Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

We all buy coffee on the way to the river? Right? Just when you think you've read it

Spey 
2K views 21 replies 17 participants last post by  stewart dee 
#1 ·
all, you're proven wrong again..:ray1:

"Are Tip Jars Dangerous? Lawsuit vs. Starbucks Says "Yes"
By Chad Garrison, Wed., Mar. 9 2011 @ 10:37AM

Danger! Use only at your own risk!

​Finally! A reason to feel OK about yourself when you don't tip those low-wage workers making you coffee, pouring you a soda or slapping together your lunch.

Tip jars are dangerous! Worse than that, those containers full of coins and a few $1 bills can kill! Seriously. It happened to Roger Kreutz.

Okay, so the tip jar didn't actually kill him, though it certainly played a contributing role. Kreutz was waiting in line at a suburban St. Louis Starbucks in 2008 when he saw a teenager walk off with store's tip jar. The 54-year-old gave chase and, in struggling with the suspect in the parking lot, fell down and hit his head. He died two days later.

The tip jar contained less than $5.

The teenage suspect, Aaron Poisson, was sentenced to a year in jail for manslaughter and later sought -- and received -- forgiveness from Kreutz's brothers. Apparently, though, Kreutz's father isn't of the forgiving kind -- especially when there's money to be made.

After suing Poisson for wrongful death (the case was settled last fall), Edward Kreutz Sr. has now sued Starbucks on behalf of his son's estate. As the Post-Dispatch reports, Kreutz's father is seeking unspecified damages from the Seattle-based corporation, arguing that the company "invited the act of perpetration of said crime" by having the tip jar on the counter.

Moreover, Starbucks did not warn Kreutz -- and other patrons -- of the potential harm of the tip jar.

So, folks. Remember this the next time your barista makes doe eyes at you as he hands you your change. Put the money in your pocket. If you wish, you can tell him you're not cheap. You're just playing it safe. You don't want anyone to get hurt."

:p

See less See more
#4 ·
We all buy coffee on the way to the river? Right? Just when you think you've read

If this makes into a court,:beathead: They should impeach the judge that thinks this case has merit.

#8 ·
We all buy coffee on the way to the river? Right? Just when you think you've read

If this makes into a court,:beathead: They should impeach the judge that thinks this case has merit.
I hope you're sooooooo right! Wonder if the case is in a Kalifornia Court? That could be deep do-do for 'Love my Bucks.'

Edit: Odd as it may sound, there's just me here, so a full pot of coffee on the way to the river is a 'why?' Of all places, there's a local 7-11 that kicks out some of the best I've ever had. $11.00+ for 11 oz of beans at Safeway (is there a 'Safeway?) ... or $1.39 for a huge container that will last all morning and no waste? Just walk in with a hot thermos (sp?), fill her up and you're good to go for hours.

Just thoughts here, just thoughts.

fae

#9 ·

Guess I'm safe as I always make my own coffee before leaving the house.

Sg

PS: as mentioned above, this is a case without merit, not that I care a whit about Starbucks or Shultz.

#10 ·

I'm a Starbucks whore, have the gold card, pay with my mobile phone, etc.... Only buy the brew, $2 is all. Actually feel bad because I rarely leave a tip anymore since I don't pay with cash. Today put $2 in the jar. By the way, I don't know what they pay but their employees get decent benefits, at least medical benefits anyway.

If this case gets to court, the judge should be fired and then if the jury gives an award, they should be sent away themselves for awhile. As much as I dislike the legal profession, it is not the attorneys who are the problem. It is the judges and juries who are screwing us all on a regular basis.

Wayne

#11 ·

I worked for Starbucks for about 3 and a half years. We cut the bottom out of our tip jar so when some assclown tried to make off with it all the change would fly all over the counter. Very noisy and they would run like hell or say something stupid like "huh didn't know there was no bottom on that."

#12 ·

I worked for Starbucks for about 3 and a half years. We cut the bottom out of our tip jar so when some assclown tried to make off with it all the change would fly all over the counter. Very noisy and they would run like hell or say something stupid like "huh didn't know there was no bottom on that."
Nice!! It's just amazing what people will sue over. I mean, really? C'mon!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.