Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

Beads

Spey 
20K views 185 replies 48 participants last post by  golfman65 
G
#1 ·
OK I am done bitching about beads now. I just think its a crappy way to fish and its just an opinion. Everyone likes to fish the way they feel confident and enjoy fishing. I sometimes blame beads for a bad day? who knows? That fish that seen my swung fly (that I spent time building - not from a bag of plastic balls), has been pricked by the bead = that fish wont bite! I wonder if everyone swung flies, maybe the fishing would be different. I know one thing, if we all swung flies you would see less fisher-people. It is more difficult, in a different way? I can say that flailing that stupid bobber, helicopter bead and bobber effect looks difficult (honestly more difficult). So my efforts to change the outlook of fishing the real way for Steelhead are futile. I would rather be caught belly up, floating in the river than using a bead rig. To share the river with a true bait slinger would be more fun than a bead guy. That's just me and that's just my bitch! To top it all off I read an article in a magazine about a bead guy just this morning. I threw up before I could make it to the toilet.

G
#100 ·
Come to think of it..the best part of this bead thread WAS that the goddamn long liners were leaving us skagit guys alone for a change...

So now Stew, you've just become someone else's bitch too....were back to the low men on the totem's pole!!!

#102 ·
Women who fly fish often have a unique perspective on fly guys, the equipment that they use and the correlation it has to their own gear. Stew, the fact that you have such an on-going strong emotional reaction to small beads tells me that you are projecting. The fact that you use a spey rod tells me that you are compensating as well as projecting. Your wife has my deepest sympathy. :rofl:

golfman, neither a bead or a tube fly is legally a fly under WA state rules so neither one can legally be fished in fly fishing only waters.

#123 ·
G damn that Stewart! Don't he know by now that bead threads go in the main forum, not the Spey forum? Now there goes 20 minutes of my life I'll never get back, however it's nearly always entertaining to read about threats on life because of bead fishing or criticizing bead fishing. A good topic for a TV reality show perhaps?

Sg

#136 ·
I just spent the last 30 minutes reading this thread, well 20 actually, five minutes i was bashing my head on the table the other five i was laughing at bunnies!
The bunnies were the best part of the thread!!!!

G
#140 ·
I got a couple questions for you Brazda...this is just for my own curiosity sake as this is the first year I've fished down here....
When did beads start happening out there?

Do you think or worry it will have any cross over effect? I ask this as I see your out of Ellensburg and wonder if you see it happening on the Yak.?
Would it matter on there if it did? Seems it would suck if you were fishing the afternoon march brown hatch, do guys know any better? ( asking as I've seen the cross over effect of guys bottom bouncing on the Fraser when they open the sockeye run and then see it happen on all the other rivers afterwards)

Do you swing flies as well as beads on there for you clients and which would you prefer to see if not given the fact that as a guide you are paid to put people onto fish?

Interested to hear what you think would happen if the powers that be said he couldn't fish from a floating devise..would it totally screw the walk in guys? Would it benefit the fish at all?
I personally don't care what method is used for the hatchery run fish but what is you opinion of the effect of beads when it comes to native fish?
Have you seen any difference in the amount of fish that you've caught that were damaged by improper bead pinning or floaters because of it or would you say it's about the same as with any gear method?

Last, what is your position on beads for fly fish only water in the state of Wa.?

I look forward to hearing what have to say as it's interesting to what guides think about all of this and you'd be the ones who would see it first hand...I have talked to a few and some don't seem to care for it, others it doesn't bother as they are swinging and looking for different fish....So it would be interesting to hear your side for a change...

#150 ·
I got a couple questions for you Brazda...this is just for my own curiosity sake as this is the first year I've fished down here....
When did beads start happening out there?

Do you think or worry it will have any cross over effect? I ask this as I see your out of Ellensburg and wonder if you see it happening on the Yak.?
Would it matter on there if it did? Seems it would suck if you were fishing the afternoon march brown hatch, do guys know any better? ( asking as I've seen the cross over effect of guys bottom bouncing on the Fraser when they open the sockeye run and then see it happen on all the other rivers afterwards)

Do you swing flies as well as beads on there for you clients and which would you prefer to see if not given the fact that as a guide you are paid to put people onto fish?

Interested to hear what you think would happen if the powers that be said he couldn't fish from a floating devise..would it totally screw the walk in guys? Would it benefit the fish at all?
I personally don't care what method is used for the hatchery run fish but what is you opinion of the effect of beads when it comes to native fish?
Have you seen any difference in the amount of fish that you've caught that were damaged by improper bead pinning or floaters because of it or would you say it's about the same as with any gear method?

Last, what is your position on beads for fly fish only water in the state of Wa.?

I look forward to hearing what have to say as it's interesting to what guides think about all of this and you'd be the ones who would see it first hand...I have talked to a few and some don't seem to care for it, others it doesn't bother as they are swinging and looking for different fish....So it would be interesting to hear your side for a change...
PM on the way...

#141 ·
Is this what we are reduced to? The different fishing tactics groups constantly at odds? Totally ineffective method of unifying a group of folks concerned with the impending demise of the pacific steelhead. Diversity should be a strength, not a constant means of putting us at odds with each other. I don't care how you fish, so long as it is legal. I'm sure Dustin will say that killing one wild fish on the OP each year is legal and call me out on it. He's right and if you choose to catch and kill one wild fish each year you are legal. I'll say that I'm not a fan of that law, but I can live with our differences. This whole thread is a testament to the tearing down of any possible effort to unify.

Fish how you want, legally. Handle your fish with care, legally. Rub elbows with your fellow anglers, despite their tactics, methods or gear used. Support practices that help wild steelhead. If you can't do that then you are part of the problem. If enough of us are part of the problem then there is no hope for a solution.

#146 ·
Mumbles, with all due respect, I think we can simultaneously work to protect mother nature and her beautiful fish, and rib, joke, or flatly disagree with each other about fishing methods. I don't judge the measure of a man by what methods he uses to fish, and I would gladly stand next to a bead fisherman in any efforts to do what is right for our natural resources,.....and they would probably be standing next to me already cause they just lowholed me:clown:

I think this thread has shown itself as just an outlet for some fun and jokes to be had.

G
#147 ·
mumbles, why is your ginch in a knot? I thought trying to ask the guides for first hand information would be one of the ways to put this sucker to rest once and for all?

These guys are on the front line and brazda fishes many different systems so I would think he would know and it would be a good time for the guides to chime in on the topic...

and I'm not bidding on no damn bead from stew....You never know what him and Jhoh were doing with those things..

just saying...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.