I consider something more like Galvin Torque or Sage Spectrum Max or would a Bravo be just fine? Do I need to consider something even more high end than the Galvan? Based on my experience buying smaller weight fly gear for years, I know higher cost does not mean better performance/durability. For those with more experience than I, does it make a difference with gear used on big saltwater species? In the end, I'll buy what makes sense but I do not want to purchase a Mercedes when a Toyota will do the job!
IMO Sage Spectrum drag is weak sauce for blue water fish (tho probably fine for Albies). Go Galvan, Ross, Abel if you're going to get a bunch of use out of it and if you like shiny stuff that you'll never have to replace. I've really enjoyed a Torque 10 on my 12wt. I cut down my fly line a bunch and added a ton of extra backing and I've been glad I did on a few occasions.

#217 ·
Public service announcement - I have had to cancel a reservation with Allrivers for Saturday, September 11 due to the emergence of a long-term obligation. The reservation was for their 29’ boat with cap’n Nick.

No guarantee it’s still open or they haven’t shuffled boats around, but that’s a primo Saturday, should be right in the thick of bloody deck season. Would love to see it go to a bunch of misfit bugtossers rather than gear slingers!

#218 ·
Public service announcement - I have had to cancel a reservation with Allrivers for Saturday, September 11 due to the emergence of a long-term obligation. The reservation was for their 29' boat with cap'n Nick.

No guarantee it's still open or they haven't shuffled boats around, but that's a primo Saturday, should be right in the thick of bloody deck season. Would love to see it go to a bunch of misfit bugtossers rather than gear slingers!
Is there one spot on that day or the whole crew booked for that day is a no go?

#225 ·

I want to be considerate of the fact I probably won't be fishing the 12 a ton. That said, I intend to chase more than tuna with it. If it was just 1-2 tuna trips a year, I'd probably not think twice and buy an Echo Bravo based on Nick's earlier recommendation in this thread. He recommended the Orvis Hydros awhile back (previous model) and it is one of the best recommendations I have ever come across on the board. I own 6 or 7 of them now. I also have not come across a ton of reviews of the Bravo online.

If I were to use that 12 more often - maybe occasional tarpon, etc. type trips, should I consider something more like Galvin Torque or Sage Spectrum Max or would a Bravo be just fine? Do I need to consider something even more high end than the Galvan? Based on my experience buying smaller weight fly gear for years, I know higher cost does not mean better performance/durability. For those with more experience than I, does it make a difference with gear used on big saltwater species? In the end, I'll buy what makes sense but I do not want to purchase a Mercedes when a Toyota will do the job!
I had the same thought process back when I started albacore fishing and didn't want to splurge on a top shelf setup. I picked up a Winston Boron 3x 12wt on closeout and a Galvan Rush 12 reel. I had a few issues with that reel (the rod has been great). On 2 occasions I had the spool come off the frame when under a heavy load of a running fish. It happened once when the rod was in a holder when trolling. Before I could even remove the rod from the holder the spool bounced off the transom, off the bracket, and into the water. You can imaging what a cluster that led to. If I had to do it again, I'd have never sold my old Danielsson HD 9thirteen. I had one of those on my 9wt spey rod and sold it because I really never needed a 9wt spey set-up. The Danielsson was a tank and would stop a truck. Looks like they now go for about $300.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.