Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Puget Sound

257K views 3K replies 240 participants last post by  speedbird49 
#1 ·
It is true.
The place sucks. Believe everything you've heard.
The ferry ride was expensive, no fish, traffic is bad, lots of people and the scenery is terrible.
Stay away for your own good......;)
SF

Cloud Sky Water Atmosphere Water resources

See less See more
#1,450 ·
A sound powered telephone on Puget Sound on the MV Issaquah, an Issaquah class WSDOT ferry
View attachment 279678
big piece of petrified wood and lots of beach glass. One piece was a marble, so clearly people have been tossing stuff on this beach to get beach-glassed
View attachment 279679
Nice haul of glass boot.
I always find myself looking for it while walking around on our beaches.
Finally found some reds pieces which have eluded me for awhile.....
Yellow is another tough color to find, at least for me. Marbles and stoppers are always bonuses.
SF

#1,453 ·
"The rebound of marine mammals in Washington is not without its consequences.

Recovering populations of northern resident killer whales, sea lions and harbor seals on the West Coast have dramatically increased consumption of Chinook salmon in the past 40 years - a challenge for managers charged with protecting burgeoning marine mammals and declining salmon alike. Endangered southern resident orcas also have more competition for already scarce Chinook."

She didn't list any of the human (fishing, dams, deforestation, urbanization, pollution, etc.) or environmental factors (drought, changing ocean conditions, etc., some of which may be human-caused) that are contributing to the decline of salmon. Seems like a real missed opportunity to paint a complete picture instead of singling out marine mammal salmon predators as a scapegoat.

#1,455 ·
Fished the big incoming tide in Case Inlet from shore yesterday. Managed one nice SRC before this HUGE salad "raft" flowed in. This thing was even in the deep, I couldn't get under it. Every retrieve was fouled. Got discusted after an hour and went home. The current was moving along and this thing wouldn't stop. A true beast. Though I was crestfallen, I just find the Sound an amazing organism..

#1,461 ·
The ethics of donating money to refloat and glam refit a boat to offer high end cruises to raise money for cancer research are murky at best.

Caveat emptor, there are plenty of charities that do very little other than solicit funds to pay their administration.

If you want to raise money for cancer prevention or treatment efforts check out some of the highly ranked charities:

#1,462 ·
Thanks for bring this up. I've quit giving to several charity's, when they spend so much money sending me solicitations in the mail. Like everything now days, they pull at your heartstrings to enrich themselves. Charity's, spend my money fixing the problem instead of furthering your bottomline..

#1,475 ·
Sometimes there are really big horse herring out at Swiftsure, but I’ve really never spent any time out there here this early in the season.

Could also be outmigrating smolts. I don’t know if some of the resident silvers migrate out that way occasionally, as I have a memory of talking to Les Johnson back in the late-90’s and a swear I recall him mentioning catching resident silvers out at Neah Bay, but if I remember correctly he was talking about inside the Strait... and probably back in the heyday of the resident silver program.

Wish I could be of more help as I never saw anything like that but my spring fishing was either well inshore for bottomfish or running to the charter spots for halibut (charters didn’t fish Swiftsure for halibut). I’ve spent a little time in other friend’s boats fishing halibut spots between Flattery and Swiftsure like Limp Dick but again, never saw loads of juvenile sized fish on the surface.

#1,483 ·
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.