#1 ·
Fished the out-going tide last night.
Saw one chummy jump next to shore
and another jump further out. One good
tug from a Coastal Cutt but nothing
to hand.

Dave

#3 ·
Christ. Drove by there 7-8 days ago and saw neither fish nor snaggers. Was hoping to have a snagger-free experience in the early stages of the run, but that's probably next to impossible in Kitsap.

Thinking I may bring along the new waterproof HD minicam this year and, at the very least, amuse myself by posting the footy on youtube and cross posting it to local fishing forums.

Called them in last year but the WDFW just don't have the manpower to be everywhere at once.

The only moment of levity came when one of the snaggers at Curley set his snagging rig into a big-buck, the line broke, and his rod-tip whipped straight back into his nose and broke it. Instant karma.

#7 ·
Chum can be mean and aggressive. I'll add hot pink to Stonefish's list of good colors. When you see them around and they are not biting what your tossing, change up. Once you find it you'll get a workout. Curley Creek was already mentioned. Do a search here on the site and I bet you'll find a few other places. Expect crowds and just wade off to find your own space. Best of luck.

#16 ·
It's probably a fluke. I'll back Tony up on this one that it's a tad early. Especially the Minter fish, usually a Thanksgiving fishery. Of course there are a few that come and go before and after. But usually this is silver time of year. But I'm sure it could've been Chum, just an early one or two.

#17 ·
Last year I talked to a couple of fish and game guys at curly and they were of the opinion that there were very few chum that return to that creek and that most of the fish were silvers, every year I go down there a few times just for the joy of casting to fish I know are there, but without success, although last year I did get a couple of follows, I went last Wed. and was casting to alot of beautifully colored up silvers that at times were all around me but had no interest in anything I was trying to con them into hitting, saw alot of jumpers close up not a one was a chum salmon all silvers some very large amazing fish that would really put up a fight if I could only figure them out.

#18 ·
There's fish showing at Chico as of today. Couple of schools of a dozen or more fish evident in the shallows from time to time, with the odd fish or two heading upstream.

The only strikes I saw in a few hours of fishing either by Chico or Blackjack went to guys chucking cut plug herring under bobbers. After tossing the kitchen sink and getting nothing but a tap I may start drifting an epoxy herring pattern 18" under a popper....

#19 ·
In Case Inlet, the fish I saw Thursday night, definitely Chum. About two weeks ahead of last year's schedule it seems. Most of the creeks out here that have Chum runs start slowly mid October and peak around Halloween. K Creek near Shelton peaks early November. Agree that that they are a little early though and right on the heals of the coho, which were slim pickings this year imo.

#22 ·
I cannot speak of that which I do not know. Not sure I've ever read "chum" and "epic" in the same sentence before, but I like those ugly monsters. Run timing is always important, but it seems that weather, and potentially dozens more variables that I'm not bright enough to know about, may have altered the expected or traditional run times on lots of fish. I'll try to make a scouting trip or two.

#26 ·
I saw them netting two days ago south of Jeffs head and on the east side of BI. One was pulling his nets off of Yeomalt Point and it sure held a lot of fish. There is little wonder why I drew a blank. I was sooo pissed. Between the Indian nets and the commercial seiners there are no fish left for anyone else. I'm burning over this...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.