Washington Fly Fishing Forum banner

6wt or 7wt for a switch...

Spey 
6K views 39 replies 20 participants last post by  McFly 
#1 ·
Mostly because I'm stuck watching the season dwindle down while I'm chained to the house with work and sick kids, I figured I'd play rod lust a bit. I've getting rid of a few rods and have been offered the odd switch as a trade. I hadn't thought much about switch rods until then, but now of course they are on my gear whore mind.

Are most people using 6wt or 7wt rods as an all around switch? I know that we all consider 7wt the all around spey rod. But given that most people seem to use switch rods as summer run smaller water rods (with many doing salt duty as well), I'm thinking that 6wt is maybe a better bet? I've got a trout 5 switch and 6 and 7 speys. So I don't really NEED a switch. But if I had one, I'd probably use it for stilly summer runs, dollys, pinks (?), and hell, maybe even some salt water (though I almost never fish the salt).In terms of spacing, having a 5 and a 7 switch makes sense. But I'd rather have a 6 if that was the more fun rod to have for the use.

Just in case it matters, I would be using it for spey style casting. I wouldn't ever bother to try and use it as a single hand rod. I guess if I went to the beach with it, I might try two hand overhead. But mostly it would be a small spey for me.

#2 ·
I think it depends on the spey rods you have. I have TCX's, 12'6 7 wt. and 14' 9 wt. and a 5 wt Zaxis switch. I was thinking about buying another switch to fill in the gaps. I really don't need one but if I were to do that, I'd look at the actions of the other rods I have and try to fill in with something in between so I had everything covered. As it is, I probably won't buy another since I don't think I really need it. Then again, there is a huge difference between "need" and "desire."

#4 ·
most switches are a little overrated. as in grain window. look at the rio chart at the 7wt switches grain window. they go all the way from 325-480. my 7119 tcx likes a 410 scandi, my 7133 winston likes a 480. if you are thhinking of steelhead, i wouldnt go lighter than 7. a 7 will serve double duty w/skagit line on small water in winter also. for that matter i fish my 7119 for trout the majority of the time. it will handle weighted flies, sinking polys and wind ALOT better than the 6119, and i can cast 90' when i need to. some switches are even wimpier, and an 8wt might be a better steelhead rod. i really dont care what a 14" trout feels like, but i HATE to be undergunned.

#6 ·
first off you always need a new rod. I have a 7110 z-axis and it is probably my favorite rod. I have used for summer and winter steelhead, bull trout, and src. It is the most versatile rod that I own. I use a skandi head and poly leader for summer stuff and a skagit system for winter and bulls. the only short fall would be that it is a little light for the really heavy winter stuff, But that is why I need another rod.

Andy D

#16 ·
I used to fish the 7110 ZA, loved it but felt outgunned many times. The rod just attracted big fish! So far the 7116 ONE has handled big fish with no problems at all. This is the new everyday switch for me. However, I'll still pull out the 8 wt switch in August for the kings.

#20 ·
Josh, wait and try my Angler's Roost 12' 5/6 before you decide, or lay out $$$. It's worth much more than its retail price, and seems to be liked by whoever tries one.

#25 ·
I have a particular 7 wt that I have not found a line that makes casting intuitive which is the way I think two-handed rods should feel. That 7 switch is awkward when spey casting. We tried several lines on a 7wt Z-Axis switch. It was fine but but still felt kind of weird. I am sure there are folks out there who love their 7 wts but Derek's description matched my feelings about the few I've cast.

#26 ·
so the zaxis 7wt is awkward for spey asting. what lines were you throwing on it? scandi, skagit, or both? i've only thrown the 8wt zwitch. i really liked it with a sandi at 28' . didnt try it with a skagit. some rods just have a narrower grain window. and what a differene there can be between 7 wts. burkie 7117 about 450 for scandi, winston 7110 about 325. so, really, one should be a 5 and the other an 8. where do they come up with those numbers anyway? and how ould anyone decide on a rod weight based on an arbitrary number? i dont, but i would use my 6119 tcx for small steelhead, if i had to, but no way on that winston 7.
but then i prefer to land fish quikly.

#27 ·
The real major difference (all things considered sort of thing) between a 6 and a 7 is what you want/need in the way of sinking tips. With a 6 your pretty much restricted to sinking poly leaders or short runs of T 8 or 11. With the extra line grain weights with a 7 larger/heavier heads, larger flies, etc.

#29 ·
I have a 7110 Z-Axis for smaller flows, smaller steel; a 4 wt Echo SR that is an absolute joy to cast for trout; and I traded my Beulah 4/5 to a guy in Canoodia for a Guideline LeCie 7/8 switch, which in America would be considered a 6. It is an absolute hoot for skating dries, it's like a little Skandi fishbroom. I think a hot summer steelhead would have her way with you on a 6 wt switch.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.